Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Koli 
"Striving lackadaisically for perfection."

United Kingdom

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  18:57:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We discussed this recently in another thread. The story so far...

I replaced my PC a few weeks ago. The new iMac is finding it difficult to provide new FWFR avatars. Initial advice was that certain browsers work better than others. So instead of using Safari, which comes with the Mac, I tried others, notably Opera and Google Chrome.

I thought I'd found a solution: insist that the pic saved to the Mac has a gif filename extension even when the Mac wants to call it a jpg. It worked. But it hasn't worked since.

I thought I'd found the answer a few minutes ago. The iMac normally doesn't show file extensions. I checked the box so that now it does. I still found I couldn't load my new avatar, the error message being that the pic must be a jpeg, gif or bmp file. Well, it is - but FWFR still says 'no'.

Have other Mac owners found a way round this? Please?

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  19:32:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have a Mac, unfortunately, but I find that F.W.F.R. cannot cope well with anything other than Explorer. I use Google Chrome in general, but lots of features of this site don't work with it.
Go to Top of Page

Koli 
"Striving lackadaisically for perfection."

United Kingdom

Posted - 25/05/2010 :  20:36:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What? No one?

Fortunately Benj is on the case. Watch this space.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 25/05/2010 :  23:14:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There have been other Mac users here in the past, I recall some had issues with avatars. But my foggy memory prevents me from remembering who they are/were.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  01:11:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay... it was pretty fiddly and took longer than I expected but the avatar upload code should be cross-browser and Apple Mac compatible now. You'll find it works slightly differently to before though- you click your avatar in your details page to select and upload your picture but you'll still need to click Save afterwards to finalise the new avatar.

Let me know if anyone finds any problems with this
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

New Zealand

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  01:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

Okay... it was pretty fiddly and took longer than I expected but the avatar upload code should be cross-browser and Apple Mac compatible now. You'll find it works slightly differently to before though- you click your avatar in your details page to select and upload your picture but you'll still need to click Save afterwards to finalise the new avatar.

I just changed my avatar with Firefox for the first time ever. It went like clockwork. Thanks mate.

Now I will (hopefully) never need to use that poxy I.E. again.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

New Zealand

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  01:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And on the subject of avatars, isn't it time that cake grew another couple of candles?
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  07:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I also had an easy time changing my Avatar. Mind you, I did it from work using IE7, but still... really good!
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  07:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Se�n

quote:

I just changed my avatar with Firefox for the first time ever. It went like clockwork. Thanks mate.

Now I will (hopefully) never need to use that poxy I.E. again.

Big thanks, benj! Have just changed my av on Firefox ... I'm with Se�n here - yay the Fox! BTW - I'm on a PC, not Mac.

One thing, though - benj, have you tweaked the finalisation? Because when I clicked Save, my old av returned. But when I just changed it and clicked the pop-up box, the new one stuck. Maybe I'm using the haunted version

Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  08:18:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a haunted version. Just refresh the page and it will come back just fine!

(Did for me.)
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  08:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

[quote]One thing, though - benj, have you tweaked the finalisation? Because when I clicked Save, my old av returned. But when I just changed it and clicked the pop-up box, the new one stuck. Maybe I'm using the haunted version

Yep- this would have been the cached version of the image. I've just made it so the image is forced to reload after saving.
Go to Top of Page

Larry 
"Larry's time / sat merrily"

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  11:58:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

[quote]One thing, though - benj, have you tweaked the finalisation? Because when I clicked Save, my old av returned. But when I just changed it and clicked the pop-up box, the new one stuck. Maybe I'm using the haunted version

Yep- this would have been the cached version of the image. I've just made it so the image is forced to reload after saving.

This is wonderful! Makes changing avatars so much easier. Thanks, benj.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  17:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay... it was pretty fiddly and took longer than I expected but the avatar upload code should be cross-browser and Apple Mac compatible now.

Great news, Benj. Thanks. Does this apply to accolade trophies as well as personal avatars?

(Another browser issue is that some categories of reporting don't work on Google Chrome; don't know about other browsers.)
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  18:08:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cracovian

Great news, Benj. Thanks. Does this apply to accolade trophies as well as personal avatars?

Not at present- that's fiddlier still but I'll take a look and try and get that sorted too.

quote:

(Another browser issue is that some categories of reporting don't work on Google Chrome; don't know about other browsers.)

Wasn't aware of this- I'll have a look at this also.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  18:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It happens in the more complicated ones, where after selecting the review you have to go and select another review or film.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  18:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cracovian

quote:

It happens in the more complicated ones, where after selecting the review you have to go and select another review or film.

Ah, okay. So is it on the actual selecting of the extra review or film that's not happening?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000