Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  10:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randall

Ali: I just got back from a FSLC screening of THE BAND'S VISIT, which I adored. [They'll be showing us THE COUNTERFEITERS next month.] What exactly was the controversy? That Arabs and Israelis could coexist? Please, somebody from the Mideast fill me in...I honestly don't know.

Totally agree about Band ... it's wonderful! I'm really remiss with my reviews, but thought it was an excellent example of man's inherent decency. With so much emphasis these days on polarizing people, ideas, here's a refrehsingly positive light. Can't recall the name of the actors playing the cafe-lady and bandleader, but I thought both were remarkable. I originally nominated them both for BAFTAs but I think not enough members had seen it, so it never made the long-short-list. It would have been so easy for this to have slipped into mushy sentimentality, but it's clean, and witty, and pure, and true.

PS, Ali -- nice blog, even if I don't agree with everything you write

Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  11:24:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GHcool

quote:
Originally posted by Randall

Ali: I just got back from a FSLC screening of THE BAND'S VISIT, which I adored. [They'll be showing us THE COUNTERFEITERS next month.] What exactly was the controversy? That Arabs and Israelis could coexist? Please, somebody from the Mideast fill me in...I honestly don't know.

I haven't seen The Band's Visit yet, but the controversy is that more than 50% of the dialogue is in English, and therefore it cannot be considered for the Best Foreign Language Film category. This is clearly a rule that can and should be bent to reflect the reality of the world we live in in which English is a common language that different cultures communicate through.

Amazing. Think I'll go start a thread so we can talk about it when we all see it. You'll be interested to know that, because of the heavily accented actors in both camps, the English dialogue was subtitled!

Edited by - randall on 01/28/2008 21:57:33
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  12:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And speaking about Foreign Language films, Israel has a contender for the Oscar this year - Beaufort, and boy is that one amazing film!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000