Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 28/06/2017 :  15:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Europian
Well, don't you think that's a bit arbitrary in all honesty? In the good old days I would have been horrified if any entry only got five votes; now that is a top week. Couldn't you just have three or however many as an ultimate goal for each review, rather than needing to get them from one airing here? And if you put reviews through again, that's fine. That's what I do when I have run out of recently approved ones. You should also bear in mind that if everyone applied your policy no one would enter. By not doing so, you're discouraging others.

That's just the way I approach it. After a decade of submitting reviews on this forum it doesn't feel arbitrary to me. I'm not expecting anyone else to change the way they enter - but I doubt very much if I'm discouraging others if I'm just waiting for three other people to enter. It's a pretty sorry state of affairs that it has got so stretched to that point.

quote:
Sorry, but I'll keep on lurking if necessary.

Thanks. In all sincerity, though, I would prefer entrants to votes. Entrants are what keep these threads alive. (Also, a pet hate of mine: Why do people here always call voting without entering lurking? Lurking is reading without posting. If you post, you aren't lurking.)
[/quote]

I guess to be precise it's a shortening of lurk voting - taking part without entering the round. You have some peculiar pet hates.

While we're chatting - anyone have any idea what happened to Larry? He seems to be the most recent regular entrant who has now dropped off the radar.
Go to Top of Page

[matt] 
"Cinemattic."

United Kingdom

Posted - 30/06/2017 :  16:50:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'm in the same boat as you, demonic.

I've always been focused on vote average rather than number of reviews, so the gradually dwindling number of entrants has made me less and less excited about entering and writing new ones, as I know it won't be possible to get them up to my personal standards.

A while back I was aiming for 7 votes per review, and if it didn't reach that after an FCYTH with 8 or 9 entrants, I'd consider deleting it. Nowadays getting 7 votes on a new review seems nigh-on impossible!

We obviously need new blood around here since too many of the old guard have lost interest. And perhaps to get new blood involved, the site layout needs a little bit of work* to draw new visitors in better and make the fourum (and this thread in particular) much more visible.

*With all due respect to benj, of course. This site is genius and I probably couldn't write one line of all the code he's written.
Go to Top of Page

[matt] 
"Cinemattic."

United Kingdom

Posted - 30/06/2017 :  16:58:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Just had a look at the Latest Reviews section and there have been quite a few others submitting reviews recently. We should try to convince them all to get involved.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 01/07/2017 :  22:03:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

I doubt very much if I'm discouraging others

You don't enter based on others not entering. It's logical to assume that others don't enter based on you not entering, as [matt] has essentially confirmed. That's your choice, but when one makes a choice one should think about whether it would be good or bad if everybody made the same one.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000