Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  01:57:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couldn't for the life of me find a GRINDHOUSE thread, and I tried hard, so let's go to the DVD editions.

I m getting tired of QT s M.O. DEATH PROOF is so faux it hurts. Even the conceit of the scratched, edited grindhouse print is abandoned once the thing gets really going; nobody's fooling anybody any more -- and they never were. The QT dialogue may be fun to hear, but now, after all these frickin movies, it's become like an obligatory sitting-room scene in a mystery cozy: OK, that's done, now let's get to the carnage. This flick has (1) one stone-ass fine performance by Kurt Russell, and (2) the damndest stunts in a flick-ending car chase you've ever seen -- the stuntwoman even plays herself. However, my friends, we're talking :30, maybe :40, amid a helluva lot of air, 2:00 or so in total.

The QT act, sadly, is approaching self-parody. Not to say you shouldn't see it, but it's a midget against the likes of PULP FICTION or even either KILL BILL. Sorry, but ptui.

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  07:54:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love all of the Tarantino films I've seen, but I agree with you that he probably will never top Pulp Fiction, which set new standards and opened new doors to independent filmmaking. I predict that Pulp Fiction will stay in the public consciousness 40 years from now. I can't say the same about Kill Bill and Grindhouse, but that doesn't mean that they aren't good movies.
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  09:17:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randall

Couldn't for the life of me find a GRINDHOUSE thread

It's here because of the issue of how to present it on this site.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  23:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GHcool

I love all of the Tarantino films I've seen,
Have you seen that stupid remake of the Roald Dahl story from ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS, in which Tarantino, Willis and pals seem to have no knowledge of the piece beyond ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS? [QT may be one savvy cineaste, but that's one of Dahl's most famous works, and our hero is clueless.] It's in the "comedy" FOUR ROOMS, by R-Rod, QT, and two others...
Go to Top of Page

Ali 
"Those aren't pillows."

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  07:03:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yeah - terrible films both, Death Proof and Four Rooms.
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  23:31:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Have you seen that stupid remake of the Roald Dahl story from ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS, in which Tarantino, Willis and pals seem to have no knowledge of the piece beyond ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS? [QT may be one savvy cineaste, but that's one of Dahl's most famous works, and our hero is clueless.] It's in the "comedy" FOUR ROOMS, by R-Rod, QT, and two others...

That's a really awful criticism of the segment. The segment is not about the Roald Dahl story, or even about the Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode, it's about a bunch of drunk guys who once saw the episode. I don't see why the Dahl story matters at all.

Now, the fact that it's a very long setup for a middling punchline, that's my criticism of the piece.

Death Proof, I liked. I understand the criticism of too much dialogue, yes. I even agree with it somewhat. I loved the first dialogue-heavy setup, but during the second part, I was dying for some action.

I'd say Kill Bill has a good shot of lasting forty years.
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  01:22:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I haven't see Four Rooms nor the Dahl episode of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents."
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  03:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

But the characters had definitely seen the latter, and they ascribe it to Alfred Hitchcock. It was also dramatized [better, IMHO] on the Dahl-hosted British series TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED.

cool, watch FOUR ROOMS -- just the last :30 will do -- and then tell me you're still a QT completist. If so, God bless you. For a hint, the Dahl story involves a wager with a hatchet and a finger.
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  06:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

cool, watch FOUR ROOMS -- just the last :30 will do -- and then tell me you're still a QT completist. If so, God bless you. For a hint, the Dahl story involves a wager with a hatchet and a finger.

I never said I was a QT completist. I haven't even seen Resevoir Dogs yet! I just said that I loved everything I have seen of his, althought this was probably an over-exaggeration because I really only loved Pulp Fiction and just plain liked the other QT movies I've seen. I heard mixed things about Four Rooms, but I still would like to see it. Maybe I'll make a double feature weekend with Resevoir Dogs and Four Rooms some day.

I keep a list of the directors and filmmakers that inspire me. I raise and lower their status on the list depending on a ballpark analysis of how much their movies mean to me and how much their style influences my ideas about films and filmmaking. I update this list whenever I find a filmmaker or film that excites me (the most recent being Roger Donaldson who directed The World's Fastest Indian). Right now the list has 58 names on it; my #1 filmmaker on the list is Steven Spielberg and my #58 filmmaker is Vincente Minnelli. Quentin Tarantino ranks at #40 which is just below Tim Burton and just above John Avildsen (who directed The Karate Kid and Rocky). I think its safe to say that Tarantino to be in this company and not closer to Spielberg or closer to Minnelli.

But that's just my directors list. Tarantino's editor, Sally Menke, ranks much higher on my editors list (#18)! (Yes, I am a little obsessive).

Edited by - GHcool on 10/24/2007 06:30:43
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  16:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tarantino's editor, Sally Menke, ranks much higher on my editors list (#18)! (Yes, I am a little obsessive).

Now the editing is really something to rave about in DEATH PROOF, especially the last :30. No argument there.
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  19:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Tarantino's editor, Sally Menke, ranks much higher on my editors list (#18)! (Yes, I am a little obsessive).

Now the editing is really something to rave about in DEATH PROOF, especially the last :30. No argument there.

the thing about editing is that it is just as difficult, and often more difficult, to edit a dialogue scene and have it make sense and to keep it interesting as it is to edit a high pace action sequence. The dialogue scenes in "Death Proof" (and other Tarantino/Menke films) are edited with as much style and grace as the action scenes.
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  21:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't make a fake or artificial B-Grade movie. You can SPOOF them, like in Mars Attacks!, or you can make tributes to them, like Kill Bill, but this was an attempt to actually recreate a "real" B-grade movie. That is a pointless endeavor.

I really like Pulp Fiction. I think it's great...except for two fatal flaws: the "square" that we can see, and the stupid light in the briefcase. I don't know what the bleep QT was thinking putting that in.

Edited by - Downtown on 10/24/2007 21:10:01
Go to Top of Page

Animal Mutha 
"Who would've thunk it?"

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  21:16:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I heard somewhere the glowing briefcase was a nod to 'Kiss Me Deadly'.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  22:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree about Uma's square: WTF? We're so cool that we can just jump out of the movie? Turns out, we can! Save me!

QT may have just been chasing booT at that point.

Edited by - randall on 10/24/2007 22:57:19
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  23:09:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

the thing about editing is that it is just as difficult, and often more difficult, to edit a dialogue scene and have it make sense and to keep it interesting as it is to edit a high pace action sequence. The dialogue scenes in "Death Proof" (and other Tarantino/Menke films) are edited with as much style and grace as the action scenes.

Yes, of course, as Thelma Schoonmaker has shown us for the last two decades; I appreciate the contribution of editing to great dialog sequences [GODFATHER, for example]. But QT-pie threw his editor into the spotlight, and she, an amateur in all this, absolutely ripped it: look at the last :30 and tell me I'm wrong. Magnifico! Yes, they may have sat together and watched a bunch of grind-house movies, but they actually put an acting [stunt-woman] star on the hood of a car and gunned the muffafakka. Stunts contributed more than half to the show; Sally the rest.
Go to Top of Page

damalc 
"last watched: Sausage Party"

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  04:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- the stuntwoman even plays herself.

no way!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic