Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  20:57:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

Okay, as promised, here's a few screen grabs from the new site design. Some of them look a bit washed out in terms of colour (one of the drawbacks to developing on a laptop) so that'll probably change but you'll get the rough idea I hope.

User rank listing: http://www.fwfr.com/images/_rank.jpg

Accolade editing: http://www.fwfr.com/images/_accolade.jpg

Film page: http://www.fwfr.com/images/_film.jpg

My favourite colour is burgundy so I like that addition.

I'd forgotten about accolade creation/editing when I said I liked things how they were. Any improvements there will be appreciated.

For a long time I've wanted reviews when submitted to be in the format that they'll be displayed in (to check plays on letters/numbers and that line breaks will fall well) so that seems like a good thing too.

Edited by - SixFourian on 26/10/2009 20:59:00
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 
"A fourword thinking guy."

United Kingdom

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  21:00:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

benj, any chance we can get the system to check whether the same review has been used for a different film (as I've suggested in the past)?

Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  21:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by [matt]

Hey benj, will the new site allow me to edit my name and 'me in four words' bit on a Mac?
I just tried to change my name for the anniversary and then remembered it won't let me do it.
What browser are you using? Have you tried the latest version of Opera for Mac? (out last month), it seemed very stable. Also, what version of OS-X are you using? I know Safari can fail spectacularly on older versions.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  21:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey benj, will the new site allow me to edit my name and 'me in four words' bit on a Mac?
I just tried to change my name for the anniversary and then remembered it won't let me do it.

To be honest, I don't get why it doesn't work on the current site, but since the new site is a complete rewrite in a more cross-browser-friendly manner I'm as confident as I can be (without sitting down in front of a Mac to check it) that it will. I work near an Apple Store, mind, so I'm better situated this time around to give it a check over.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  21:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sa10pian

I'd forgotten about accolade creation/editing when I said I liked things how they were. Any improvements there will be appreciated.

Without question, the accolade editing page (yes- it's all in just one page now) is the one I'm proudest of and the one I've had to put the most consideration into reworking. There's no more horrible pop-up windows and the matching films populate dynamically as the criteria is modified. I'm trying to improve every aspect of the site as a result of the many things people have had issues with and that, in a lot of cases, I think we've just gotten used to being a bit crap.

quote:

For a long time I've wanted reviews when submitted to be in the format that they'll be displayed in (to check plays on letters/numbers and that line breaks will fall well) so that seems like a good thing too.

I'm not sure how accurately I can provide this- I've certainly made reviews editable within the page (inside their own bubbles) but fonts are still a bit temperamental when it comes to making sure they behave in the same way as displayed when you switch to an editable box. Hopefully this is something we can get pretty close however.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  21:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WhIOpersnapper

benj, any chance we can get the system to check whether the same review has been used for a different film (as I've suggested in the past)?

It's more than do-able when you consider this is already done on a per-film basis, but I'm still not convinced the same or similar review can't be used on more than one film. What did anyone else think on this?
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  21:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm still not convinced the same or similar review can't be used on more than one film. What did anyone else think on this?

I don't think napper means that reviews would get auto-rejected on that basis, but that there would be a quick way of checking for people too lazy to use Google. It could just come up with a warning "This review has been used for X -- do you still want to submit it?" It would need to just be reviews that have been approved or are pending for other films, as one could be rightly rejected for one film and approved for another. At the moment, people submit duplicates all the time because they 'don't know' (even though they have voted on the originals) and then once they're approved and it's pointed out they won't face up to getting rid of them.

Edited by - SixFourian on 26/10/2009 23:21:22
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  22:03:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sa10pian

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by WhIOpersnapper

I'm still not convinced the same or similar review can't be used on more than one film. What did anyone else think on this?

I don't think napper means that reviews would get auto-rejected on that basis, but that there would be a quick way of checking for people too lazy to use Google. It could just come up with a warning "This review has been used for X -- do you still want to submit it?" It would need to just be reviews that have been approved or are pending for other films, as one could be rightly rejected for one film and approved for another. At the moment, people submit duplicates all the time because they 'don't know' (even though they have voted on the originals) and then once they're approved and it's pointed out they won't face up to getting rid of them.

Okay, gotcha... yep- good idea. I've made a note of it
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

New Zealand

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  22:38:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

To be honest, I don't get why it doesn't work on the current site, but since the new site is a complete rewrite in a more cross-browser-friendly manner I'm as confident as I can be (without sitting down in front of a Mac to check it) that it will. I work near an Apple Store, mind, so I'm better situated this time around to give it a check over.

Although this won't necessarily be of much use. E.g., I can get an old version of Safari to crash completely on Youtube (and some other sites), whereas Opera works fine. Mac IE fails completely.

I think there's a lot more variation in browser performance between the last few versions of Mac OS-X with Safari (going back only a few years) than there is with IE/Firefox and XP/Vista combinations. It's not feasible to test a website and say "it works on Macs", all you can really say is that it works with the browser/OS combination you've tested. After that it's up to the user to get their machine up-to-date and functioning, and this seems to mean throwing it away every 3-4 years* and buying a new one. Apple are happy to oblige.

