Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

damalc 
"last watched: Sausage Party"

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  08:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why so serious?

is everybody scared to post this topic? i know you want to talk about it.

obviously, The Joker is the role that Heath Ledger was born, and died, to play.
if the only Joker you've seen is the Cesar Romero version from television, then you don't know The Joker.
a friend of mine says that, in the world of comics, if you see The Joker, ... run.
yeah, i'm scared.
the maniacal sadism of this character has never been properly shown until now.

there's no knowing whether HL will win, or deserves, the Oscar, GG and SAG awards that he will be nominated for but whenever he was not on the screen, all i could think about was when The Joker would be back.

my biggest problem with DK, and it's a small one, was that as much as most of the film tries to be based in reality, the dude with the cape and pointy ears looks a little silly, unlike "Batman Begins," which used some more fanciful elements.

Edited by - damalc on 07/20/2008 00:41:47

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  09:55:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I likely won't see this until this winter when it is released on DVD, unlike the rest of the world, most of whom seems to have seen it in the last 24 hours. My best bet for attending the cinema went with the loss of my friend last month. However, this is one film I'd really like to see soon. I'm glad that Ledger's performance was already garnering acclaim prior to his death, although it was just from his peers and crew members on the set at the time. The word of mouth even then was that this was a role of a lifetime for him. And I'm quite glad that the actuality seems to be living up to the hype about his performance. I've been a Heath Ledger fan for some time, and will confess to owning one of the (probable) handful of copies of A Knight's Tale around. I was quite pleased with his performance in I'm Not There, which I saw a couple weeks ago.

I read an article about Dark Knight, and a comment made by Ang Lee, who was attending ShoWest, where a trailer for the film was being played. It said:

quote:
A few months ago, director Ang Lee heard Ledger hissing the line �Let�s put a smile on that face� as Lee walked through the ShoWest convention of theater owners. Lee initially did not recognize the voice until he looked at the screen.

�I couldn�t believe that was Heath,� Lee says. �He was such a different person, used such a different voice for �Brokeback Mountain.� It�s haunting, how much he disappeared into his characters. It wasn�t until I heard that, that I realized just how gifted he was with his voice.�

I've also read some James Dean comparisons, which somewhat make me wince. I hope that no one does with Ledger what was done to James Dean. Neither are larger than life, and I believe something gets lost about the real person when he or she is elevated to heights that the person couldn't possibly have reached in life. While that probably sounds cynical, I say it with the best intentions. Would James Dean or Marilyn Monroe have actually opted for screen legend status in lieu of fulfilling a lifetime of potential? I hope not. The death of Heath Ledger is tragic, and we all have lost something in his passing, but I'm sure he would have rather have "done this forever."

I've rather thought since his death that the nominations would happen, and possibly even the wins, come awards season. I'm just glad they appear to be well-founded.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  10:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When we went to see Iron Man there was a trailer for this. I've seen trailers before, and some clips, but this was the first time for my husband. He's also not much into superhero movies and only went to see IM for me (but he did like it, in the end). After seeing the trailer, he also decided we have to see this on the big screen. I just hope we find the time to get there as soon as it opens here.

Oscar or not, it looks amazing.

(Oh, and you do know that this isn't his last film, don't you? They are finishing the Dr. Parnassis movie as well, with his character being a kind of Doctor Who character who changes how he looks in each new thing he gets into.)
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  11:08:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

(Oh, and you do know that this isn't his last film, don't you? They are finishing the Dr. Parnassis movie as well, with his character being a kind of Doctor Who character who changes how he looks in each new thing he gets into.)

Actually it's apparently been decided by director Terry Gilliam that Ledger's co-stars take-over the role of the Dr. at various stages throughout the film. Should be very interesting. Depp, Law, and Farrell will each play Ledger's character in a different universe. Woof!

Go to Top of Page

silly 
"That rabbit's DYNAMITE."

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  05:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son and I saw this tonite, at a digital projection theater. It looked (and is) awesome, but there was a small period about an hour in where I found myself glancing at my watch and thinking "huh? Can we move along now?"

But in the blink of an eye it was past the two hour mark so no real complaints from me.

Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  22:59:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the single best superhero movie. This is the "Unforgiven" of superhero movies. I really wish I hadn't praised "Iron Man" so hard, because this film embarrasses it easily. It also embarrasses Tim Burton's "Batman." It even embarrasses "Batman Begins." I can't even find the words.

Edited by - MisterBadIdea on 07/20/2008 22:59:45
Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  23:22:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dark Knight

IMDB Top 250: #1

Edited by - thefoxboy on 07/20/2008 23:29:39
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  02:03:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All this hyper praise... it's going to crash spectacularly in my estimation if I hear any more... no more looking at this topic for me for a week or two.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  02:16:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefoxboy

Dark Knight

OK, so now I've only seen 249 of the IMDb Top 250...
Go to Top of Page

turrell 
"Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh "

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  06:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefoxboy

Dark Knight

It's likely to plummet after the hardcore fans from Friday and Saturday night wear out. I saw it and found it thoroughly interesting, but my wife found it to be a little too much especially when SPOILER alertTwo-face threatened to shoot the 7 year old in front of his family. I agree the ending was a bit long, but goodness was Ledger's performance exquisite - you can see how such a role - committed to so deeply - might drive a person a bit off the rails.

Edited by - turrell on 07/21/2008 06:21:21
Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  06:58:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turrell
It's likely to plummet after the hardcore fans from Friday and Saturday night wear out. I saw it and found it thoroughly interesting, but my wife found it to be a little too much especially when SPOILER alertTwo-face threatened to shoot the 7 year old in front of his family. I agree the ending was a bit long, but goodness was Ledger's performance exquisite - you can see how such a role - committed to so deeply - might drive a person a bit off the rails.

With a 3 day opening gross of +$155 million domestic and +$195 million worldwide, it can't crash, at least. I think a great many people will continue to go, some to be part of the hype, some to see Ledger's performance, and some because they are fans of the genre. Heck, it only needs another day or so to make a profit ($185 million budget).

When it was all said and done, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest grossed over $423 million domestic and over $1 billion worldwide. I think Dark Knight has miles to go before it sleeps.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  10:23:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think turrell meant that the IMDb score will plummet when the fanboys have all seen it and given it 10/10, and more discerning viewers see it a bit later and rate it against The Godfather and Citizen Kane etc. Movie scores have a habit of dropping quite quickly after their opening weekend.

IMO this movie will remain well-seated in the IMDb Top 250, and quite possibly in the top 50. There have been a hell of a lot of people scoring already, with most giving it 10/10 and many of those in the older age bracket.
Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  11:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
***Putting on her best Emily Litella costume***

Oh. Never mind.
Go to Top of Page

turrell 
"Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh "

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  17:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know almost nothing of Christian Bale's personal life but was very surprised to hear he had been arrested for assaulting his sister and mother: http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/22/bale.questioned.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview.

Is he really just the English Russell Crow?
Go to Top of Page

damalc 
"last watched: Sausage Party"

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  20:46:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

... or more Patrick Bateman than Bruce Wayne.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  20:59:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know almost nothing of Christian Bale's personal life but was very surprised to hear he had been arrested for assaulting his sister and mother: http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/22/bale.questioned.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview.

It does seem a little out of character. I mean, if he's always been like this, why would it be only now that his Mum and sis decided to take this to the police? If it's a first time thing, then I dunno... either he's on something or it's 34 years of Christmas arguments came to a head.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000