Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

chazbo 
"Outta This Fuckin' Place"

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  21:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

My inner 4-year-old was stamping her foot screaming No! No! Please rescue me. I do not want to go down this too-trodden path. But they didn't listen.

Interestingly, my outer 4-year-old (that is, my son) was also stamping his feet half way through the movie, in effect asking to be rescued from the theater. It was his first trip to the cinema, but unfortunately I didn't listen. In the end, though, he quite enjoyed the experience.

Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  23:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool! First trip to the cinema! Bet a few of us can remember that one...
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  01:00:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to add before that I did laugh out loud a lot, which is not always the case with these sort of animations.

Another thing I meant to mention was how strange it is to have Fred Willard shown on screen as the BnL CEO (but isn't he also the President?! -- nice touch), whereas all the other humans are animated. I thought there was something weird at the time, but strangely did not actually consciously notice the distinction. I think that this was because, if I remember rightly, he is shown on a screen on Earth, and everything else there is so realistic except the cockroach. Actually, the video footage (of whatever musical it is) falls into the same category. How odd, but it somehow works. I guess the fatties are shown as being detached from real life.

Finally, isn't the choice of (pronunciation of) names strange? One would consider that WALL�E is meant to be like Wally, but he does not really pronounce it "wolly" (more "wahly") and it is also not a name that most children will be familiar with*. Even more strangely, WALL�E pronounces EVE like Eva. Given that he says it far more often than anyone else, I thought that this was rather confusing for children.

*Actually, I have just remembered Where's Wally?, so that in fact may not be the case as a result.

Edited by - Salopian on 07/21/2008 09:16:02
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  02:05:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not so strange - he can't pronounce her name properly, something she finds endearing and has a bit of a laugh at. I don't know if children would get it or not, but it seemed clear to me when she was trying to teach him her name he wasn't quite getting it.
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  02:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

Not so strange - he can't pronounce her name properly, something she finds endearing and has a bit of a laugh at. I don't know if children would get it or not, but it seemed clear to me when she was trying to teach him her name he wasn't quite getting it.

Yes, of course I realised that he wasn't mispronouncing it on purpose. The point is that it's a strange choice given that his version is heard by far the most often, so younger children will be confused as to what her actual name is.
Go to Top of Page

turrell 
"Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh "

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  06:14:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My three year-old said "why he call her eva - her name is eve?" He also asked about 60 other questions but as it was a matinee filled with other inquisitive 3 - 7 year-olds it merely proved he was engaged. My 6 year-old just thought it was fuinny that he couldn't talk very well.

Edited by - turrell on 07/21/2008 06:15:09
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  09:14:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turrell

My three year-old said "why he call her eva - her name is eve?"

O.K., that's interesting. I wonder whether most three-year-olds would have picked up on that.
Go to Top of Page

silly 
"That rabbit's DYNAMITE."

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  14:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent the weekend with three kids playing the Wall-E video game. Let's just say "not as magical" and leave it at that. It does have some fun problem solving puzzles.

The "Eve/Eva" thing is kinda funny, my son (Josh or Joshua) absolutely HATES being called "Josh-e" but somehow his little sister gets away with it sometimes.
Go to Top of Page

Chris C 
"Four words, never backwards."

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  22:08:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris C

Went to see the movie with 11yo daughter this morning, and we came away very impressed with the whole movie.

I'm with Salopian and agree with many of Demonic's sentiments. I don't have anything to add.

quote:
Can I just say in antidote I loved the sci-fi in jokes (HAL from 2001, Sigourney Weaver taking on the "Mother" role) and the invulnerable cockroach gag... brilliant.

Did anyone else spot the "Silent Running" moment?

Wall-E climbing across the outside of the Axiom reminded me of Huey (or Dewey or Louie) doing the same in Silent Running.
Go to Top of Page

Wheelz 
"FWFR%u2019ing like it%u2019s 1999"

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  14:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally caught Wall-E over the weekend...

I really, really, really wanted to love this film. Perhaps I was a victim of unrealistic expectations. From the multiple 4-star reviews it's been getting, to the many positive comments here on FWFR (which I didn't read thoroughly for fear of spoilers) to various other word-of-mouth suggesting that this was not only the best animated film anyone's ever seen, but the best film of any kind, of the year, the decade, etc... I actually went in expecting to be blown away.

There is a lot to like about Wall-E. It looks absolutely fantastic, for one thing. The folks at Pixar keep outdoing themselves, and this is easily the best CG animation I have ever seen. I often hear people say things like "It's amazing what computers can do these days." But for my money, what's amazing is that there are people who can figure out how to do this stuff with computers. From that perspective, I was extremely impressed with this movie.

I was also impressed by the range of emotions that were coaxed out of a dumpy little trash compacter and an almost-featureless android. I enjoyed the stretches of dialogue-free storytelling, and I thought Jeff Garlin (one of my favorite comedians) did a nice job in his voice role.

But in the end, the whole thing just left me kind of flat. There's just one rather simplistic storyline -- we aren't treated to any meaningful sub-plots or interesting side characters. I didn't find myself fully absorbed by the story. I spent more time marveling at the terrific animation and looking at the settings than I did empathizing with the characters.

Overall, I had a nice time at the movies and I knew I'd just watched a fine film, but -- and this is an intangible that's difficult to define -- it just didn't really move me. In that regard, Wall-E ranks about fifth or sixth just among Pixar films. Both Toy Story movies, Cars, Finding Nemo, and even Monsters, Inc. engaged and delighted me much more than this one did.

Not that I didn't like Wall-E -- I did.
But as I said, I really hoped I would love it -- and I didn't.

Edited by - Wheelz on 08/11/2008 14:51:02
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000