"hands down"

Brizzle

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  03:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

quote:
Originally posted by WhIOpersnapper

No.

Hey- just a suggestion Still happy to hear any more review highlighting ideas.

I'd be reluctant to encourage adding dozens of obscure, never-to-be-reviewed films wholesale because I don't see how it benefits the site, but all the same I think an small acknowledgement somewhere of whoever added each film would be a good idea.

Go to Top of Page

BiggerBoat 
"Pass me the harpoon"

London, UK

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  10:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

No.

I know that you've released lists showing top voted reviews per year before Benj - maybe these could get a rosette or similar?
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  10:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lamhasuas

...but all the same I think an small acknowledgement somewhere of whoever added each film would be a good idea.

I like this idea. Just a simple acknowledgement on each movie page "Added by XXXX" wouldn't go astray.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  11:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have an issue with rosettes for Top 500 reviews. That way, however a page is sorted, the top reviews stand out. Getting 50 votes is no mean feat and what's the harm in acknowledging that fact? There are a lot of pedestrian reviews on the site (most reviews on the site in fact) and decorating the good ones can't hurt.

At present, user icons get greater visibility as a reward for quantity, and I think it's only fair for greater visibility to be the reward for high quality reviews.
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 
"A fourword thinking guy."

United Kingdom

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  11:58:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

No.

I really wouldn't like to see film-adding becoming competitive. That seems to me to be a little pathetic.

Things are fine as they are - people who want to add a film can do so - no fuss, no fanfares. When I review a film I really could not give a damn who added it to the site - why should I? It should be the reviews which count around here.

I'm also against anything which singles out reviews because they already have high votes. We already have a severe problem that no new review can get close to the top - for example, what is the NEWEST review in the top 100, or for that matter 500? Not that new I bet.

If you want to encourage new reviewers then don't do anything that makes it more difficult for their reviews to catch up on the older ones.

Go to Top of Page

BiggerBoat 
"Pass me the harpoon"

London, UK

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  16:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dunno, it could be quite interesting to see who added the movie - at least you can see what they came up with, an insight into their creative process.

Benj, if you want to highlight the 'hot reviews' I think you need to define what that means, whether it be a certain number of votes in a day, or whatever. You may even want a range of them, from 'flyer' to 'supersonic' (or whatever) which grant different rewards. This would certainly be a good way of highlighting the best (or most voted on anyway) recent reviews.
Go to Top of Page

knockmesilly 

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  04:20:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
happy birthday FWFR!
thanks Benj

Go to Top of Page

Josh the cat 
"ice wouldn't melt, you'd think ....."

East Yorkshire, England.

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  15:58:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is one party I seem to be late too.

It's been 1/2 term and been on holiday or as WAC calls it holanday

Benj congratulations on 10 years hard work. You have made a monster, having read the memorial a number of times I think you've done your mum proud.

Okay now read the whole thread:

*I don't see the need to put the film adders name on the reviews page it seems like another bit or data to clutter the page.

*I don't like the rosettes of any kind

*We already highlight current reviews (20) that have recieved a good number of votes in the last 24hrs this could be extended

*I like the new images that you've uploaded Benj the colours and contrasts need tinkering with but are ok-ish

*Is there still to be a what film bubble, I like the feature and would not wish to loose it

*Where is the play.com advert to be?

*Alot of the lists that Salopian created are, whilst valid, out of order and incomplete are you going to incorporate these and therefore formalise them

*Are you going to have the current and proposed versions running parellel to enable us to compare and make suggestions before the current becomes the old version

I love this site and look forward to being able to spend time on it whenever I can my eternal thanks for countless hours of fun.

10sh the cat

Edited by - Josh the cat on 31/10/2009 17:00:04
Go to Top of Page

[matt] 
"Cinemattic."

