Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ci�nas 
"hands down"

Brizzle

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  13:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have thought that 127 Hours qualifies as a one-hander, given that 95% of the movie consists of James Franco�s character alone with his memories & increasing delirium, trapped by the rock.

(This was my partner�s commendable choice of movie as the start of her 39th birthday celebrations. At 10 a.m. yesterday we had a 385-seat auditorium entirely to ourselves at the local multiplex, which seemed kind of appropriate.)

Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  14:21:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lamhasuas

I would have thought that 127 Hours qualifies as a one-hander, given that 95% of the movie consists of James Franco�s character alone with his memories & increasing delirium, trapped by the rock.

Are there long chunks with him alone, or does it often cut away (however briefly) to people looking for him?
quote:
At 10 a.m. yesterday we had a 385-seat auditorium entirely to ourselves at the local multiplex, which seemed kind of appropriate.)

I love when that happens, although it's usually for a worse film than this sounds.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  14:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

You could argue the voices in Buried don't appear frequently enough to be considered supporting characters... it really is a one man show. Different for Gertie as "he's" a central character than appears from start to finish.

Yup, I'm going to count Buried as one and Moon as two.
Go to Top of Page

ci�nas 
"hands down"

Brizzle

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  19:41:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

quote:

Are there long chunks with him alone, or does it often cut away (however briefly) to people looking for him?

Actors appear in the remembered or imagined scenes; but the only other actors involved are a pair of hikers he meets at the start before he becomes trapped, & some hikers he meets right at the end after he frees himself. For thematic & structural reasons there are no �real-time� cutaways* from his ordeal.

(I�m assuming I�m giving nothing away here because the movie�s based on a true story, of course. A lot of its power derives from anticipating what we know is going to happen.)

* Christ. No pun was intended.

Edited by - ci�nas on 09/01/2011 19:52:39
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  20:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actors appear in the remembered or imagined scenes; but the only other actors involved are a pair of hikers he meets at the start before he becomes trapped, & some hikers he meets right at the end after he frees himself. For thematic & structural reasons there are no �real-time� cutaways* from his ordeal.

(I�m assuming I�m giving nothing away here because the movie�s based on a true story, of course. A lot of its power derives from anticipating what we know is going to happen.)

It sounds like the film fits then, so I'll leave it in.

I would certainly have counted that as a spoiler but I didn't know that it was a true story. (I avoid information about unseen films as much as possible.) I quite strictly feel that historical events are not spoilers, although I know that some people here don't see it that way. It arguably depends on how well publicised the events have been -- no one could convince me that it's a spoiler that baby Jessica McClure is rescued, for example.
Go to Top of Page

Shot in the Dark 

U.S.

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  02:37:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gerry (2002) Matt Damon and Casey Affleck
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: