Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  23:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
turrell's avatar reminds me of watching "Back to School". I was an English major at the time, and I thought the film was hilarious. I loved Dangerfield's complete minimalization of Yeats ("... and then Yeats goes on. Then he says 'And what rough beast, it's hour come round at last, slouches toward Bethlehem to be born.'") and that wonderfully crude line in the hot tub ("What's your major?" "Poetry" "Well maybe later you can help me straighten out my Longfellow.")

My girlfriend at the time hated it.
Go to Top of Page

Shiv 
"What a Wonderful World"

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  00:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My college hangout in Durham, UK. The students of the university went on a campaign to save this pub because a chain of 'hip' pubs called It's a Scream wanted to take over and gut all the Victoriana (take a look at the moldings over the bar). I just went back there recently and it's still the same. My tipple was a pint of Bass - from the cask not the keg
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  01:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MguyX

... and that wonderfully crude line in the hot tub ("What's your major?" "Poetry" "Well maybe later you can help me straighten out my Longfellow.")

I've never seen Back to School and never heard that one-liner before until now. I laughed so hard that I imediately put Back to School on my Netflix list.
Go to Top of Page

Koli 
"Striving lackadaisically for perfection."

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  08:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shiv

My college hangout in Durham, UK. The students of the university went on a campaign to save this pub because a chain of 'hip' pubs called It's a Scream wanted to take over and gut all the Victoriana (take a look at the moldings over the bar). I just went back there recently and it's still the same. My tipple was a pint of Bass - from the cask not the keg

Shiv, I had no idea! I spent many a happy hour in Durham when I was based in the north east of England. I don't know all the pubs but I've been in a few. Do you remember a cafe called Vennors or similar, up a passage leading off the road up to the castle and cathedral? That was one of my favourite eating places for journeys between Northumberland and York when I had time to spare. The cathedral is a bit special too.
Go to Top of Page

Shiv 
"What a Wonderful World"

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  10:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Koli

quote:

Shiv, I had no idea! I spent many a happy hour in Durham when I was based in the north east of England. I don't know all the pubs but I've been in a few. Do you remember a cafe called Vennors or similar, up a passage leading off the road up to the castle and cathedral? That was one of my favourite eating places for journeys between Northumberland and York when I had time to spare. The cathedral is a bit special too.

It was called Vennels. It's still there - I went back for a trip in October 2005. The pub is the Half Moon on the the corner of the pedestrian bridge, opposite the hotel. After three years the landlady recognised me - now that's the sign of a good local!
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  20:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my digusting jukim-infested cement dorm building at Tel Aviv University on Einstein St. that was probably built in the 1950s. I told my parents that its architecture resembled an apartment building in downtown Bucharest built during the dictatorship of Nicolae Ceausescu. My friends and I joked that if Hezbollah fired a katyusha rocket at Tel Aviv, at least we would be safe. My room is marked by the orange towel.

Edited by - GHcool on 04/08/2007 20:55:16
Go to Top of Page

Koli 

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  11:00:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tortoise

quote:
The Corpus Tortoise Fair, which is entirely unique in Oxford, is undoubtedly the best tradition ever, in the whole world...

Its main feature is the legendary Tortoise Race. Tortoises from different colleges are placed, facing away from each other, into the middle of a circle of lettuce leaves, and the first one to reach the edge is crowned victor. The 2004 fair was a particularly exciting one - Wally, Corpus' sprightly young but transitory tortoise, came in ahead of Regent's Park's 90 year old veteran, and the surprise entry from Magdalen, a student wearing a fetching tortoise outfit (due to his size advantage, the student had been required to eat a whole iceberg lettuce before setting off - he didn't manage it).

When tortoises look like that it's no wonder poor Borat confuses them with dogs.
Go to Top of Page

Koli 

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  11:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It was called Vennels. It's still there - I went back for a trip in October 2005. The pub is the Half Moon on the the corner of the pedestrian bridge, opposite the hotel. After three years the landlady recognised me - now that's the sign of a good local!

Go to Top of Page

Cheese_Ed 
"The Provolone Ranger"

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  18:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
www.fwiffer.com has passed it's final exam
Go to Top of Page

duh 
"catpurrs"

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  19:22:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Matriculated, voted against all referendums to raise student fees, and graduated.
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  20:10:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Seven years of college, down the drain!"

Voted for Bluto.

(But can anyone tell me why redPen and Stalean, who both have clearly college-related avatars this week, are not in the contest????)

Edited by - MguyX on 04/10/2007 06:13:31
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  14:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Votes sent to Dean Martin.
Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  18:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
voted
Go to Top of Page