Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  01:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, not bad at all. I agree it made some improvements to the book (yes, worth a read) but made a right balls up of the end. It all got a bit lost with the arrival of Anna and the mute kid to be honest, all the tension and interest drained, but everything up to that point had me pretty gripped and entertained. The sequence in the deserted tenement in the dark had my heart racing.... yum! Empty New York's been done of course, but it looked great. Liked Will. Seriously loved that dog, and had some grit in the eye too. Pesky gritty cinemas.

Sadly the infected looked rubbish. No one will convince me CGI is getting better. It's plastic and unconvincing, and would have been so much better with state of the art make up, or actors performing under additional CGI. At points we might have well been watching "The Mummy" all over again. Shit.

The "God" issue was sort of Anna's thing, not really a reason for anything happening or otherwise I think, but it significantly failed to explain how she knew there was a place in Vermont and all the other things that she happened to know. Would have much preferred the book's solution, and was convinced for a while that it was going to go the same way. If only. But it got under my skin, whatever the ultimate failings of the script, which makes it a success in my mind.
Go to Top of Page

Sludge 
"Charlie Don't Serf!"

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  02:33:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would have been cool and arguably plausible if God was one of the zombies.

(oops, off I go to hell again)
Go to Top of Page

Ali 
"Those aren't pillows."

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  13:44:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I saw it this weekend, and wrote a little blurb about it on my blog. It was good enough until the title changed from I Am Legend to I Am Messiah Metaphor.
Go to Top of Page

silly 
"That rabbit's DYNAMITE."

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  16:08:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a heads up, the DVD includes an alternate ending that is much, much better. SPOILERS at link
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  13:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silly

Just a heads up, the DVD includes an alternate ending that is much, much better. SPOILERS at link

When I noticed this movie was still unrated only a few weeks before its release, the first thing I thought to myself was "they're re-editing this movie at the 11th hour because it got an R rating and they want a PG-13. They better not be hacking it to pieces."

From what I've been told by people that have seen the DVD, that's precisely what the studio did.
Go to Top of Page

silly 
"That rabbit's DYNAMITE."

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  14:41:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've only seen the alternate ending (which I liked), I wanna see the "unrated directors cut" or whatever.

Go to Top of Page

duh 
"catpurrs"

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  18:10:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silly

I don't understand why it was thought that the theatrical release ending was better than that one.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000