Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  22:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So aren't Death Proof and Planet Terror on this website twice now? Are we allowed to reuse our own reviews from Grindhouse for DP and PT?

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  22:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, this is going to be a mess. They've been released separately on DVD. [With the benefit of hindsight, they should have done same in theaters...] This is a benj call -- but I don't see how you divide reviews for Grind. Hoo boy.
Go to Top of Page

Rovark 
"Luck-pushing, rule-bending, chance-taking reviewer"

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  23:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Reviews that refer to the double bill should stay for Grindhouse but those specific to one segment should transfer to that seperate filmic entity. I'm just not sure the best way to do it. Do we report our own Grindhouse review and ask for it to be transfered, or submit the same review to the relevant film, and on acceptance, delete the first Grindhouse one.

Over here in the UK they're being released seperately on the big screen - which leaves me feeling ripped off as I have to pay twice to see the same double-bill.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  23:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rovark

Reviews that refer to the double bill should stay for Grindhouse but those specific to one segment should transfer to that seperate filmic entity.

I think that's the only option other than rewriting the code to somehow group films under another film that collects them. IMDB has separate entries for each film so that's more than good enough for me.

quote:
I'm just not sure the best way to do it. Do we report our own Grindhouse review and ask for it to be transfered, or submit the same review to the relevant film, and on acceptance, delete the first Grindhouse one.

I'll have to go through and do this myself. Luckily I've seen the double feature Grindhouse so I'm reasonably well qualified to do this.

quote:

Over here in the UK they're being released seperately on the big screen - which leaves me feeling ripped off as I have to pay twice to see the same double-bill.

Yup- it's Kill Bill all over again Plus we don't get the fake trailers or the 'Reel missing' card (which absolutely cracked me up- the timing was perfect ).

It's tempting to blame American audiences for us not getting the proper experience, but at the end of the day I don't think the average UK punter (this being the same punter that put Epic Movie to number 1) would have been up for it either.
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  03:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bugs the shit out of me that I can't see what was intended. I'm hoping some bright sparks decide to play the films together - I have high hopes for the Prince Charles as Tarantino is fan of the place. I have a question - what's happened to the fake trailers by Roth, Zombie et al in the separated films? Have they just ceased to exist?
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  09:38:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really disappointed by this too. I agree that the Prince Charles is the best hope, especially as they show everything late, i.e. they can wait till both have been out.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  12:52:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

Bugs the shit out of me that I can't see what was intended. I'm hoping some bright sparks decide to play the films together -
Or wait for the DVDs and watch them one after the other.
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  14:11:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there anyone here who thinks that's the same thing?

Anyway, that would be watching the two films as separate entities, same as I can do in the cinema. I want to see it as Grindhouse, with missing reels and fake trailers...
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  16:33:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyway, that would be watching the two films as separate entities, same as I can do in the cinema. I want to see it as Grindhouse, with missing reels and fake trailers...

I'm not sure - after its US box office failure - that there's that option anymore anyway. QT was interviewed this week on Radio4 and I'm sure I heard a reference to extra scenes for Death Proof to bump it up to theatrical show time requirements.

Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  01:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I take it back. Death Proof was absolute rubbish. I'd rather just see Planet Terror on its own now. Looks like Rodriguez might have gotten the better deal out of this split after all...
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  07:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

quote:

I'm not sure - after its US box office failure - that there's that option anymore anyway. QT was interviewed this week on Radio4 and I'm sure I heard a reference to extra scenes for Death Proof to bump it up to theatrical show time requirements.

In an interview with Tarantino in Empire magazine last month he said he did hope to show the original format Grindhouse in the UK- I'm pretty sure there was even reference to the Prince Charles cinema, but no specific date or year even.

Yep, there's extra scenes in the versions of the films we get (i.e. no 'Reel Missing' card appearing midway through either film) but nothing added to bump up the length that wasn't there in the original screenplay. Tarantino filmed them roughly as the UK will get them, but then eff'ed up the footage in the editing suite for the Grindhouse look the US got.

BTW, for anyone who cares, Tarantino also reckons the single film version of Kill Bill is done and will be out on DVD, hopefully later this year.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  07:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I take it back. Death Proof was absolute rubbish. I'd rather just see Planet Terror on its own now. Looks like Rodriguez might have gotten the better deal out of this split after all...

Oh dear... out of the two I thought Planet Terror was absolute shite and Death Proof was a considerably better film. I seem to recall a lot of US reviews saying something similar. Still, the special effects on Rose McGowan are well done... For me, Rodriguez is rapidly turning into a low(er)-budget George Lucas- can't write or make a decent film for love nor money, but he sure loves his special effects.
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  13:53:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bugs the shit out of me that I can't see what was intended. I'm hoping some bright sparks decide to play the films together - I have high hopes for the Prince Charles as Tarantino is fan of the place. I have a question - what's happened to the fake trailers by Roth, Zombie et al in the separated films? Have they just ceased to exist?

Would it help at all if I pointed out that what you're being denied is an artificially created fake B-list crap-movie-fest? You could probably find some independent theater somewhere that's showing REAL B-list crappy movies back-to-back.
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  16:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If only that were true. The land of the double bill is a solidly arthouse affair in the UK. There's definitely an opening for an all night bad movies picture house in London.
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  16:15:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are hardly even any midnight showings. That Vue on Leicester Square sometimes has them, but they're aren't a lot of others. I'd often go at that time, given the chance. London is only creeping towards being a 24-hour city.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  17:00:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

There are hardly even any midnight showings. That Vue on Leicester Square sometimes has them, but they're aren't a lot of others. I'd often go at that time, given the chance. London is only creeping towards being a 24-hour city.

Blame the underground- if it didn't shut at/ before midnight most nights there'd be more late night showings. Who wants to pay for a taxi to get home after already paying �12 for the film?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000