Space Chimps
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  17:22:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Space Chimps is harmless and passes the time engagingly while never quite knocking your socks off. Good things include some excellent voice work by a team that all know about perfect comic timing -- elevating a not-really-good-enough script to a higher level. The team-work is solid from ex-SNL Andy Samberg as Ham III, Cheryl Hines, Kristen Chenoweth, Jeff Daniels and Stanley Tucci among others.

Story's simple -- NASA's manned space program funding hangs in the balance so a probe is launched, but it gets sucked through a wormhole and onto a life-sustaining planet in a galaxy far far away. The Senator [Tucci] has to decide whether to pull the plug on the whole thing, or try to recover it.

The latter course is chosen, crewed by the space chimps who've been training in vain for years. It's how the four chimpanauts bond and develop as they encounter all the life-forms on the alient planet that holds the key to the tale.

It's all jolly enough and some very bright backgrounds and scary bits and dollops of cute sustain your inner-4-year-old along the way. I kept up on the journey, though found myself lagging a bit. But I bet real kids love it!

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  23:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, it's nothing out of the ordinary but is easy enough to watch and has a few great moments -- I liked the jellybaby people! And at least it makes the point that sending animals into space is NOT O.K.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000