R.I.P. W.D. Mohammed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  07:15:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was reluctant to start this thread, as some four-word obits can be harsh and, to some, unduly critical. But given that this man played a pivotal role in my development during my youth, I'll take the chance, as I would like to mourn and celebrate this great religious man.

Wallace D. Muhammad was the son of Elijah Muhammad, the founder of the Nation of Islam. That organization, in the 1940's through the early 1970's, was an organization devoted to empowering Black people and encouraging Black self reliance through a rigid practice of specific principles cast within a rubric of the religion of Islam. Unfortunately, the organization's expression of Islam was very far afield of orthodox Islam, and included such heretical beliefs as "all White people are the embodiment of the Devil." However, Elijah's organization appealed to many disempowered Blacks in America, who often labored under a general absence of higher education and to whom such tenets rang "believable," given the overwhelming degree to which Blacks faced unfair racial discrimination and government-sponsored violence. Elijah's organization gave birth to such outspoken civil rights leaders as Malcolm X and influenced leaders like Huey Newton of the Black Panthers, Eldridge Cleaver, and Stokely Carmichael. And it gave a voice to then Louis X of New York, also known as Louis Farrakhan.

I was raised in the Nation of Islam of that time. It was a rigid organization, setup in a paramilitary style, but without weapons. I was six years old when my family joined. My father was a captain, in charge of all of the Muslim men in the organization for the entire West Coast of the U.S. I was taught some empowering beliefs, and some horrendous beliefs. I sold bean pies, and the organization periodical "Muhammad Speaks" (founded by Malcolm X). And I dutifully followed the doctrine; except that I noted inconsistencies, as my youthful White friends seemed no more demonic that I was. That was a very ironic time for me.

In 1975, Elijah Muhammad died, and Wallace D. Muhammed was appointed his successor. Within a year, he changed the organization forever. Quickly, he dispelled the belief that all Whites were "the Devil" and taught that Muslim American Blacks must strive to cooperate with all other Americans and peoples of the world to support a world community of brotherhood and sisterhood. This was very traumatic for many, who had gained strength in the esoterica of the Nation of Islam. More importantly. Wallace disavowed all of the cultist teachings of his father and steered the flock toward orthodox Islam.

He then adopted the more Arabic name of Warith Deen and changed the spelling of his last name to Mohammed.

I don't have a personal anecdote about Mr. Mohammed, as I believe I met him once during a conference, but only briefly. What I do have is an immense amount of respect for his courage and his teaching of tolerance, love, and respect for all others.

May peace and blessings be bestowed upon him.

As Salaam Alaikum, Warith Deen.

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  10:51:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May his memory be a blessing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page