Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  01:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whats wrong with America? There couldnt be a better question. Why 'Hannah' and Why 'Fools Gold'? You have to ask?????

Parents are taking thier kids to see Hannah.

ANd love sick puppy girls are going to see a shirtless Matthew.

Theres nothing for us guys to watch?
Go to Top of Page

turrell 
"Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh "

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  06:12:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the fancy pants UK'ers have National Treasure as their top movie and The Chipmunks in the top 10, so it appears to be a world epidemic.

That said people drink Sunny D, enjoy NASCAR, prefer Leno to Letterman and drive massive SUVs here so what can you say? Pop music is crap (for the most part) and so are pop - movies, soda pop and poppy novels. As long as I have the choice to see There will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men, then I don't care what the rest of the schlubs are paying to see.
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  15:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
people...prefer Leno to Letterman

It never even occurred to me that Letterman was "the intellectual one."
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  15:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Letterman once wore a suit covered in Alka-Seltzer and dunked himself into a tank of water. Let's see Leno do that. Letterman is not necessarily the intellectual one, but he's certainly the smarter one. Leno's program, on the other hand, is one of the laziest and most unchallenging excuses for comedy since the heyday of America's Funniest Home Videos.
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  18:04:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're not the first one to notice that the format of The Tonight Show hasn't changed in 50 years. And it's not going to change any time soon.

But there's nothing original about The Late Show, either. Pretty much the same formula every night, including the Top 10...which they get their viewers to write for them.
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  21:08:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turrell

Well the fancy pants UK'ers have National Treasure as their top movie and The Chipmunks in the top 10, so it appears to be a world epidemic.

National Treasure is not so bad. At least this time they could tell the difference between American treasure and non-American treasure. The worst thing about it is that it suggests that Queen Victoria supported the South in the American Civil War, and thus slavery. This is not very likely. Slavery had never been legal in Britain, the trade had been outlawed in 1807 (before she was born) and the practice throughout the Empire banned in 1833 (when she was fourteen or fifteen and not yet Queen). Public opinion was solidly in support of the North, even amongst the cotton workers who starved as a result of the blockade.

I'm guessing that it may be half-term around now, which may account for the popularity of Alvin and the Chipmunks.
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  22:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well really the truth is somewhere in between.

The British position on the American Civil War was that they needed cotton, no matter who sold it to them or how it was harvested. They were officially neutral throughout the war after Lincoln made it clear that the USA was prepared to defend itself if necessary against any foreign powers supporting an internal insurrection (and suggested that maybe Americans might return the favor by being "sympathetic" if certain British provinces chose to break away), but Queen Victoria was prepared to establish relations with the CSA if "the fortune of arms or the more peaceful mode of negotiation shall have determined the respective positions of the two belligerents." I'm sure there was plenty of moral outrage about slavery, but in the end, business is business.

Frankly, I would have expected more outrage from the original National Treasure, because from what I've been told there's been a wave of anti-Masonry across the pond in recent years...plus, all the fog-breathers in that movie are a bunch of boobs.

Edited by - Downtown on 02/21/2008 03:09:08
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  00:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Downtown

quote:
people...prefer Leno to Letterman

It never even occurred to me that Letterman was "the intellectual one."

He is.
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  03:03:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suppose everything is relative.
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  04:24:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I didn't make this clear, I wasn't trying to make a point about the unchanging format of Leno's show. No, I was trying to make the point that Jay Leno has has never been fucking funny. Ever. He uses the weakest, most watered-down jokes ever, he Fucking. Sucks.

I don't watch a lot of Letterman -- I'm a Conan watcher myself -- but I prefer him to Leno just because, after Leno put up a big sign in Times Square proclaiming him #1 in late night, Letterman put up an even bigger sign proclaiming himself #3 in late night. Go Letterman.

There are worse ways to spend a Saturday afternoon than National Treasure: Book of Secrets, but it's chaste, bloodless and not particularly thrilling. I guess some decent car chases redeemed it a little. But still there's some serious bullshit in this movie, not the least of which is a lost Spanish city of gold in South Dakota. Or a president who gives up access to the nation's deepest secrets for a patriotic speech and a handshake.
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  18:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Letterman having a funnier monologue - which is easy when it's half as long so they take out all the clunkers - doesn't make his show more intelligent. And maybe he's funnier because he's just acting like a clown all the time while Leno is busy doing his homework on his guests so he can really INTERVIEW them instead of just making them play the straight man to his own antics.

And no...I don't really watch Leno, either. I'd rather watch SportsCenter than late night talk shows, but Letterman is just childish and annoying.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  22:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Downtown

You're not the first one to notice that the format of The Tonight Show hasn't changed in 50 years. And it's not going to change any time soon.

But there's nothing original about The Late Show, either. Pretty much the same formula every night, including the Top 10...which they get their viewers to write for them.

You are incorrect, sir!

You may be confusing the cheerful LATE SHOW website competition with the on-air product of actual writers, but viewers don't write the Top Ten lists, bro. They can't. They're too topical even for the Web. Imfrigginpossible -- which a moment's reflection will reveal.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000