Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

aahaa, muahaha 
"Optimistic altruist, incurable romantic"

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  10:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

Okay, file this one under "May not give a damn"...

After much deliberation and possibly throwing away my job to live the dream, Lisa and myself are putting plans in place to see the world from the start of June to the end of August. The plan is to spend about 6 weeks in Asia, followed by 5 weeks seeing bits of Australia and New Zealand, finishing off with a couple of quick stops in LA and NYC.

There's a lot to work out yet- how I maintain my comic book habit and surviving without my banjo during this time being top of the list, and there's nothing more definite than that right now, but I'd love to meet up with as many of my far-flung fellow fwfr'ers as I can in this time. Don't worry- we won't be wanting to crash on your couch, clean out your fridge and steal your cat, I just think this would be a perfect opportunity to meet everyone.

I'll let you know more as and when it happens...

Oops, too bad I saw it just now. Where all in Asia?
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  13:57:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heya all,

Well, you may or may not have noticed, but I've not been about so much of late. Turns out my trip around the globe crept up on myself and Lisa a lot quicker than expected and before I knew it, I had to pack my PC into storage and arrange shedloads of other stuff. Basically, this has been about the soonest I've had chance to sit down and post proper since beginning travelling.

A quick rundown of what's gone on so far and where we are now...

2nd June we flew off to Bangkok and stayed there for much too long (5 days), popping out to see the bridge over the River Kwai whilst we were there.

Then we caught an overnight train down to Surat Thani followed by a ferry over to Koh Samui, which is where we've been for about the last 4 days, moped'ing about the island and planning our next move.

Due to our budget, it unfortunately looks unlikely that we'll get chance to stop in Australia this time around. We do stop briefly in Sidney, but only to change to another plane to continue on to Wellington in New Zealand. No dates on this yet, since we're just making it up as we go along in Thailand for now. Then we're heading overland up to Auckland, flying across to LA and (probably flying) on to NYC before heading back to London.

Now I've found a reasonable Internet Cafe, I'll try and pop in here a bit more often and get back to helping with the approvals (apologies to the MERPs for leaving them in the lurch without any warning).

Anyway, glad to see everything seems to be running okay in my absence- hope you're all okay wherever you are

benj.
Go to Top of Page

Cheese_Ed 
"The Provolone Ranger"

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  14:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heya all,

Well, you may or may not have noticed, but I've not been about so much of late. Turns out my trip around the globe crept up on myself and Lisa a lot quicker than expected and before I knew it, I had to pack my PC into storage and arrange shedloads of other stuff. Basically, this has been about the soonest I've had chance to sit down and post proper since beginning travelling.

A quick rundown of what's gone on so far and where we are now...

2nd June we flew off to Bangkok and stayed there for much too long (5 days), popping out to see the bridge over the River Kwai whilst we were there.

Then we caught an overnight train down to Surat Thani followed by a ferry over to Koh Samui, which is where we've been for about the last 4 days, moped'ing about the island and planning our next move.

Due to our budget, it unfortunately looks unlikely that we'll get chance to stop in Australia this time around. We do stop briefly in Sidney, but only to change to another plane to continue on to Wellington in New Zealand. No dates on this yet, since we're just making it up as we go along in Thailand for now. Then we're heading overland up to Auckland, flying across to LA and (probably flying) on to NYC before heading back to London.

Now I've found a reasonable Internet Cafe, I'll try and pop in here a bit more often and get back to helping with the approvals (apologies to the MERPs for leaving them in the lurch without any warning).

Anyway, glad to see everything seems to be running okay in my absence- hope you're all okay wherever you are

benj.

We're all jealous, BC! Enjoy the trip!

Can't believe you're skipping the South Island in NZ!? Looks like we're still on target for that first inter-hemispheric convention, Sean.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  14:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cheese_Ed

Can't believe you're skipping the South Island in NZ!? Looks like we're still on target for that first inter-hemispheric convention, Sean.

Depends... is it easy to get to and is there anything to do there?
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  15:24:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Benj and Lisa aka the Clewses

Sounds like you've landed in a mini-paradise and here's wishing you both a truly terrific trip

We will try not to be too bad mice, playing while the cat's away

Big FWFR hugs to you both

Go to Top of Page

Cheese_Ed 
"The Provolone Ranger"

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  18:13:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Is there anything to do there??
Better not let Sean hear you talk like that!
Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  23:13:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You could give Sean a slap across the back of the head for me.
Otherwise I will have to get Cheese_Ed to do it.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  00:22:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You're kidding, right? On the whole, travellers allocate about 2/3rds of their time in NZ to the South Island. Unless rolling hill country with sheep is your main interest in which case you'd bias your trip to the North. 75% of the population live in the north, not because it's most attractive, but because that's where the farms/forestry work etc is. Northerners come south for the holidays if they want to do something exciting.

Cheese_Ed has based most of his trip here in the South, and that was even before I started giving him travel advice.

Flying into Wellington is a most unusual way to begin a NZ trip. Any particular reason? Wellington is an uninteresting place, and so is Auckland. And there's a whole lot of farmland in between. OK, Rotorua is on the way and so is the occasional volcano, but that's about it.

People don't come to NZ for the towns. What are your main interests in NZ? Let me know and I could give you some advice. Unless you're not interested in mother nature at it's most spectacular, then skipping South Westland, Wanaka, Central Otago, Mt Cook and Milford in favour of some sheep farms and pine plantations after coming 20,000km would be a monumental error. How long are you staying here? And could you change your flight into Wellington and fly into Christchurch instead? Etc etc. I know NZ like the back of my hand and give free advice to fwfrers.

BTW, if you'd asked me about Thailand I would have recommended one day in Bangkok, then get the hell out of there and head south to a beach, although I'd have picked Koh Phangan over Samui as it's a little less developed and has bigger parties.

Edited by - Sean on 06/13/2007 00:26:50
Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  00:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Se�n
BTW, if you'd asked me about Thailand I would have recommended one day in Bangkok, then get the hell out of there.

Yep, One Night in Bangkok, max.
Go to Top of Page

rockfsh 
"Laugh, Love, Cheer"

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  00:44:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you decide to stop off in Hawaii, let me know.
Go to Top of Page

Ali 
"Those aren't pillows."

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  09:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefoxboy

quote:
Originally posted by Se�n
BTW, if you'd asked me about Thailand I would have recommended one day in Bangkok, then get the hell out of there.

Yep, One Night in Bangkok, max.

I hear one night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble; apparently there's not much between despair and ecstasy.
Go to Top of Page

Beanmimo 
"August review site"

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  09:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Between One night in bangkok and The Bridge Over the River Kwai sounds like all you guys have been doing is singing songs and watching movies!!

Enjoy your trip and don't forget just before you get home there's a pint awaiting for the two of you in Dublin!!
Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  01:53:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rockfsh

If you decide to stop off in Hawaii, let me know.

Hey rockfsh, which island you on?
I have been to 5 of the Hawaiian Islands.
I bet you can guess which 5.
Go to Top of Page

rockfsh 
"Laugh, Love, Cheer"

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  04:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm on Oahu Foxboy. I bet you've been to Oahu, Maui, Hawaii, Kauai and either Lanai or Molokai.
Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  04:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Molokai is the 5th.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: