Page: of 4

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  21:42:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Downtown

quote:
Originally posted by Randall
You know what I'd pay money to see? John Carpenter remaking HALLOWEEN with a budget. You know why I won't? Because he won't: why do it again?

An interesting idea...but by remaking their own movie, wouldn't a filmmaker be sending a message that they didn't do a good enough job the first time?

The difference would be, with a budget. My guess is Carpenter would feel that it worked better on a shoestring: stripped down to basics, as it were. But there certainly are idiots in Hollywood who might indeed have such a "brilliant idea," and the size of the paycheck has certainly affected other filmmakers.

George Sluizer remade himself with THE VANISHING about ten years ago, turning his perfectly good creeper into a lousy American mush. Feh!

Edited by - randall on 08/28/2007 21:53:37
Go to Top of Page

damalc 
"last watched: Sausage Party"

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  22:00:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Downtown

quote:
Originally posted by Randall
You know what I'd pay money to see? John Carpenter remaking HALLOWEEN with a budget. You know why I won't? Because he won't: why do it again?

An interesting idea...but by remaking their own movie, wouldn't a filmmaker be sending a message that they didn't do a good enough job the first time?

Michael Haneke is directing a remake of "Funny Games" to be released in October. i think his biggest reason is to put it in English, but i don't think there's any way it can have the impact of the original, and i hope they don't put some sappy ending on it. i'll probably wait for that one to play in the discount theater.
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  02:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both "An Affair to Remember" and the Jimmy Stewart version of "The Man Who Knew Too Much" are remakes remade by the same director. Takashi Shimizu also counts as someone who remade a film of his own in English, <i>The Grudge</i>, which is actually about 15 percent less shitty than his shitty Japanese original, so count that as another film improved upon by its remake.

Said it before, will say it again: Bring on the remakes. Bring 'em in planes, bring 'em in trains, bring 'em in piles, bring 'em for miles. The original is still there, the remake isn't hurting it. "Originality" is by far overrated.

Other movies improved by a remake:
The Hills Have Eyes
The Amityville Horror (again, both are terrible)
Yojimbo
Ocean's 11
The Front Page
Cape Fear
Go to Top of Page

Shiv 
"What a Wonderful World"

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  04:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John Carpenter put his name to the remake of The Fog as the writer of the original screenplay. It wasn't a good remake in my opinion, and I was probably doubly disappointed because his name was attached to the project, so I expected more.
Go to Top of Page

Shiv 
"What a Wonderful World"

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  04:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MisterBadIdea
[Said it before, will say it again: Bring on the remakes. Bring 'em in planes, bring 'em in trains, bring 'em in piles, bring 'em for miles. The original is still there, the remake isn't hurting it. "Originality" is by far overrated.

Yojimbo

Are you referring to Last Man Standing? I wouldn't say that was an improvement - although I thought it was a good film.

quote:

Cape Fear

I don't see this film as an improvement either - just a good remake.
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  05:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in fact referring to A Fistful of Dollars; I've never seen Last Man Standing.

Scorsese's "Cape Fear," I will argue, is far superior. De Niro's most underrated performance, his nastiest, and Nick Nolte's morally compromised protagonist is by far more interesting than Gregory Peck's more classically upstanding citizen. Plus, the whole daughter seduction thing. That's some serious backbone on that movie.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  06:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Hills Have Eyes
Yojimbo
Ocean's 11
The Front Page
Cape Fear
In my experience remakes are usually not as good as the original. Usually the bar was set high by the original which makes it hard to beat (who wants to remake a bad movie?)

Having said that, some of those movies you listed have pretty good remakes.

I'm not anti-remake, although I sometimes feel sorry for those who make their movie-watching decisions based on what's currently being rammed down their throats by Hollywood marketing, and have no idea that they're watching a B-grade remake of an excellent movie that they've never heard of, and that would be readily available to rent if they only bothered finding out that it existed and then went looking for it. My guess is that nobody reading this post comes under that category though.
Go to Top of Page

Shiv 
"What a Wonderful World"

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  08:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am in fact referring to A Fistful of Dollars; I've never seen Last Man Standing.