United Kingdom

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  16:42:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hey benj, I have a couple of suggestions about the design which you can take or leave

• Personally I don't think the gradient on the speech bubbles is necessary, it just makes them more visually complicated. I prefer the simplicity of the pure white they are at the moment.

• Another thing about the speech bubbles is that they now don't point to the reviewer, so the idea of the speech bubble is kind of lost. (On the current site it points to the reviewer as if they're actually saying it which is nice.)

• Since 'myfwfr' and 'fourum' are the links people probably click on most, do you reckon it would make more sense to put 'fourum' where 'log off' is and move 'log off' to the far right of the links?

• The bit where the film title goes - it's a cool idea having it in the style of cinema signs but the lines make it a little hard to read. Maybe they could be grey and the vertical lines spaced out a little more to make them less prominent?

• I was wondering how it will show which reviews you've voted for? Like how currently each review says 'Vote' and once you've voted it changes to 'Voted'.

• I know this has been brought up before now - could the default 'sort by reviewer name' be made A-Z rather than Z-A? And wouldn't it be better to have the default 'sort by chronological order' be oldest to newest rather than newest to oldest?

Also, I agree with JTC, I don't find it very important who added the film.

Hope some of this is helpful

Go to Top of Page

Josh the cat 

East Yorkshire, England.

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  17:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My congratulations to AC in both family and academic aspects of his life, when I was a newbie he was always freindly polite and helpful he is sadly missed and I would love for him to return. I also wish the great noncentz would comeback a truly great reviewer.

cheers

10sh the cat
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  21:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 10sh_the_cat

Benj congratulations on 10 years hard work. You have made a monster, having read the memorial a number of times I think you've done your mum proud.

Very kind of you to say

quote:

*I don't see the need to put the film adders name on the reviews page it seems like another bit or data to clutter the page.

Right now, I'm seeing if it fits or not. Most likely if I do add this info, it'll be available in an expanded info box, rather than being there cluttering up the page by default.

quote:

*We already highlight current reviews (20) that have recieved a good number of votes in the last 24hrs this could be extended

Noted.

quote:

*Is there still to be a what film bubble, I like the feature and would not wish to loose it

Yep- just haven't yet decided how to present it.

quote:

*Where is the play.com advert to be?

The Play.com advert has been dead for quite some time. In the new design, I'm most likely to go with some basic text Adsense adverts at the bottom of the page.

quote:

*A lot of the lists that Salopian created are, whilst valid, out of order and incomplete are you going to incorporate these and therefore formalise them

Which lists?

quote:

*Are you going to have the current and proposed versions running parellel to enable us to compare and make suggestions before the current becomes the old version

Yes- the new site will sit on a separate url until it's in a state where people don't hate it too much. The old site will probably stay around for a while after that as a redirection for those with lesser browsers (new site doesn't work too well on IE6, y'see).
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  21:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by [matt]

• Personally I don't think the gradient on the speech bubbles is necessary, it just makes them more visually complicated. I prefer the simplicity of the pure white they are at the moment.

• I'm not set on the bubbles yet. I'll see what plain ones look like, but this does seem to be a personal preference thing from what I can tell from others I've shown the site to.

quote:

• Another thing about the speech bubbles is that they now don't point to the reviewer, so the idea of the speech bubble is kind of lost. (On the current site it points to the reviewer as if they're actually saying it which is nice.)

• Yep, unfortunately there is a technical reason why the names must be left aligned however. I might try flipping the side the speech bubble points to.

quote:

• Since 'myfwfr' and 'fourum' are the links people probably click on most, do you reckon it would make more sense to put 'fourum' where 'log off' is and move 'log off' to the far right of the links?

• Could do- will see how it looks.

quote:

• The bit where the film title goes - it's a cool idea having it in the style of cinema signs but the lines make it a little hard to read. Maybe they could be grey and the vertical lines spaced out a little more to make them less prominent?