*I kept my last PC going for 8 years. I just built a new one a few months ago which included scavenging some bits from my old one.

Edited by - Sean on 26/10/2009 22:42:42
Go to Top of Page

[matt] 
"Cinemattic."

United Kingdom

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  22:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S10n

What browser are you using? Have you tried the latest version of Opera for Mac? (out last month), it seemed very stable. Also, what version of OS-X are you using? I know Safari can fail spectacularly on older versions.

I'm using Safari yeah, Version 4, on Leopard (10.5.6). I haven't tried Opera, I'll have to try it later.

quote:

Cool, I'll keep my fingers crossed! Cheers

Edited by - [matt] on 26/10/2009 22:47:46
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

New Zealand

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  22:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by S10n

I'm using Safari yeah, on Leopard (10.5.6). I haven't tried Opera, do you know if it works on that?
The latest release of Opera (released last month) works on anything from 10.3 onwards (see System requirements). I just installed it on my father's 10.3 Mac last week and it seemed fine. Also, the comments I read were that it seemed rock solid. I didn't test it on fwfr "My Details" page though, and I gave it back yesterday so can't check.

Alternatively you could try Firefox, the latest version works on 10.4 or later.... although fwfr doesn't like Firefox much, I can't upload avatars with it, I use IE for that.

I always like to have two browsers handy, you never know when a web page is gonna misbehave with a particular browser. I'm about to install Google Chrome as I heard that it kicks arse.

BTW check out this browser comparison if interested.

Edited by - Sean on 26/10/2009 23:00:01
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  00:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, as promised, here's a few screen grabs from the new site design. Some of them look a bit washed out in terms of colour (one of the drawbacks to developing on a laptop) so that'll probably change but you'll get the rough idea I hope.

User rank listing: http://www.fwfr.com/images/_rank.jpg

Accolade editing: http://www.fwfr.com/images/_accolade.jpg

Film page: http://www.fwfr.com/images/_film.jpg

P.S. Yes- a new cake is promised by my good lady wife tonight!

Loving the overall look of the redesign -- seems somehow cleaner and more accessible, though I agree about a rethink of the yellow. But the film marquee is v. cool! And the new acc page is superb -- really well done

I totally love the idea of Myfwfr. This may be an ask too far, but ... Will we be able to have a tiny post-it space to store a few future reviews so we don't go over the submission limit? It's so messy building up long pending lists.

Couple of queries:

1. Could there be an undo facility on input boxes ... it's really frustrating when suddenly all your stuff just disappears. I know you're limited by the fourum code, but some message boards have such an add-on.

2. You know the cast list that imports from imdb for added films, speech bubble clues, etc? I've never figured out how you're grabbing the lists. It never seems to start with the actual stars of the film. Sometimes it headlines with someone who has a tiny part or cameo, or, in one case I found, someone who was uncredited in the original. [I think the latter was Bess Flowers but can't remember the film. ]

Great work, benj.

PS to Randall - wonderful

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  00:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftenBabe

This may be an ask too far, but ... Will we be able to have a tiny post-it space to store a few future reviews so we don't go over the submission limit? It's so messy building up long pending lists.

On the film page, under the big speech bubble for entering your review on the far left, there's two buttons- the leftmost one to submit a review, the rightmost one to save. Any reviews over the weekly submission limit will automatically get added into the saved reviews list also.

quote:

1. Could there be an undo facility on input boxes ... it's really frustrating when suddenly all your stuff just disappears. I know you're limited by the fourum code, but some message boards have such an add-on.

Not sure what you mean here- can you give me an example of what situation you're talking about?

quote:

2. You know the cast list that imports from imdb for added films, speech bubble clues, etc? I've never figured out how you're grabbing the lists. It never seems to start with the actual stars of the film. Sometimes it headlines with someone who has a tiny part or cameo, or, in one case I found, someone who was uncredited in the original. [I think the latter was Bess Flowers but can't remember the film. ]

Currently, we just grab the cast and then order descending by the number of films each artist has starred in. I definitely need to order casts in an order akin to IMDB's but with nearly 35,000 films here now, the reimport could take some time!
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  00:53:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, thought I should probably detail a few little things on the film page of the new design.

The red rosettes represent that that review is in the top reviews of all time and the number shown is its rank. There are also blue rosettes which will show the equivalent for reviews of the week.

As I posted just before this, the pause button to the right of the submit button will enable you to save this review for later submission. Saved reviews will be held in their own special section in myfwfr.

Double clicking on a review that isn't yours will vote for it. Double clicking on a review that is yours will switch it to edit mode.

Clicking the search box at the top of the page drops down a list of different things to search on: films, artists, reviewers and yes- reviews. You can then type in the box as normal to search on that thing.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  02:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Double clicking on a review that isn't yours will vote for it.

No, no, please no! It's already too easy to accidentally vote for a review. With things like the iPhone this would be a disaster. At the very least please let us opt out of this in our settings.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000