Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

ragingfluff 
"Currently lost in Canada"

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  19:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The AFI just rolled out its Top 100 (again), and again The Godfather and Citizen Kane wrestled for the top spot. I dislike lists of "best" movies, but it got me thinking about really bad films, and wondered about a Bottom Ten: This is subjective, obviously, but here goes with my least favourite, crappiest pieces of cinema history (sequels, which are generally junk anyway, are not included):

Titanic
Twister
Top Gun
Forrest Gump
King Kong (both of the remakes but not the original)
Poseidon Adventure
The Champ (both versions)
The Shining (totally over-rated)
The Godfather (I dislike it for the same reason Peter Griffin dislikes it; "It insists upon itself")

damalc 
"last watched: Sausage Party"

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  19:56:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
boy, tough crowd. i really enjoyed a few of those. and dissing "The Godfather?" Sacrilege!

anyway, the three that i've reviewed and rated 0/5 on fwfr:

The Ninth Gate
Halloween 3
Boat Trip -- Cuba Gooding must be the champ of having an Oscar win on one's resume and wasting it.
Go to Top of Page

MM0rkeleb 
"Better than HBO."

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  20:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Movies that I hate hate hate:

Last Man Standing
The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit (the most boring movie I've ever seen)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (literally chose to watch a blank wall instead of finishing this one)
Mars Attacks! (relentlessly callous)
Mon Oncle D'Amerique

And here's a couple of real shockers:
It's a Wonderful Life (the only Capra film I don't like)
Singin' in the Rain (I honestly do not, and never will, understand why so many people love this film)
Go to Top of Page

Montgomery 
"F**k!"

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  20:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by M0rkeleb

Movies that I hate hate hate:

Last Man Standing
The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit (the most boring movie I've ever seen)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (literally chose to watch a blank wall instead of finishing this one)
Mars Attacks! (relentlessly callous)
Mon Oncle D'Amerique

And here's a couple of real shockers:
It's a Wonderful Life (the only Capra film I don't like)
Singin' in the Rain (I honestly do not, and never will, understand why so many people love this film)

How can you not like Gene Kelly Singin' In The Rain? And, It's a Wonderful Life? We watch it every Christmas Eve. It's a wonderful movie.

EM :)
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  20:40:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure whether I want to include films that I think suck the hardest or films that I think are just really, really overrated.

1. The Last Samurai. This one makes my blood boil. Yeah, America is bad, bowler hats are bad, everything Japanese is good. Progress is bad, bringing railroads and hospitals to backwater nations is bad. Let the guilty white man defend the *feudal warlord* who for some reason wants to bring a sword to a gunfight. Because it's so much more honorable to hack someone to death with a sword than shoot them. Because everyone in feudal Japan lived happy lives skipping and playing. Japanese have no character traits, they're just noble savages who need to be protected from the Big Bad West so that they can continue happily slashing each other to death with swords, swords that will surely protect them from any invading horde that has guns.

2. Meet Joe Black. Also infuriatingly bad. Death as a human being is apparently a drooling retard whose grand entrance into the world of sensation is apparently satisfied by eating peanut butter. Ice princess Claire Forlani has sex with him for no reason. It's fucking three hours long. Brad Pitt humiliates the evil bad guy despite the fact that Pitt seems to demonstrate no knowledge of any useful fact about Earth. No one could possibly fucking defend this movie.

3. Gladiator. Better than The Last Samurai but still profoundly overrated. William Wallace goes out screaming "FREEDOM!" in Braveheart. What would Maximus go out screaming? Probably something like "Leave me the hell alone" or "This is for my wife, fuck you and die." He's not fighting for anything noble. It's a pretentious Seagal movie, is all, and I wish people wouldn't hold up this dumb revenge movie as some kind of serious art.

4. Scent of a Woman. I'd like this movie a lot more if I thought the dumb kid was being honorable by not naming names, but is he really? His decision not to turn in the kids is one based on moral principle, but a vague one that really merits closer examination. It's wrong, apparently, but why? Add to that the fact that it's too damn long and Pacino's acting is awful and indulgent.

5. The Day the Earth the Stood Still. Be non-violent... or I'll kill you.

6. Dead Poets Society. Let's all be non-comformists... together.

7. Army of Darkness. I prefer real heroes to parody heroes. And catchphrases aren't funny.

8. Sleepless in Seattle. Hanks and Ryan never meet. How are we supposed to decide they're meant for each other. Hanks mentions his lovely late wife used to be able to peel a whole apple in one strip. Ryan does the same. ARRRRGH THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS THIS MOVIE IS STUPID.