• Noted. Just like with the colours in general, I still need to adjust a few things (the design looked fine on my laptop but that's clearly not a good graphics development platform).

quote:

• I was wondering how it will show which reviews you've voted for? Like how currently each review says 'Vote' and once you've voted it changes to 'Voted'.

• Presently, this is shown by the top right bubble (with the no. votes in it) being yellow when unvoted and grey when voted or unvotable. Obviously, there's a lot of stuff like this you can't get from a couple of screenshots and will hopefully be clearer and better to judge once you have something to click around on.

quote:

• I know this has been brought up before now - could the default 'sort by reviewer name' be made A-Z rather than Z-A?

• Already done.

quote:

And wouldn't it be better to have the default 'sort by chronological order' be oldest to newest rather than newest to oldest?

Not sure. What does anyone else think? Or maybe this is a personal preference thing and could be settable from myfwfr.
    Go to Top of Page

Josh the cat 

East Yorkshire, England.

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  22:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:

quote:
    [quote]
    *A lot of the lists that Salopian created are, whilst valid, out of order and incomplete are you going to incorporate these and therefore formalise them

Which lists?

Top F.W.F.R'ers by Accolades Completed
    Top F.W.F.R'ers by Accolades Made
    Top F.W.F.R'ers by Films Added
    Top F.W.F.R'ers by Top Reviews
    Top F.W.F.R'ers by Percentage of Top Reviews
    Top F.W.F.R'ers by Average Votes
    Top F.W.F.R'ers by Films Reviewed
    Top F.W.F.R'ers by Films Scored
    Top F.W.F.R'ers by Reviews with Fifty-plus Votes
    Top F.W.F.R'ers by Highest Review
    Top F.W.F.R'ers by Ratio of Reviews to Films
    Top F.W.F.R'ers by Top 100 Total
    Top F.W.F.R'ers by Total Votes
    Top F.W.F.R'ers by Votes for One Film
    Top F.W.F.R'ers by Reviews for One Film

Hope this clears it up, I personally don't see the value in some of them, I always thought that these would go well with the
    100 top reviews
    100 most voted
    100 top average reviews
    pages that you set up

cheers

10sh the cat

Edited by - Josh the cat on 31/10/2009 22:35:49
    Go to Top of Page

Josh the cat 

East Yorkshire, England.

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  22:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by randXll
    fwiffer

I've been meaning to ask what does this stand for? assuming it is an acronymn, I've seen it for years and never got it

10sh the cat
    Go to Top of Page

bife 
    "Winners never quit ... fwfr ... "

Singapore

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  23:56:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by randXll
    fwiffer

I've been meaning to ask what does this stand for? assuming it is an acronymn, I've seen it for years and never got it

10sh the cat

It's not an acronym, it's just the phonetic pronunciation of someone who partakes in fwfr-related activities.

As footballer is to football, fwiffer is to fwfr.

Personally, I've always used and preferred "fwfrer", but as they're not real words I'm pretty sure ther's no right or wrong

Obviously any change to the site will take some getting used to - look at the furore facebook creates every time they change a font size - but the screnshots look good.

Obviously some formatting work still to do (don't blot out the first word of a review with a rosette ...) but I'm sure you're on top of these.

Rosettes are a great idea, but agree with consensus that Top 100 is too restrictive. Maybe Rosette's for any reviews in the given-reviewers personal Top 10? Would spread the rosettes among all reviewers and highlight reviews we might otherwise miss. Top 10 for a given film seems a touch pointless, since many fwfrers already sort reviews this way

"who added the film" is a nice touch, no strong feelings about it

I love the "multiple view" review-ordering; you seem to have a top row of most recent reviews, and remainder of page in vote-order. I would never have thought of it, but like it a lot.

I'm sure the final version will be great, and that we will grumble about it for a month. Remember how disliked the speech bubbles were when you first brought them in?

Edited by - bife on 01/11/2009 00:09:34
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Previous Page | Next Page
     New Topic  Reply to Topic
     Send Topic to a Friend
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000