Oops, yes, silly me. Great film - but also different because of being one of the Leone films.

quote:

Scorsese's "Cape Fear," I will argue, is far superior. De Niro's most underrated performance, his nastiest, and Nick Nolte's morally compromised protagonist is by far more interesting than Gregory Peck's more classically upstanding citizen. Plus, the whole daughter seduction thing. That's some serious backbone on that movie.

This latter is a sign of the times. The scenes with Mitchum were violent, and risque for the time, and I feel his performance is of a different type of menacing to De Niro's. Scorcese's film has far more depth in the character's stories, and that includes the Max Cady character.

But this is why I agree that remakes are not a bad thing. The original will always be there, and a different audience is the target in a remake. The changes in times also bring more possibilities in technical film making, location shooting and social norms.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  10:42:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Both "An Affair to Remember" and the Jimmy Stewart version of "The Man Who Knew Too Much" are remakes remade by the same director. Takashi Shimizu also counts as someone who remade a film of his own in English, <i>The Grudge</i>, which is actually about 15 percent less shitty than his shitty Japanese original, so count that as another film improved upon by its remake.

Said it before, will say it again: Bring on the remakes. Bring 'em in planes, bring 'em in trains, bring 'em in piles, bring 'em for miles. The original is still there, the remake isn't hurting it. "Originality" is by far overrated.

The Hills Have Eyes
Yojimbo
Ocean's 11
The Front Page
Cape Fear

YOJIMBO is a special case, since the setting changed so drastically. And I don't think Leone improved on Kurosawa, though certainly more people have seen the former. FISTFUL is more on point, but you might as well say STAR WARS is a remake of THE HIDDEN FORTRESS.

And I prefer the b&w CAPE FEAR for its noir look. The blood's red in the Scorsese, but the original is much more subversive.

Don't forget DeMille and THE TEN COMMANDMENTS -- the rare case in which I liked the remake much better.

Edited by - randall on 08/29/2007 14:54:10
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  13:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remakes, remakes, remakes.
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  15:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is IMDb's list of remakes by the same director.

It does not include John Ford's 3 Godfathers which he had filmed many years earlier as a silent Marked Men.

C. B. Demille actually filmed The Squaw Man three times, twice as a silent and once as a talkie.

Edited by - lemmycaution on 08/29/2007 15:48:39
Go to Top of Page

silly 
"That rabbit's DYNAMITE."

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  15:59:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For your consideration (and perhaps reading pleasure)

Review of Zombie Halloween

quote:
Mr. Zombie (sorry Rob) feels as fresh and unique as a remake to what I consider a masterpiece of horror could possibly feel. If anyone could have made this work, it looks as though he may just have to be Rob Zombie. His Halloween is a brutal assault that brings a face to the myth of Michael Myers.

Now, it's just one review, but the Joblo reviews usually jive with my own opinions on movies like this. I'll have to see this one, just to know (and perhaps to mutter under my breath a few times "He ain't dead yet!" for old times sake).

I'm impatiently waiting for a remake of Star Wars, where everyone carries walkie talkies instead of weapons.
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  17:55:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See, here's the thing I never liked about Michael Myers. He's boring! Boooooooring! Even Jason has a primitive motivation of revenge. Myers's claim to fame is that he has no motivation for what he does. Interesting in its blank nihilism, perhaps, but I've never been able to muster up the ability to care. Plus, I've never been able to get how he's both an indestructible supernatural force and a drooling mental defective.

Rob Zombie puts a face behind the mask. It's not entirely successful, but it's a billion times more interesting to me.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  01:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

See, here's the thing I never liked about Michael Myers. He's boring! Boooooooring! Even Jason has a primitive motivation of revenge. Myers's claim to fame is that he has no motivation for what he does. Interesting in its blank nihilism, perhaps, but I've never been able to muster up the ability to care. Plus, I've never been able to get how he's both an indestructible supernatural force and a drooling mental defective.

Rob Zombie puts a face behind the mask. It's not entirely successful, but it's a billion times more interesting to me.

Duke Ellington on jazz.
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  03:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, man, that's another concept, along with "insists upon itself," that needs to be retired. If you find Michael Myers interesting, I'm sure you've got reasons, and by all means, I wanna hear them.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000