The Good German
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  12:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We attended a screening of Steven Soderbergh's new film last night at Lincoln Center. While it has some failings as a narrative [it's set in Berlin after the Reich's fall but before Japan's surrender], it should interest many of you for its production values alone. It's shot, scored and posted to look like a b&w war-era Warner Bros. film, right down to the old logo which introduces it [the only thing missing was Jack L. Warner's name]. Blown-out backgrounds, classic romantic setups, the whole works. The last scene, which quotes a famous Warners classic, even got some laughter for that reason.

Not a great film in our opinion, but well worth your time.

Joe Blevins 
"Don't I look handsome?"

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  01:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Odd that a movie called The Good German should be coming out at the same time as The Good Shepherd.

In Wayne's World, Mike Myers points out that the two actors who played Darrin on TV's "Bewitched" were Dick Sargent and Dick York. ("Sgt. York," get it?)

I actually wanted to submit "The Good German Shepherd" as a review for a Rin Tin Tin movie.

Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  22:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Blevins

Odd that a movie called The Good German should be coming out at the same time as The Good Shepherd.

In Wayne's World, Mike Myers points out that the two actors who played Darrin on TV's "Bewitched" were Dick Sargent and Dick York. ("Sgt. York," get it?)

I actually wanted to submit "The Good German Shepherd" as a review for a Rin Tin Tin movie.

Letterman did that very joke a couple nights ago!
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 
"A fourword thinking guy."

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  00:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I've just gotten round to seeing this film on tv, and I keep saying to myself "what the hell were they thinking of?".

Go to Top of Page

chazbo 
"Outta This Fuckin' Place"

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  02:45:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I watched this on DVD not too long ago. I liked the tribute it paid to film noir, both formally and plotwise, and little else.

Go to Top of Page

Sludge 
"Charlie Don't Serf!"

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  15:29:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel the same about this. It meets the criteria for noir but left me feeling empty and unchallenged.

I wonder if the 'twist' would have felt more twisted if this were released during noir's heyday?

Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  16:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clooney's inherent charisma acts against him in this one; he seems too smart to be as far behind as he is in this movie. Much like "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow," it's all tribute to classic cinema, no actual movie.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000