Memorial Day - USA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  07:16:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This day we are to remember all the fallen soldiers who gave their lives to fight for this country. Have a Safe and Wonderful Holday. Summer has officially started! Make Love Not War!!

Edited by - TitanPa on 05/28/2007 07:48:03

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  07:33:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TitanPa

Make Love Not War!!

AMEN!
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  08:19:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm lucky enough to have not have anybody in my family that fought for the United States military and died and also lucky enough to not personally know any widows or grieving parents. Even so, every Memorial Day I give my grandfather, a U.S. airforce pilot in World War II, a call and he shares a memory or two from his experiences.
Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  08:27:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a wonderful thing that you still have your grandfather around to tell you those stories, GHCool. Not to sound old or anything, but my parents and grandparents died too early for me to really get the chance to listen to the stories and ask the questions that would give me a good understanding of my family's history. Don't take it for granted, ask and listen and remember. It's a wonderful thing!!!
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  12:16:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandfather (Royal Navy destroyer in WW2, telegraph operator) absolutely refused to speak about it. Although he did apparently tell someone at home when on leave during the war that gunners on his ship had machine-gunned the survivors of a U-boat that their ship had sunk. It was common procedure at the time (although unofficial), they couldn't take the risk of stopping to pick them up and being sunk by another U-boat, so they could either leave them to drown or be picked up by a U-boat, or finish them off. Quite logical, really.

I can quite understand soldiers being unwilling or unable to tell people about their experiences.
Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  22:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wildhartlivie

It's a wonderful thing that you still have your grandfather around to tell you those stories, GHCool. Not to sound old or anything, but my parents and grandparents died too early for me to really get the chance to listen to the stories and ask the questions that would give me a good understanding of my family's history. Don't take it for granted, ask and listen and remember. It's a wonderful thing!!!

Yep, one set of my grandparents were dead before I was born and the other set died when I was 7.
Only have very few memories of them.
Go to Top of Page

Conan The Westy 
"Father, Faithful Friend, Fwiffer"

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  22:57:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife and I lost our last grandparent this month. Our girls got to form lasting memories of 3 great-grandmothers which was a real blessing. They each read a poem at the funeral last Wednesday.

One of my nans grew up in the Ballarat orphanage after her father died in France in WW1. I get see his name each each year when I visit the War Memorial in Canberra with our Grade 6 camp.
Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  04:45:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so sorry to hear that, Conan. I cherish the memories of my granddad, though he was the first one to die. When I was 6, he built a merry-go-round in the yard for my sisters and I. It consisted of a Volkswagen axle buried upright in the ground, with a pulley wheel connected on the outside. He built a 2 seater attachment comprised of 2x4s arced around a center wheel, with seats on the end. It was powered by an electric motor or by hand. It was quite cool. My granddad was a carpenter, a grocer, a schoolbus driver, a basketball coach and an inventor. I have a photo somewhere, but it would take a shovel to find it!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000