R.V. there yet?

Downtown's was first.

Dupe takes long holiday.
Go to Top of Page

MM0rkeleb 
"Better than HBO."

Palo Alto, CA

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  15:36:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greystone's recently approved 'Trider-man' for Spider-Man 3 is virtually the same as 'Tri-derman,' which had already been posted by Animagess.

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  17:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by M0rkeleb

Greystone's recently approved 'Trider-man' for Spider-Man 3 is virtually the same as 'Tri-derman,' which had already been posted by Animagess.

Fixed via modified de-duper along with a further 40 dupes.
Go to Top of Page

Willy Weasel 
"Look left and right."

England

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  21:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sticking to the Spiderman thread there is a duplicate in the 'Spider-Man' section:

Four webbings, Dafoe funeral - Angel-in-the-Snow

Four Webbings & Funeral - R�ckGo1f

No idea who was first. There are loads of variations on few themes repeated on this film, so a bit miffed that just had both my reviews rejected without comment when they were appropriate and unique. Both resubmitted to sit alongside 30+ fortnight old pendings.

Thanks Sean for your personal account of FWFR history. I think I will take a break while the backlog is cleared.
Go to Top of Page

Willy Weasel 
"Look left and right."

England

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  23:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Willy is a happy weasel because his Spidey reviews have gone in
It's too late for icecream but I think a beer is in order. Thanks for admitting my words.

Go to Top of Page

Willy Weasel 
"Look left and right."

England

Posted - 17/05/2006 :  02:45:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They say that imitation is the highest form of flattery but when it is done without thought or improvement I can do without it.

I recently had a review accepted for one of my favourite films The Big Lebowski. http://fwfr.com/display.asp?id=446

I was pleased with my review accepted 10th May which went thus:

Bridges over troubled daughter.

Thinking behind it being (Jeff) Bridges being (all) over Mr.Lebowski's obviously troubled daughter. So a pun on a song title which makes perfect sense within film context.

After knowing there was nothing similar before my post, tonight I find:

Bridges over troubled Walter.

Submitted by Face and accepted on 13th May (3 days after mine) this is clearly a very minor tweak to my review which must have been passed by a different person. Although Walter is the name of his buddy in the film, the review makes no sense as my original did.

Despite the fact that this has received 2 votes for Face - curiously more than his/her other 60 reviews, it is taking votes from my legitimate review and I would like it removed please.

Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 17/05/2006 :  06:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, yours is not only better, but it is correct where the other one isn't. I just voted for it.

Go to Top of Page

Willy Weasel 
"Look left and right."

England

Posted - 17/05/2006 :  19:18:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for vote of confidence Choclady. I just put a wee voot in Mrs.Doubtfire's direction.

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 17/05/2006 :  23:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Willy Weasel

Despite the fact that this has received 2 votes for Face - curiously more than his/her other 60 reviews, it is taking votes from my legitimate review and I would like it removed please.

I don't generally remove a review just because we assume it is inspired by another. This has been actually been debated a few times before, but the result is always the same: it really can't be proven the second reviews is a rip-off. Additionally, it's even harder to prove when, as in this case, the reviews are both derived from a well-known phrase. (On a side note, I'm also not sure exactly how you're deducing your review is losing votes because of this one )

I will, however, remove a review if it's inaccurate. If one more person can confirm the review is wrong and can't be interpreted differently, I'll happily decline it on these grounds.
Go to Top of Page

Sludge 
"Charlie Don't Serf!"

United States

Posted - 18/05/2006 :  04:57:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

quote:

I don't generally remove a review just because we assume it is inspired by another. This has been actually been debated a few times before, but the result is always the same: it really can't be proven the second reviews is a rip-off. Additionally, it's even harder to prove when, as in this case, the reviews are both derived from a well-known phrase. (On a side note, I'm also not sure exactly how you're deducing your review is losing votes because of this one )

I will, however, remove a review if it's inaccurate. If one more person can confirm the review is wrong and can't be interpreted differently, I'll happily decline it on these grounds.

I tend to agree with Benj. As the 'bridges/troubled' theme is also a revisit (White Squall, for one), I think it kind of becomes open game; and Walters resembles Waters just enough; finally, there's a discernable difference, in that both characters can be considered to be "troubled" and for different reasons.

I like this one, which has nothing to do with Jeff.

Go to Top of Page

Willy Weasel 
"Look left and right."

England

Posted - 18/05/2006 :  18:38:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for feedback Benj. Granted it is difficult to prove that a review is ripped off and despite being unaware that the phrase had been used elsewhere I don't claim any exclusive originality. I also agree that my review will be voted on its own merit. This is the first time one of my reviews has been joined by a carbonish copy so I was just a bit protective of it. I have plenty of unique reviews to be proud of so no sleep or love lost.

A general query for anyone - how do I edit my forum posts?

Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 18/05/2006 :  20:35:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thanks for feedback Benj. Granted it is difficult to prove that a review is ripped off and despite being unaware that the phrase had been used elsewhere I don't claim any exclusive originality. I also agree that my review will be voted on its own merit. This is the first time one of my reviews has been joined by a carbonish copy so I was just a bit protective of it. I have plenty of unique reviews to be proud of so no sleep or love lost.

A general query for anyone - how do I edit my forum posts?

There are some small icons right at the top centre of your posts. Click on the one with the pencil.
Go to Top of Page

bife 
"Winners never quit ... fwfr ... "

Singapore

Posted - 19/05/2006 :  11:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jinx: Complete idiots lose car
Josh: Idiots lose car

Dude, where's my car

Sorry Josh
Go to Top of Page

Willy Weasel 
"Look left and right."

England

Posted - 19/05/2006 :  17:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are some small icons right at the top centre of your posts. Click on the one with the pencil.

Hi Lemmy, I have 'View Profile' and 'Reply with Quote' icons, no more. Are there any other features I'm missing? Same in Mozilla and Internet Explorer browsers. Another thing is that any smilies or formattings appear in random places in my text rather than where the cursor is. Benj I think it's time your site was Mac compatible.

Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 19/05/2006 :  17:17:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Lemmy, I have 'View Profile' and 'Reply with Quote' icons, no more. Are there any other features I'm missing? Same in Mozilla and Internet Explorer browsers. Another thing is that any smilies or formattings appear in random places in my text rather than where the cursor is. Benj I think it's time your site was Mac compatible.

Aha! A Mac. Cue benj rant.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 75 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000