Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 06/28/2008 :  18:47:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got back from the latest Pixar, and while I'm as delighted and amazed as usual, I think that in time, this one may supplant the original TOY STORY as my favorite movie from these guys. It's astonishing how much facial expression and pathos the Pixies can coax out of a couple of headlight-shaped eyes; their evident study of how we humans communicate our feelings is on display here.

But what really sets WALL-E apart is the storytelling. I didn't clock it, obviously, but I'd be willing to bet that 75% of the film is dialogue-free. So: animating metallic objects without benefit of dialogue [if memory serves, the title character utters exactly two intelligible words during the entire picture], and finding as much heart as in any of their other stories, while giving us a Marx Brothers good time. What an accomplishment.

The story? I'll let you discover that for yourself, but it's a terrific science fictional ride, a love story, and a lightly nudging environmental polemic all in one. A smashing success, a masterpiece, and I only have one slight animation beef, involving Fred Willard.

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 06/28/2008 :  20:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randall

Just got back from the latest Pixar, and while I'm as delighted and amazed as usual, I think that in time, this one may supplant the original TOY STORY as my favorite movie from these guys. It's astonishing how much facial expression and pathos the Pixies can coax out of a couple of headlight-shaped eyes; their evident study of how we humans communicate our feelings is on display here.

But what really sets WALL-E apart is the storytelling. I didn't clock it, obviously, but I'd be willing to bet that 75% of the film is dialogue-free. So: animating metallic objects without benefit of dialogue [if memory serves, the title character utters exactly two intelligible words during the entire picture], and finding as much heart as in any of their other stories, while giving us a Marx Brothers good time. What an accomplishment.

The story? I'll let you discover that for yourself, but it's a terrific science fictional ride, a love story, and a lightly nudging environmental polemic all in one. A smashing success, a masterpiece, and I only have one slight animation beef, involving Fred Willard.

Both me and my inner 4-year-old can't wait for this! Ever since I saw the first trailer several months ago I've been hooked

Tomorrow is that Kung Fu Panda, which I feel won't hold a candle to Wall-E -- but I'll letcha know.

Go to Top of Page

silly 
"That rabbit's DYNAMITE."

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  14:20:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great movie, not so sure they are "lightly nudging" about the environment

I took four boys to see it, and one walked out saying "That rocked. And I am going to be sure to exercise for the rest of my life!"
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  15:34:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cute overload. All cuteness shields have failed, gentlemen. Resistance is futile.

As for the light nudging on environmentalism, it's really quite loud and clear what they're saying about the environment. Any accusations of tedious preachiness is immediately shot down by the fact that the fat pampered humans are in fact great people -- brave, kind-hearted, etc. Victims of their culture, not the other way around. They just need a little wake-up call to get them moving in the right direction.
Go to Top of Page

Montgomery 
"F**k!"

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  16:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MisterBadIdea

They just need a little wake-up call to get them moving in the right direction.

Or, moving at all, apparently. Great film. All five of my family loved it. And my 7-year-old boy told me, "Don't tell D.J., (our 11-year-old) but I cried during WALL-E." Very cute.

EM :)

Edited by - Montgomery on 06/30/2008 16:35:22
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  16:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the environmental message is in your face. In fact, it's over the top. In fact, it's used mostly for humorous effect, not to scare anyone. That's what I meant.
Go to Top of Page

silly 
"That rabbit's DYNAMITE."

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  19:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Randall, I realized that after I replied...

The first thing that popped into my head during the opening sequences was Wal-Mart. The second thing was Disney.
Go to Top of Page

turrell 
"Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh "

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  16:03:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loved this movie - it was so magical - kind of a Bernardo Bertolucci type experience and ode to film, song and romance. I can't say how creative this was - it was truly inspired and I agree the lack of dialogue served this film well. But what dialogue it had amongst its robots were so poignantly delivered that a few words spoke thousands.

I wonder if the much inferior, but still thought provoking film, Idiocracy had any influence on WALL-E - I couldn't help but see parallels between the two movies.
Go to Top of Page

RockGolf 
"1500+ reviews. 1 joke."

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  16:13:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just loved, loved, loved this movie from beginning to end. Except for the humans, the computer animation is almost photo-realistic. The outer-space ballet with a fire extinguisher is pure poetry. Heck, they put more work and plot into the end-credits (from cave drawings thru art history to early Nintendo-64 level computer graphics) than most movies do into the whole production. This is a classic that deserves not just the Best Animated Film awards, it is so far the best film I've seen in about a decade.
Go to Top of Page

Montgomery 
"F**k!"

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  18:05:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turrell

I wonder if the much inferior, but still thought provoking film, Idiocracy had any influence on WALL-E - I couldn't help but see parallels between the two movies.

I loved Idiocracy. They're two very different kinds of movies.

Don't knock Idiocracy. It was hilarious. And yet, sadly, probably our true future.

Ugh. Stupidity will someday rule. What am I saying? It's ruling today.

Go to Top of Page

turrell 
"Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh "

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  20:33:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked Idiocracy as well - but it had flaws and I don't think there were many (if any) in WALL-E.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  23:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too thought IDIOCRACY was magnificent.

I thought WALL-E was transcendent.
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  23:52:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually did not much like "Idiocracy." It had its moments, but mostly I felt like I was watching Elitism for Dummies -- it asks you to laugh at morons for laughing at a guy being kicked in the balls, but it also asks you to laugh at the guy being kicked in the balls. Didn't work for me.
Go to Top of Page

Montgomery 
"F**k!"

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  18:40:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MisterBadIdea

I actually did not much like "Idiocracy." It had its moments, but mostly I felt like I was watching Elitism for Dummies -- it asks you to laugh at morons for laughing at a guy being kicked in the balls, but it also asks you to laugh at the guy being kicked in the balls. Didn't work for me.

I didn't laugh at the guy being kicked in the balls. Just the guy who would think that that action looped would be endless entertainment. I guess I'm an elitist.

I refer to Bill Maher's New Rules on how elitism has gotten a bad rap in our country.

So, let's focus on the big thing. That the people who claim to be the "non-elitists," are the ones who constantly shift tax burdens from the people who fire you, to you. John McCain voted to repeal the estate tax, voted against raising the minimum wage, has no health care plan, and is fine with keeping the working class in Iraq for a hundred years. But, he's a real "man of the people."

And the president went to Harvard and Yale, and inherited your country from his dad. But, he's not an elitist because he can neither read nor write.

What does it take to label someone "elitist" these days anyway? They wear shoes? They don't buy their groceries at the gas station? Their dog has a name and their truck doesn't?!

You know who is bitter in America? I am. Because shit-kickers voted twice for a retarded guy they wanted to have a beer with, and everybody else had to suffer the consequences!

And I say. If that is elitism -- to be smart enough to know when things are wrong and need to be changed for the better -- then sign me up for the "Elite" club.

Idiocracy was an exaggeration. (Let's hope.) But, some of it isn't too far off. (So sad.)

Edited by - Montgomery on 07/08/2008 18:43:27
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  20:25:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, believe me, I certainly don't have any problems with elitism. Anyone who knows me knows that. I just don't like elitism that anyone can get in on.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  22:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IDIOCRACY? "Elitist?" BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Let's go here.

Edited by - randall on 07/08/2008 22:20:51
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000