New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 16/03/2020 :  23:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put any five reviews you like in your F.Y.C. list. | Do not use reviews from the previous round: you must change them every round. | Post here to declare that you�ve done it: sooner is better than later. | Provide spoiler warnings in your post when appropriate. | Read the F.Y.C.s of all participants. | The next round starts on Monday at noon or later, F.W.F.R. time.

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 17/03/2020 :  18:41:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting ready for a [Rec]koning.

It's interesting that the original and the remake have adjacent numbers on this site, so someone must have become aware of them simultaneously. It's strange, as I saw each of them when it was released at least a fair few months apart and had no idea what the latter was -- until a few minutes in, that is, by which time the shot-for-shot identicality was undeniable.

Here are my five reviews.
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 17/03/2020 :  22:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lemmy in for #1352.

The Warners 1930 version of Melville's opus bears little resemblance to the novel with Barrymore's Ahab surviving and coming home to marry the preacher's daughter. Very weird, shipmates. Think I'll have a tankard at the Spouter-Inn.

Late in her career, Gina Lollobrigida, along with Jean-Louis Trintignant and Ewa Aulin, starred in Giulio Questi's very strange giallo Death Laid an Egg.

Edited by - lemmycaution on 17/03/2020 22:01:24
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 22/03/2020 :  16:08:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Five music movies

NB:
Elton John's real name is Reginald Dwight.
Before "Whiplash" and "La La Land" made him famous Damian Chazelle wrote the thriller "Grand Piano". It's not good.
Richard Gere plays a jazz trumpeter who falls in love with Diane Lane in "The Cotton Club"
"Mystify: Michael Hutchence" documents the life and tragic death of the INXS frontman.
"Amazing Grace" is a documentary on the making of Aretha Franklin's iconic 1972 gospel album.
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 22/03/2020 :  16:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

Getting ready for a [Rec]koning.

It's interesting that the original and the remake have adjacent numbers on this site, so someone must have become aware of them simultaneously. It's strange, as I saw each of them when it was released at least a fair few months apart and had no idea what the latter was -- until a few minutes in, that is, by which time the shot-for-shot identicality was undeniable.

Here are my five reviews.

No [Rec]3?
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 22/03/2020 :  16:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemmycaution

Lemmy in for #1352.

[size=1][b] The Warners 1930 version of Melville's opus bears little resemblance to the novel with Barrymore's Ahab surviving and coming home to marry the preacher's daughter. Very weird, shipmates. Think I'll have a tankard at the Spouter-Inn.

Weird. Bit like Disney deciding to let Quasimodo and Esmerelda live... not quite what Victor Hugo had in mind.
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 22/03/2020 :  19:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dem20nic

quote:

Lemmy in for #1352.

[size=1][b] The Warners 1930 version of Melville's opus bears little resemblance to the novel with Barrymore's Ahab surviving and coming home to marry the preacher's daughter. Very weird, shipmates. Think I'll have a tankard at the Spouter-Inn.

Weird. Bit like Disney deciding to let Quasimodo and Esmerelda live... not quite what Victor Hugo had in mind.

Walt Disney reportedly said, when previewing Fantasia, "Gee, this will make Beethoven!"

Edited by - lemmycaution on 22/03/2020 19:33:36
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 22/03/2020 :  22:55:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lemmy in for #1352.

5/5
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 22/03/2020 :  23:00:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, no, Elton John is his real (i.e. legal) name, but that was his birth name, yes.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 22/03/2020 :  23:02:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

No [Rec]3?

I haven't seen 2 or 3, though I guess I will have by the end of all this if they're not banned.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 22/03/2020 :  23:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The Warners 1930 version of Melville's opus bears little resemblance to the novel with Barrymore's Ahab surviving and coming home to marry the preacher's daughter. Very weird, shipmates. Think I'll have a tankard at the Spouter-Inn.

I've actually never read, or seen any adaptation of, either, but I guess it's a bit late to avoid spoilers for those.
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 23/03/2020 :  05:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well, no, Elton John is his real (i.e. legal) name, but that was his birth name, yes.

Yes, that's what I meant.

quote:

quote:

No [Rec]3?

I haven't seen 2 or 3, though I guess I will have by the end of all this if they're not banned.

Why would they be banned? Two isn't very good - it gives the whole situation an unnecessary religious angle, and three is absolute shite, barely connected at all.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've actually never read, or seen any adaptation of, either, but I guess it's a bit late to avoid spoilers for those.

Yeah... probably. I can get you not knowing the plot of "Notre Dame de Paris", it's not that widely read I suppose, but surprised you hadn't even heard of Ahab's fate in "Moby Dick" - it's the text book definition of a fatal obsession.
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 24/03/2020 :  20:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Lemmy in for #1352.

5/5

Much appreciated.

Good Health.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 30/03/2020 :  11:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, that's what I meant.

Yeah, I know. It's just that there is this weird fixation with people's 'real' names, as though any name is fundamentally real, and the strange phenomenon people thinking they have the right to know what they classify as someone else's 'real' name. It's one thing when someone just uses a stage name, but when they've legally changed it by deed poll, that's their name. I generally use my initials nowadays and people can be really insistent on trying to find out what they stand for.
quote:

quote:

quote:

No [Rec]3?

Why would they be banned? Two isn't very good - it gives the whole situation an unnecessary religious angle, and three is absolute shite, barely connected at all.

I was being flippant, though one never knows these days: like disaster films not being allowed on 'planes.
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah... probably. I can get you not knowing the plot of "Notre Dame de Paris", it's not that widely read I suppose, but surprised you hadn't even heard of Ahab's fate in "Moby Dick" - it's the text book definition of a fatal obsession.

I knew that it didn't go well. I might add it to this series that I'm organizing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000