Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 44

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 17/03/2008 :  12:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But wait a minute, Edward G. Robinson was also in that film. Then in the film The Prize (1963) he sort of had a dual role in the parts of Dr. Max Stratman and Prof. Walter Stratman, plus in the movie The Man with Two Faces (1934) he has the dual roles of Damon Welles and Jules Chautard.

So, Whipper, which one is it?
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 
"A fourword thinking guy."

United Kingdom

Posted - 17/03/2008 :  12:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Oops.

It is indeed Edward G I was think of, but I had in mind THE PRIZE and THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING (1935), a terrific little comedy which made a minor channel here at Xmas and which I stumbled upon.

How many double roles did he play then??

And If Fred MacMurray played double roles too, did Barbra Stanwyck ever play double roles? She almost did in THE LADY EVE, but she was the same character playing different characters, so that doesn't count.

Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 18/03/2008 :  06:17:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Whippersnapper

Oops.

It is indeed Edward G I was think of, but I had in mind THE PRIZE and THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING (1935), a terrific little comedy which made a minor channel here at Xmas and which I stumbled upon.

How many double roles did he play then??

And If Fred MacMurray played double roles too, did Barbra Stanwyck ever play double roles? She almost did in THE LADY EVE, but she was the same character playing different characters, so that doesn't count.

I see a fourth one for Robinson, The Little Giant (1933) where he plays James Francis 'Bugs' and 'Jim' Ahern. Stanwick did a dual role in No Man of Her Own (1950) with the parts of Helen Ferguson and Patrice Harkness but I don't see any others for her. Interesting.

So... my turn then?

Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 18/03/2008 :  06:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do Bette Davis and Glenda Jackson have in common? And who is the third person who belongs in this list?

Edited by - ChocolateLady on 18/03/2008 07:32:20
Go to Top of Page

rockfsh 
"Laugh, Love, Cheer"

United States

Posted - 18/03/2008 :  15:33:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Playing a virgin queen?
Cate Blanchett? Helen Mirren?

Edited by - rockfsh on 18/03/2008 15:47:13
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 19/03/2008 :  07:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rockfsh

Playing a virgin queen?
Cate Blanchett? Helen Mirren?

While the you are correct that both Bette Davis and Glenda Jackson played Elizabeth I, that's not what I mean by what they have in common. Take a more careful look at their portrayals and you might see why neither Cate Blanchette nor Helen Mirren are the other person on the list. As a small hint, the other person on the list is a male actor.
Go to Top of Page

Beanmimo 
"August review site"

Ireland

Posted - 19/03/2008 :  11:42:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Both portrayals are about specific struggles of Elizabeth one, there is another principal involved. Not about her reign in general.

The third is Quentin Crisp in Orlando??
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 19/03/2008 :  12:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beanmimo

Both portrayals are about specific struggles of Elizabeth one, there is another principal involved. Not about her reign in general.

The third is Quentin Crisp in Orlando??

Sorry, I didn't make this very clear. The fact that both these women played Elizabeth I is coincidental. The third person on the list portrayed someone who had absolutely nothing to do with Elizabeth I. You have to look at the difference between their roles and say Cate Blanchett's movies.

Does that help a little bit?

UPDATE: I just found a fourth person I can add to this list. That would be Don (Donald) 'Red' Barry.

Edited by - ChocolateLady on 19/03/2008 13:29:05
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 
"A fourword thinking guy."

United Kingdom

Posted - 19/03/2008 :  13:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

quote:

Stanwick did a dual role in No Man of Her Own (1950) with the parts of Helen Ferguson and Patrice Harkness but I don't see any others for her. Interesting.

I havent seen the film but from the plot summary it doesnt seem to be a double role as she only assumes the name of another person.

Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 19/03/2008 :  14:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

UPDATE: I just found a fourth person I can add to this list. That would be Don (Donald) 'Red' Barry.

Gosh ... I don't remember him at all, but apparently 'Red' and I appeared in the same episode of Baretta!

I still can't get your convoluted connection, though.

Go to Top of Page

Beanmimo 
"August review site"

Ireland

Posted - 19/03/2008 :  14:05:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

I still can't get your convoluted connection, though.

Yes, I am still trying to work out the question

Your street scholar skills are out of my league.
Go to Top of Page

rockfsh 
"Laugh, Love, Cheer"

United States

Posted - 19/03/2008 :  15:20:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found another connection but not the one you're looking for. Both Bette Davis and Glenda Jackson won the Best Actress Oscar 3 years apart as did Jodie Foster.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 20/03/2008 :  05:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rockfsh

I found another connection but not the one you're looking for. Both Bette Davis and Glenda Jackson won the Best Actress Oscar 3 years apart as did Jodie Foster.

Well, now you're just off track altogether. I'll repeat - it does have to do with the roles they played, but not the person they portrayed. Again, it is total coincidence that Bette Davis and Glenda Jackson both played Elizabeth I. However my hint is, look at the the IMDb entries where they each portrayed Elizabeth I and tell me what makes those movies different from Cate Blanchette's portrayals of Elizabeth I. With that information, you should be able to deduce the third person I'm thinking of, since he is most famous for doing just what Davis and Jackson did.

(See, it wouldn't be a brain-burner if I gave you his name since if I had you'd have figured out this one very easily. When you get it, trust me, you'll be smaking your heads!)

Edited by - ChocolateLady on 20/03/2008 06:11:00
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 20/03/2008 :  09:34:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

it does have to do with the roles they played, but not the person they portrayed.

OK, I admit I'm dimmer than a dim thing in Dimland, but isn't that the same thing?

Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 20/03/2008 :  10:18:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

quote:

it does have to do with the roles they played, but not the person they portrayed.

OK, I admit I'm dimmer than a dim thing in Dimland, but isn't that the same thing?

No, not really. It isn't about who they played but that they played A certain character in certain films.

I'd be more specific but that would give too much away. Again, look at Davis & Jackson portrayals of Elizabeth I. What makes them different from the movies that Cate made of Elizabeth I?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 44 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000