Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  03:09:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian
And I don't mind surrealism or indeed pretension: this just has no elan - at all.

Whaaaaaa?

I swear to God, I practically expect you to tell me that Singin' in the Rain was filmed in black-and-white next.

At least we agree on Inland Empire. Boy, do we ever agree on that.

Edited by - MisterBadIdea on 04/20/2008 05:04:22
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  11:31:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen INLAND EMPIRE three times now. As with SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, I can't quit watching once I dip in. Nope, I can't explain some of it -- hell, most of it -- but it's hypnotically powerful to me. I guess that's what makes horse races; enough people were unimpressed that Lynch had trouble finding U.S. distribution, but then he shot on digital for a fraction of what it might have cost otherwise, so he's been lent a certain aesthetic freedom from popularity polls. Thank god for DVDs, and for the New York Film Festival, which gave me the chance to see it on a real movie screen.
Go to Top of Page

Beanmimo 
"August review site"

Posted - 11/10/2008 :  11:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I couldn't find (or didn't try hard enough) the Inland Empire thread, from what i remember i enjoyed Mulholland Drive but lynch has gone a step further, i'll need to watch IE again but this time with squared paper and a ruler, or just a joint to really wreck my head!!

Love those Bunnies.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 11/16/2008 :  19:46:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 9eanmimo

I couldn't find (or didn't try hard enough) the Inland Empire thread, from what i remember i enjoyed Mulholland Drive but lynch has gone a step further, i'll need to watch IE again but this time with squared paper and a ruler, or just a joint to really wreck my head!!

Love those Bunnies.

My three viewings were all weed-free, but the home-video screenings [#2 and #3] both happened late at night, when I'm able to turn off my mind, relax and float downstream. Same thing, I guess. In a year or so, I'll watch it again.

Edited by - randall on 11/16/2008 19:47:27
Go to Top of Page

Beanmimo 
"August review site"

Posted - 11/18/2008 :  18:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I watched it two nights running (with no stimulants!!) and the dreams I had on that second night were a series of terrifying vignettes.

Still haven't properly worked it out.

I mean the plot is quite simple but trying to work out the rest of it is proving quite difficult.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 11/18/2008 :  19:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just remember - they're the same girl!

Go to Top of Page

Beanmimo 
"August review site"

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  15:14:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

But it's not the same movie...

How very Lynchian of us discussing one of his movies under the Thread heading of an other....he'd be proud.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 11/28/2008 :  05:23:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand that die-hard Lynch-haters won't care, but just for the record, David Foster Wallace's piece on Lynch from the LOST HIGHWAY set [it was originally commissioned by PREMIERE and is now found in his essay collection A SUPPOSEDLY FUN THING I'LL NEVER DO AGAIN] comes closer than anyone else I've ever read to describing just why those of us who dig Lynch dig Lynch. There are warts, to be sure, but there are also serious undercurrents that don't show up in anyone else's movies. As if Lynch cared what you think. But then, that's part of the point.
Go to Top of Page

Beanmimo 
"August review site"

Posted - 11/28/2008 :  14:07:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great article Randall, thanks...here's the Lynch Link

Edited by - Beanmimo on 11/28/2008 14:08:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly