Idiocracy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  22:14:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nah, won't even waste any time searching thru Films for a previous topic. If you smart guys find one, direct us on. I just figured we were starting to have so much fun discussing this one in the WALL-E thread, let's git-r-done with our own!

So: a movie full of idiots is somehow elitist? Because mouth-breathers somehow feel inferior?* Negatory, good buddy. This movie lampoons each and every one of us.

Discuss among yourselves! [This is so PRINCE OF TIDES!]

*Added for tabasco effect

Edited by - randall on 07/08/2008 22:26:48

chazbo 
"Outta This Fuckin' Place"

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  23:03:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad all the comments on the WALL-E thread are about Idiocracy, since I haven't seen the former yet.

I saw Idiocracy a couple of years ago, and I have a lukewarm view of it. I feel that, like the South Park movie, it has some interesting points to make, but it ends up returning to the same jokes over and over. So the humor becomes kind of overdone, in my opinion.

Gulliver only has to piss on the Lilliputian palace once; he doesn't need to do it again and again.

Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  23:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I said my piece on this back in the Wall-E thread, but let me reiterate: It's elitist but panders to the stupid and features a lot of stupid humor. Let's not pretend that Idiocracy is substantially different from Dumb & Dumber here. We're still supposed to laugh at the guy get whacked in the balls just like we're supposed to laugh at Jim Carrey getting whacked in the balls. I find this social commentary stuff disingenuous from the creator of "Beavis & Butthead" (which in all honesty makes the same satirical point, it just isn't so preachy about it). I wouldn't say I disliked the movie, but I didn't like it either. I thought it was backpatting bullshit, where you get to congratulate yourself for being so smart for watching a movie that, honestly, isn't really that smart.

And while I don't think that elitism is in itself an issue, there's something really really stuck-up about a movie that argues that those idiot rednecks and minorities are breeding too fast. Then again, we see a glimpse of a supposedly "smart" couple in the intro and those two didn't exactly look very appealing either... so, yeah, I guess it gets a pass on that one. Still, can't say that I'm very comfortable with the movie.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  01:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked the premise - that low-IQ people breed faster than more intelligent people resulting in a future lowering of the average IQ - but it wasn't enough for a feature-length movie. After the first 20 minutes it became just another "laugh at stupid people doing stupid things" movie.

I ended up giving it 7/10 which I thought was generous, but the last hour of it just scraped through with a pass for it's descent into slapstick when the movie had nothing further to say.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  01:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MisterBadIdea

...there's something really really stuck-up about a movie that argues that those idiot rednecks and minorities are breeding too fast.
Well, I just think they made an observation and had the balls to make public that observation. I don't have a problem with that at all.
Go to Top of Page

turrell 
"Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh "

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  07:07:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I probably posted this when the movie came out but I liked the idea of this a lot better than the execution - I agree it was probbaly not big enough to carry a whole film, but strangely (for a movie that on the surface seemed lowbrow) it was a film that made you think. When left the theater on the Santa Monica Promenade and looked around at my fellow Angeleno citizens with their Raiders jerseys and Juicy Couture pants, eating their cotton candy and pizza slices, I couldn't help but think that we were on the right trajectory.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  10:45:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now, for the record, I too found the premise much stronger than the payoff. [The pitch meeting must have been choice.] But even though many of the laughs were down-low, I still frequently noticed that I was laughing at something new, that the film was a giant razzberry aimed directly at its own audience! [Including me!]

Yes indeed, coming outside after a screening must have furrowed many brows [I saw it alone at home on DVD]. A minor movie [major-league enjoyment here], with a meaningful statement wrapped deep inside it.

Edited by - randall on 07/09/2008 10:47:31
Go to Top of Page

Montgomery 
"F**k!"

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  17:00:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turrell

When left the theater on the Santa Monica Promenade and looked around at my fellow Angeleno citizens with their Raiders jerseys and Juicy Couture pants, eating their cotton candy and pizza slices, I couldn't help but think that we were on the right trajectory.

Too funny. And yet, sad.

EM :)

Edited by - Montgomery on 07/09/2008 17:01:22
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 12/28/2010 :  21:09:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by randall

Nah, won't even waste any time searching thru Films for a previous topic. If you smart guys find one, direct us on.

Here it is.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  06:42:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two and a half years too late. Overruled.
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  13:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by randall

Two and a half years too late. Overruled.

It's not possible to overrule something which is not a judgment. I was simply stating a fact (the reason being to link the threads).

It takes a couple of seconds to use the Search function, so it's a mystery why a certain someone (not you) is continually creating duplicate threads in this section.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000