9. American History X. The unspoken message of this movie: Being a racist is awesome!

10. The Grudge 2. Let's finish this off with a genuine bad movie. I saw this with a cute girl. She gripped my hand tightly whenever anything scary happened. I was loving it. She stopped doing that five minutes in because she was too busy laughing. Movies can rarely rob me of more than time and money, but this one did it.

Edited by - MisterBadIdea on 06/27/2007 20:41:18
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  20:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ragingfluff, I hate to inform you of this, but your a fair percentage of list of the worst movies of all time are among most people's best movies of all time. In a way, I envy you. I wish The Godfather was the worst movie I ever saw because then every other movie I ever saw would have been better than The Godfather!

Anyway, among my worst of all time list are:

Giant Gila Monster (1959) - people are attacked by what they describe as a giant gila monster, but what looked to me like a close-up of a slightly larger than average lizard (perhaps 8 inches long at most).
The Wild Blue Yonder (2005) - agreed by many to be Werner Herzog's worst film. A nonsense piece of science fiction crossed with some sort of philsophical statement about something or other (its never really clear). It included a lot of stock footage from space and underneath icy water that was beautiful, but rather boring after a while.
Cool World (1992) - the poor, perverted man's Who Framed Roger Rabbit. The big suspense in the movie was whether or not a "real life" man was going to have sex with a cartoon character. Nonsensical, loud, obnoxious, and rather gross the more you think about it.
The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978) - there are plenty of great reviews about this on FWFR, but has anybody here actually seen this besides me? If not, and if you're a Star Wars fan, I would highly recommend it! Its hilarious in an Plan 9 From Outer Space kind of way.
Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959) - another highly recommended terrible movie.
Baby Pinsky (1990) - there are a lot of good reviews on FWFR about this too. I wrote the plot summary on IMDb and its even worse than it sounds.
Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  20:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made a couple of accolades based on the old list and the 2007 list. I have to admit, I never really liked Citizen Kane all that well. It seemed pious to me. But as far as films I really, really hate... there are some:

• Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - I DO agree on that one, M0rkeleb.

• Halloween 3 - I agree there, also, damalc.

• Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 - the one with Dennis Hopper - this film sucked!!

I will add as I think of them!!
Go to Top of Page

ragingfluff 

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  21:14:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MisterBadIdea

I'm not sure whether I want to include films that I think suck the hardest or films that I think are just really, really overrated.

1. The Last Samurai. This one makes my blood boil. Yeah, America is bad, bowler hats are bad, everything Japanese is good. Progress is bad, bringing railroads and hospitals to backwater nations is bad. Let the guilty white man defend the *feudal warlord* who for some reason wants to bring a sword to a gunfight. Because it's so much more honorable to hack someone to death with a sword than shoot them. Because everyone in feudal Japan lived happy lives skipping and playing. Japanese have no character traits, they're just noble savages who need to be protected from the Big Bad West so that they can continue happily slashing each other to death with swords, swords that will surely protect them from any invading horde that has guns.

2. Meet Joe Black. Also infuriatingly bad. Death as a human being is apparently a drooling retard whose grand entrance into the world of sensation is apparently satisfied by eating peanut butter. Ice princess Claire Forlani has sex with him for no reason. It's fucking three hours long. Brad Pitt humiliates the evil bad guy despite the fact that Pitt seems to demonstrate no knowledge of any useful fact about Earth. No one could possibly fucking defend this movie.

3. Gladiator. Better than The Last Samurai but still profoundly overrated. William Wallace goes out screaming "FREEDOM!" in Braveheart. What would Maximus go out screaming? Probably something like "Leave me the hell alone" or "This is for my wife, fuck you and die." He's not fighting for anything noble. It's a pretentious Seagal movie, is all, and I wish people wouldn't hold up this dumb revenge movie as some kind of serious art.

4. Scent of a Woman. I'd like this movie a lot more if I thought the dumb kid was being honorable by not naming names, but is he really? His decision not to turn in the kids is one based on moral principle, but a vague one that really merits closer examination. It's wrong, apparently, but why? Add to that the fact that it's too damn long and Pacino's acting is awful and indulgent.

5. The Day the Earth the Stood Still. Be non-violent... or I'll kill you.

6. Dead Poets Society. Let's all be non-comformists... together.

7. Army of Darkness. I prefer real heroes to parody heroes. And catchphrases aren't funny.

8. Sleepless in Seattle. Hanks and Ryan never meet. How are we supposed to decide they're meant for each other. Hanks mentions his lovely late wife used to be able to peel a whole apple in one strip. Ryan does the same. ARRRRGH THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS THIS MOVIE IS STUPID.

9. American History X. The unspoken message of this movie: Being a racist is awesome!

10. The Grudge 2. Let's finish this off with a genuine bad movie. I saw this with a cute girl. She gripped my hand tightly whenever anything scary happened. I was loving it. She stopped doing that five minutes in because she was too busy laughing. Movies can rarely rob me of more than time and money, but this one did it.

SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE MR BADIDEA SOME SORT OF MEDAL... he deserves it for the handy way in which he eviscerated these truly awful films...

Edited by - ragingfluff on 06/27/2007 21:15:41
Go to Top of Page

ragingfluff 

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  21:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GHcool

ragingfluff, I hate to inform you of this, but your a fair percentage of list of the worst movies of all time are among most people's best movies of all time. In a way, I envy you. I wish The Godfather was the worst movie I ever saw because then every other movie I ever saw would have been better than The Godfather!

They are.
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  21:35:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MisterBadIdea

HALLELUJAH someone finely said it about BOTH those movies. From the very first frames of Gladiator - where I couldn't see what the bleep was happening because the camera was shaking and it was so close to the battle I could practically see up the horses' noses - I thought "this is doo-doo."

And American History X? Jeez...how about just ONE character that's not a cliche? Everyone in that movie can be described as, "the (fill in the blank) guy."

Anyway, nobody mentioned Boxing Helena, a movie with an ending worthy of a second grader. Talk about "dumbass ex machina." Sheesh.
Go to Top of Page

damalc 
"last watched: Sausage Party"

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  22:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wildhartlivie

• Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 - the one with Dennis Hopper - this film sucked!!
  • [/list]

that one's bad, but once you accept its badness, it makes a pretty good comedy. how can you not enjoy a line like:
    "Look what you did to my Sonny Bono wig!"
    Go to Top of Page

Sludge 
    "Charlie Don't Serf!"

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  23:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    If I may throw in a documentary:

Paper Clips

Terribly disappointing.
    Go to Top of Page

randall 
    "I like to watch."

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  00:04:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I have heard all the retro criticism, but BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS just plain fucking stinks on ice.

Edited by - randall on 06/28/2007 00:06:00
    Go to Top of Page

Sean 
    "Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  00:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I think there are two kinds of lists already in this thread:-

• Movies that are really bad
    • Movies that lots of people like but which <insert name> doesn't like
    They are NOT the same thing at all (as MBI mentioned).

I think the word "overrated" is the most overrated word used in art description. Claiming a movie is "overrated" is essentially the same as saying "I didn't like this popular movie, therefore everyone else who liked it is WRONG as my appraisal of it is the only correct one". I could claim that Woody Allen is overrated as I've never enjoyed any of his movies. But clearly I'm the odd-man-out here as millions worldwide love his films and can watch them over and over again, but quite what they get out of his movies is beyond me. That doesn't make Woody 'overrated'. It just means I don't 'get' the point in his movies.
    Go to Top of Page

Sean 
    "Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  00:42:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    This thread should definitely be renamed. Something like "Popular Movies I Hate".

Where is stuff like:-
    • Gigli
    • Can't Stop the Music
    • Teen Wolf Too
    • From Justin to Kelly
    • Jaws: The Revenge
    etc?

On almost every IMDb movie page there will be a thread entitled "Worst movie ever made". So every movie ever made is the WORST MOVIE EVER MADE! Clearly the objective is to dump shit on movies that one likes less than most people rather than to dump shit on movies that have no redeeming features whatsoever, i.e, they don't look good, they had a crap script, they had crap sound, they are poorly acted, and to almost everybody they serve no purpose whatsoever.
    Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
    "Welcome back, Billy Buck"

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  01:02:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Se�n

Claiming a movie is "overrated" is essentially the same as saying "I didn't like this popular movie, therefore everyone else who liked it is WRONG as my appraisal of it is the only correct one".

So what's your point?
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Next Page
     New Topic  Reply to Topic
     Send Topic to a Friend
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000