New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  09:41:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The title says it all.

No, that's not quite true. But it pisses me off that yet another Seth Rogan fantasy that the cutest girls will fuck the shlubbiest guys is being hailed as some kind of comic milestone. I know that's the basis for most of Woody Allen's films but in his defense Woody at least has some interesting conversation before the wood hits the fanny-hall.

Superbad does have some laughs and some loud smiles - but not nearly enough for a comedy.

It does remind us of the dubiously reassuring truth that teenagers are still obsessed with getting drunk and getting laid.

It ain't gonna do much for 'respect' for the boys in blue.

If you're forced at bubble-gum point to watch this, the biggest consolation is that it's instantly forgettable.

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  09:52:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

...Woody at least has some interesting conversation before the wood hits the fanny-hall.
When? What movie was that in?
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  09:55:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Se�n

quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

...Woody at least has some interesting conversation before the wood hits the fanny-hall.
When? What movie was that in?

Cynic!

Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  09:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Superbad

I can't agree, Bafta. I saw it last night and found it hilarious. And isn't it the case that some hot girls will sleep with less attractive but funny guys? I'd be really surprised if Rogen (N.B. not Rogan) weren't getting a lot of offers right now, and not just from being famous.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  11:54:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen this movie yet, but I did go to see Seth in Knocked Up where he sleeps with the godess of "Gray's Anatomy" Catherine Heigle. To it's credit, Catherine's character is written to reflect a woman who knows she looks okay, and yet has no inflated ego about her looks. Even in the scene where she's trying to convince her older sister that they're still "hot" despite her sister's age and her own advanced pregnancy, you can hear very little conviction in her voice. This is pointed up by the line she says to her sister about getting to know and like people for who they are, not how they look and that you shouldn't try to change them. This comes out so innocently honest, you can truly believe she would sleep with someone who looks like Seth Rogan.

Mind you, this film sounds a bit more childish than Knocked Up, but it is supposed to be a teen movie, isn't it.

Remember too, the lesson we learned from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" - even the sexiest woman on earth could easily fall for a funny looking jerk - all he needs to to is know how to make her laugh.
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 
"A fourword thinking guy."

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  15:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

No, that film just taught us that it applied to rabbits.

Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  15:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I certainly didn't get it. What was everybody raving about this movie for? I finally saw it last night and it was pretty stupid. Most of the movie was just Jonah Hill saying "fuck" all the time, and that's just not funny. Even when a witty line popped up every once in a while, the movie was so poorly directed that those rare gags fell pretty flat...everyone seemed to be standing around very awkwardly most of the time, as if they'd forgotten their lines.

This ain't no "Can't Hardly Wait." And Rogen and Hader should have stopped having fun long enough to realize that it's a problem when the sidestory is far more entertaining than following the two main characters.

Edited by - Downtown on 12/21/2007 15:36:05
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  15:40:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Oh, shit, it's the cops!"
--The cops

This movie is great. No, I didn't get why those girls would be interested either, but it's nice to see a sex comedy where the kids really are as awkward, confused and clueless as they are in real life.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  19:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What? You didn't get enough of that with those horrid American Pie movies?
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  19:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its nice to give us nerdy guys some hope.
Go to Top of Page

Wheelz 
"FWFR%u2019ing like it%u2019s 1999"

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  20:33:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MisterBadIdea

it's nice to see a sex comedy where the kids really are as awkward, confused and clueless as they are in real life.

This reminds me of Class from 1983.
Andrew McCarthy sleeps with his roommate's mother, Jacqueline Bissett, and it's a pretty painfully awkward scene. At one point Bissett says "You're on my hair." For some reason that line just cracked me up, and still does whenever I think about it.
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  21:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

Superbad

I can't agree, Bafta. I saw it last night and found it hilarious. And isn't it the case that some hot girls will sleep with less attractive but funny guys? I'd be really surprised if Rogen (N.B. not Rogan) weren't getting a lot of offers right now, and not just from being famous.

Ditto. I just saw it last night and laughed a ton. The last half of the movie sagged for me, but I truly enjoyed the parts I enjoyed. One fwiffer summed it up precisely as "Not super, not bad."

And PLENTY of hot babes will sleep with guys who are funny. I have a friend who is nody's Brad Pitt but has scored some major lookers with his captivating wit.

ME? I'm just stuck with being smart, and we all know that's the stupidest route to getting laid.
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  04:06:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just watched from Netflix. Why did I ever doubt Bafta? I only wanted to see what the Buzz was all about. I think I'll nominate it as one of the worst movies of the year.
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  15:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MguyX

PLENTY of hot babes will sleep with guys who are funny. I have a friend who is nody's Brad Pitt but has scored some major lookers with his captivating wit.

I believe you. But Jonah Hill saying "fuck" every third word isn't funny or witty. After about 20 minutes it was just annoying.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000