Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  21:47:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends if she saw the posters before she wrote her review or not.

Saw this tonight and I'm sorry to say it is almost entirely without merit - I can't quite believe it got a big screen release. Of course I didn't expect it to be much of a horror film given the premise, but I was hoping for it to be a bit funnier or more in line with the kinetic excess of Peter Jackson's early films. It tries very hard indeed to be funny and got very boring very quickly as a result. Worst culprit is the New Age environmentalist love-interest "Experience", who is laboured with endless toss about chakras, auras and feng shui, and the inevitable sheep shagging jokes which barely raise a smirk. The gore is plentiful and the sheep creatures are very well realised - the only plus point (although fumbled completely in the directing and editing - that's what you get when a world class effects studio work on a poorly conceived project), but even the creature effects are derivative of previous, better films. Such a shame. Turns out my review was sadly prophetic.
Go to Top of Page

Shiv 
"What a Wonderful World"

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  01:27:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think just the premise of the evil sheep is enough for me. I don't care if I'm disappointed by this film (when I eventually manage to get hold of it). When I was young and we drove past fields full of animals I always found sheep intrinsically funny. They dot the landscape like balls of cotton wool. But I also find this eerie. Gary Larson, the Far Side cartoonist, has a thing about cows. But I've always thought that his cartoon with the cows going on all fours when humans pass by would work better for sheep. They act incredibly stupidly, and seem so passive. Suspicious if you ask me. I also love the sheep in the Wallace and Gromit cartoon A Close Shave. Shaun the Sheep even has his own series now.
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  21:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

Depends if she saw the posters before she wrote her review or not.

Her review was approved on 26th January, so I'd be surprised. (I know that it was first shown in 2006, but presumably not widely.)
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  21:46:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed it, perhaps because I had low expectations, even though I had to trek to Enfield (at the far north of Greater London) for the privilege. As I don't actually like gore/horror etc., perhaps I have seen fewer and less similar films than demonic has. There is something quite funny about how much a threat to New Zealand such a turn of events would be. And interesting that neither of the other characters bats an eyelid when Experience tells them her (apparently reasonless) name!
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  23:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bump.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: