Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Montgomery 
"F**k!"

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  16:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard over the weekend that the top movies were that crap Fool's Gold (if ever a title was more appropriate). Second, the Roscoe Jenkin's movie. (Please!) And third, the Hannah Montana movie.

The Oscars are coming up.

There are a ton of great movies out right now. I have so many I want to see. And these people are wasting their time and money going to see this cinematic puke.

EM :)

benj clews 
"...."

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  17:37:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know... and just who the heck is Hannah Montana anyway?

Still, I guess I'll find out a few months from now when 75% of UK multiplex screens are showing Hannah Montana because it's 'The US Box Office Sensation'.

It's tragic that such films do so well in the US, but even worse that the rest of the world then ends up being force-fed this stuff just because US audiences lapped it up

(On the plus side, the 'Atlantic filter' does occaisionally sift out the crap- just not as often as I'd like).
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  18:12:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's really wrong with America ...

... is a leaky valve screw just under Butte Montana. Just a little teflon tape and a tiny wrench, and all would be right. But no ...
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  20:05:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MguyX

What's really wrong with America ...

... is a leaky valve screw just under Butte Montana.

Are Butte and Hannah related?
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  20:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Fool's Gold. Early contender for worst movie of the year. I think my official review used about 11 synonyms for "irritating."
Go to Top of Page

duh 
"catpurrs"

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  09:41:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

It's tragic that such films do so well in the US, but even worse that the rest of the world then ends up being force-fed this stuff just because US audiences lapped it up

Contrast that to the truly excellent exports we receive from Britain, both dramatic and comedic.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  10:16:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by duh

Contrast that to the truly excellent exports we receive from Britain, both dramatic and comedic.

Yep and trust me- we could send you some absolute shite if we wanted
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  14:18:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Precisely which movies do you think should be tops in the box office right now?
Go to Top of Page

Montgomery 
"F**k!"

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  15:21:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Downtown

There Will Be Blood was excellent.
No Country For Old Men was also excellent.
Juno was very, very good.

I'm sure most of America has not seen any of those three films. But, the latest flop from Kate and Matt they run right out and see. (With an extra large buttered popcorn and a life's supply size of soda).

Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  16:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Montgomery

quote:

I'm sure most of America has not seen any of those three films. But, the latest flop from Kate and Matt they run right out and see. (With an extra large buttered popcorn and a life's supply size of soda).

Actually, Juno is one of the bigger hits of the year, it made more than the last Ocean's Eleven sequel.
Go to Top of Page

Montgomery 
"F**k!"

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  16:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MisterBadIdea

quote:

quote:

Actually, Juno is one of the bigger hits of the year, it made more than the last Ocean's Eleven sequel.

Okay. So some have seen Juno. But, my point is. It should still be beating out these other lame entries. It's ranked 5th this week. And There Will Be Blood is below Rambo, The Bucket List and 27 Dresses. (A movie so bad, my 15 year old niece told my sister, "We could have left 20 minutes into it. And I wouldn't have minded.")

USA Weekend Box-Office Summary
week of 8 February 2008 Rank Title Weekend Gross
1 Fool's Gold (2008) $21.6M $21.6M
2 Welcome Home, Roscoe Jenkins (2008) $16.2M $16.2M
3 Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour (2008) $10.3M $53.2M
4 The Eye (2008/I) $6.53M $21.4M
5 Juno (2007) $5.6M $118M
6 27 Dresses (2008) $5.41M $65.1M
7 The Bucket List (2007) $5.28M $75M
8 Rambo (2008) $4.48M $36.9M
9 Meet the Spartans (2008) $4.11M $34M
10 There Will Be Blood (2007) $3.98M $26.7M
Box office data supplied by and copyright Exhibitor

Go to Top of Page

Downtown 

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  17:20:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Country For Old Men was released in November.
There Will Be Blood was released over a month ago. It's also an independent film and has gotten limited advertising.
Juno's been out for a month and a half...and it's grossed over $100M so far.

I don't see why it should surprise or bother anyone that these films were beaten last week by three new releases.

And I've seen some of the garbage that passes for entertainment is other parts of the world. Spare us the condescending suggestions that we're all a bunch of boorish anti-intellectuals.
Go to Top of Page

Montgomery 
"F**k!"

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  19:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

There Will Be Blood was released over a month ago. It's also an independent film and has gotten limited advertising.

I don't see why it should surprise or bother anyone that these films were beaten last week by three new releases.

And I've seen some of the garbage that passes for entertainment is other parts of the world. Spare us the condescending suggestions that we're all a bunch of boorish anti-intellectuals.

I think you and I are both from America, right?

I'm not trying to be condescending. I'm just wondering how these movies do well, when other, better movies, which are still out in the theatres and no way have they been seen by a lot of the movie going public don't do as well.

Yes, No Country For Old Men has been out longer, but it just got nominated for Best Picture. And it is still out in the theatres for that same reason.

There Will Be Blood just got nominated for Best Picture, too. So, even if people had not heard of it before, they should know about it now.

I think when it comes down to it, people would rather see a movie like Roscoe Jenkins or Fool's Gold than a movie they have to think about. And they are missing out, if you ask me.

I go to see crap movies, too. But, not when there is something really good out at the theatres, like there is now. And usually, I save those kinds of movies for DVD rental. Although, Fool's Gold, I don't see myself ever seeing.

Edited by - Montgomery on 02/13/2008 19:49:29
Go to Top of Page

RockGolf 
"1500+ reviews. 1 joke."

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  21:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the biggest problem America had was that "Fool's Gold" were the #1 movie for 1 week in January, they'd be just fine.

Hannah Montana is a Disney TV tween comedy series in which a teenager who is a music superstar in a blonde wig with the stage name "Hannah Montana" also tries to live a normal life under her (and the actress's) real name of Miley Cyrus. Hijinks ensue.

Cyrus is the real-life daughter of country singer turned actor Billy Ray Cyrus - remember "Achy Breaky Heart"? And for a kid singer, she seems to have her head on straight in real life. Hopefully she doesn't pull a Lohan or either of the Spears.

The film is a 3D-concert where Cyrus performs both as herself and Montana. No plot, just a concert. Until the TV series is as ensteeped in the UK public's imagination as High School Musical was, I don't think you'll see the film open in the UK.

My wife drove my daughter about 40 miles to a Saturday morning 10 am showing of the film as those was the only available tickets for the "limited one week" release. I tried to tell them that Disney never never never never turns down money and if it was that popular, there'd be no way in hell they'd limit the film to a single week release. Naturally, by the time they hit the theatre, it was announced that the run had been extended due to popular demand. I couldn't have been less surprised.
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  22:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I think you and I are both from America, right?

Well you certainly wouldn't be the first "self-hating American," although I'll take your word for it that you're not.

Anyway, I have a strong suspicion that the target audience for "Hannah Montana" is a little different from the target audience for "No Country For Old Men."
Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  23:47:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the things that one must take into consideration in regarding films includes the target audience, marketing and what the consumer is looking for in a film. The tween-teen market has always leaned toward what we, as hopefully intelligent adults, simply dismiss as garbage. As far as Hannah Montana, well, it's okay for what it is (I babysat my goddaughter's children last week and was made to suffer through an episode which pitted Dolly Parton against Vicki Lawrence for Hannah's affections), and it actually seems to have a bit more substance than - Saved by the Bell. Having said that, Disney has a game which annoys the crap out of me. Has anyone else noticed that they market a film excessively, let it max out on sales and then announces it's withdrawal from the market? How arrogant!

But anyway, typical downtown USA tastes are far different than, apparently, ours. Your typical Hoosier waits in anticipation for the next action film, thus the success of a Rambo, Die Hard, Bourne Identity, etc. They went to see the Ocean's films because, for the most part, they didn't notice the self-indulgence of them, and doggoneit, those guys got over!!! They don't want to think, and probably, secretly, long for the days when you took your buds and your girl to the drive-in, six pack of beer in tow, and either get high/drunk or make out during the actual scenes where someone is having a conversation. In general, none of these films will ever be an Academy Award contender, but then, they aren't made, or marketed, for that. They have their place or they wouldn't be made. None of those people will ever appreciate a Good Night and Good Luck, or There Will Be Blood, or even Juno, unless it happens to have a great and (often) bloody fight scene. I try to remind myself of this quite often when I see what DVDs I'm selling and when I wonder why Johnny Depp (yeah, yeah) wins the popularity awards and not the ones that reward his acting. But then, that's just me.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000