New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  07:19:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As is my annual tradition, here are what I consider the finest films I've seen in 2013

1. 12 Years a Slave - Not only the best of 2013, but one of the best films I've ever seen. This is one of those rare works of art that can make its audience better people immediately upon seeing it. There was truth up there on the screen. Chiwetel Ejofor, Michael Fassbender, Lupita Nyong�o and the rest of the cast give unforgettable, heartbreaking, human performances.

2. Gravity - Alfonso Cuaron's masterpiece of suspense, animation, visual effects, camera, and design fires on all cylinders. As in 12 Years a Slave and Captain Phillips, I became so involved that I often forgot that I was watching a movie.

3. Captain Phillips - I came out of this one with a squished hand; it is so suspenseful that my girlfriend was squeezing my hand tightly throughout the whole movie! Tom Hanks is excellent (as always) as a clever captain who survives a terrifying ordeal.

4. Ernest & Celestine - The best animated film of the year. You heard it here first, folks. Watch the trailer here.

5. Blue Jasmine - Cate Blanchett is amazing as the mentally ill widow of a Madoff-esque criminal. Woody Allen's screenplay is heartbreaking, raw, and funny all at the same time.

Other films I admired include 42, American Hustle, The Dallas Buyers Club, Fill the Void, Frozen, Her, The Hobbit 2, Much Ado About Nothing, Nebraska, Philomena, Rush, Star Trek Into Darkness, Wadjda, Wolf of Wall Street, and "Curious George Swings Into Spring" (I worked on that one).

I have not yet seen The Butler, The Dallas Buyers Club], Fruitvale Station, The Hobbit 2, Inside Llewyn Davis, Labor Day, Nebraska, Philomena, or Wolf of Wall Street.

Edited by - GHcool on 18/07/2015 01:35:11

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  09:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jumping on the Cool wagon to share my t'pence:

I clocked up 71 films at the cinema this year, which doesn't quite match my record but is certainly not shabby at all given I've been pretty busy. According to another website I started to use this year (I know... shocking) I watched a total of 241 films this year, and following a promise to myself this time last year I only watched films I've never seen before. The only rewatch in the whole twelve months was Studio Ghibli glorious "My Neighbour Tororo" which was re-released in the cinema, and I couldn't imagine missing.

My top 10 films of 2013:

1. Gravity - for sheer gobsmacking beauty and wall to wall thrills, and for making a 3D film worth watching. Pure cinema.

2. Blackfish - best documentary of the year, heartbreaking and maddening. The shame of Seaworld.

3. Lincoln - DDL on the best form of his life, utterly transformed, in a brilliantly written, smart and important biopic.

4. The Impossible - astonishingly frightening account of the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami, brilliantly acted. I sobbed.

5. Gangs of Wasseypur - a five and half hour Bollywood gangster epic, just as thrilling and gripping as anything coming out of the West.

6. Before Midnight - the third part of the Linklater/Hawke/Delpy collaboration and best so far. Painfully honest, brilliantly true.

7. 12 Years A Slave - a devastating and cruel true story, anchored by a stunning cast and flawless direction.

8. Cloud Atlas - bonkers and surprisingly brilliant adaptation which dazzles with its bravery and quirky multi-role playing cast.

9. Oblivion - one of the most beautiful looking sci-fi films ever made, solid performances and a fascinating concept, not original, but very underrated.

10. Inside Llewyn Davis - the Coen Brothers on top form, the pitfalls of a artistic life, with great performances and a wonderful soundtrack.

--

Notable, and also recommended (4 and high 3s out 5): Safety Not Guaranteed, Stories We Tell, From Up On Poppy Hill, The Gatekeepers, The Place Beyond the Pines, The Past, Nebraska, Rush, Lore, The Sessions, Django Unchained, A Hijacking, Compliance, Mud, Frances Ha, Upstream Color, Wadjda, Alan Partridge, World War Z.

The biggest disappointments based on higher expectations and the hype machine: Les Miserables, Pacific Rim, Elysium, The Way Way Back, Wreck it Ralph, The Hobbit 2.

Edited by - demonic on 02/01/2014 09:07:23
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 03/01/2014 :  02:47:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm usually about six months behind you guys as I watch almost all at home (I've seen two at the cinema this year). Anyway, I've seen less than half the ones listed at a guess, and have added most (21) of the rest of the ones mentioned (including the disappointments) to my queue. I skipped three (sport or comedy/drama or musical etc).

quote:
Originally posted by demon14c

I watched a total of 241 films this year

But the main reason I had to post here is that IMDb tells me (I was curious) that I've watched 262 movies this year (no repeats either). So.... ner ner na ner ner! *

*So yeah, you've probably got more of a life outside movies than I have.

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 03/01/2014 :  11:25:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sean

quote:
Originally posted by demon14c

I watched a total of 241 films this year

But the main reason I had to post here is that IMDb tells me (I was curious) that I've watched 262 movies this year (no repeats either). So.... ner ner na ner ner! *

To be fair, he's only had about 2 days' more life than you this year.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 03/01/2014 :  23:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen as many as you all, since I don't go to the cinema that often after Sundance. [I'm not a member of any guilds, so I have to pay the full freight.] But I liked FRUITVALE STATION, GRAVITY, IN A WORLD..., BLUE JASMINE, THE WORLD'S END, BEFORE MIDNIGHT, and others, including CLOUD ATLAS and LINCOLN, which I saw last year.

Edited by - randall on 04/01/2014 17:21:51
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  08:28:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sean

Oooh, smarty pants. The challenge is on for 2014.
Go to Top of Page

Julia 

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  15:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Fast and Furious 6"
"Fruitvale Station"
"Rush"

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: