New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  23:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Kite Runner

A highly satisfying adaptation of the book. It really captures all the different moods very well. The performances by the young boys, requiring as they do to convey quite sophisticated sets of emotions, are spot on.

I don't have any significant criticisms of it at all - the only thing I can think of is Assef's physical characteristics (isn't he supposed to have blue eyes or something, i.e. is not pure Pashtun?).

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  18:26:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have now thought of a small but significant thing that was missed out. Spoiler: In the book, Rahim Khan (I presume - cannot remember for sure but don't know who else it could be) informs Amir that Hassan knew he saw him getting raped. He may also say that Baba knew about it.
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  15:04:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My verdict is that this movie is pretty bad, pretty damn bad. Or maybe not bad per se, just unfocused, uninvolving and unsatisfying.

Maybe it's the flat direction -- too dramatic in the wrong places and too restrained in others. I've seen a lot of people who didn't like the movie call director Marc Forster a complete hack. I've liked Forster's other movies quite a bit, even though I think Finding Neverland quite overrated, but it's clear to me that he's benefited by working with actors like Johnny Depp, Billy Bob Thornton and Will Ferrell. Khalid Abdalla is no Depp or Thornton, and he's really no Will Ferrell. He's a lifeless cipher.

Other problems seem to stem back to the original story. The movie is all over the place -- it's a childhood drama, a coming-of-age story, a tale of redemption, blah dee blah. The middle third is completely useless, being neither interesting nor necessary. I also don't like how the child at the end is treated solely as a vehicle for Abdalla's redemption. This film just doesn't work in any real way.
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  15:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew you wouldn't have liked it before I re-opened the thread.

I have been thinking about the story quite a bit since seeing the film and you are right about certain failings - too many characters seem to be present only for their relationships with the central character, and they are too venerated. However, in the book the damage to Sohrab is made very clear, and it's pretty clear in the film too, to be honest. Amir's redemption is far from cut and dried.

I agree that Finding Neverland is overrated, though. This film is certainly much better.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000