Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  14:30:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

After lots of iPhone clicking: yeah, the double click on an iPhone has a special, reserved purpose- to zoom in or out the page. Basically, you won't be able to vote at all at present. Not sure if that's better or worse, mind.

Right you are. I hadn't thought about that as I always just zoom in the finger-spreading way.

It will indeed be a big nuisance not being able to vote on the iPhone, as I often do, especially for the F.Y.C.T.H. However, it's better than accidentally voting for reviews.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  14:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yukon

Let's pay tribute to Review Number 1. It's historic:
http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?sort=5&dir=2&id=11&Mode=&Rows=1&Start=1&do=

How is this not review no. 1?
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  14:36:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dem10nic

A thought regarding the forthcoming features for film pages Benj; when I saw the red rosettes my first assumption was that they would be to do with the top review for the film in question but now that I see they are to do with the Top 100 reviews I'm a little less enthused given the Top 100 self-perpetuates and is now sadly impossible to get a review there at all. Regardless of that it would be lovely if when viewing your own reviews or browsing others there were a similar rosette (or something) to signify if the review in question is the top review for that film without having to go to the film page to find out.

Agreed and agreed.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  14:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by [matt]

The idea of maybe having rosettes for the top 3 for each film would also make it easy to see when you've been knocked off a top spot etc.

The trouble with this would be that most films do not have many reviews, so quite a high proportion of our reviews would qualify.
Go to Top of Page

Beanmimo 
"August review site"

Ireland

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  17:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Happy 10 FWFR, All hail Benj!!!
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  18:26:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, so a few folks aren't so hot on the rosettes. No probs- it's not hard to remove them (possibly keep them on the myfwfr approved reviews page however?). Still, if it's making all-time top reviews more visible that's a concern, these reviews already appear first against films so I'm not imagining removing rosettes will make a massive difference to visibility.

My thinking with these was basically to add a bit of variety to the pages featuring reams of reviews. I'm all for drawing attention to more deserving reviews however, if anyone wants to suggest what might warrant this and how it might be represented?

Regarding iPhone and voting, the eventual aim will be to make a version of the site specially for that, but obviously I need to get this new version up and running first though. Still, theoretically, it shouldn't take anywhere near as long, since I'd just changing the website's 'skin'.

Thanks one and all for your comments so far (even those not so keen on the new look... yet ) and also the birthday wishes- much appreciated. Also great to see AC back (albeit in passing)- surely just one more waffer-theen review from you couldn't hurt?
Go to Top of Page

[matt] 
"Cinemattic."

United Kingdom

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  18:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also great to see AC back (albeit in passing)- surely just one more waffer-theen review from you couldn't hurt?

NO! AC shouldn't add any more because I just checked out how many he's done and he has achieved something brilliant - he stopped at 8008, so it looks like 'BOOB'!
The only way that could be funnier would be if it was actually intentional haha.

Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne, Australia

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  22:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, so a few folks aren't so hot on the rosettes.

I like them, if not rosettes, a different colour bubble?

Congrats AC to you and your wife on the arrival of your son.

Edited by - thefoxboy on 28/10/2009 23:11:36
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  23:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I do like the rosettes - just not that they represent the Top 100. I see what you mean Benj about making pages filled with reviews look a little different. I'll think about that.

edit: Got it! How about you highlight all my reviews on the site? That should do the trick!

Edited by - demonic on 29/10/2009 00:01:30
Go to Top of Page

BiggerBoat 
"Pass me the harpoon"

London, UK

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  15:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, so a few folks aren't so hot on the rosettes. No probs- it's not hard to remove them (possibly keep them on the myfwfr approved reviews page however?). Still, if it's making all-time top reviews more visible that's a concern, these reviews already appear first against films so I'm not imagining removing rosettes will make a massive difference to visibility.

My thinking with these was basically to add a bit of variety to the pages featuring reams of reviews. I'm all for drawing attention to more deserving reviews however, if anyone wants to suggest what might warrant this and how it might be represented?

I agree that the top 100 has become a closed club, however, it seems unfair to penalise them because they have been so successful. I think the main problem is/was the top 100 page, rather than reviews being voted on directly from the film page. The fact is that the top 40 or so are not going to be deposed any time soon, but there should be a mechanism whereby other good reviews can be promoted.

How about introducing a class of 'power reviews'? These would be any reviews that have reached 30 votes or more. They would get some kind of electrically charged bubble with sparks coming off them (surely this would be easy to code Benj??). You could then have a page with the most recent power reviews listed, which would go some way in bringing them closer to parity with the old high-fliers.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  19:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep power reviews is an idea (even the sparky effect isn't completely out of the realm of possibilty, although I don't want anything to overpower the rest of the reviews too much). Another thought I had reading this was hot reviews- i.e. ones there's recently been a bit of voting activity on), kinda like hot topics here in the fourum. Still, this is all stuff I can add in later after the basic site's done.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  20:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh... and another idea inspired by Demonic's shameless suggestion... highlight all the reviews by the person who added the film?
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 
"A fourword thinking guy."

United Kingdom

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  21:31:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

No.

Go to Top of Page

rockfsh 
"Laugh, Love, Cheer"

United States

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  21:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats Benj but you have to photoshop that 8 off your cake avatar and replace it with a 10
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  00:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WhIOpersnapper

No.

Hey- just a suggestion Still happy to hear any more review highlighting ideas.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000