Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

bife 
"Winners never quit ... fwfr ... "

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  02:51:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

By the way, this thread is in the wrong section. Again.

You would put a discussion about the year's best films in a section other than Film Related; Films (which has a section description "Discuss current films, old films and films yet to come")?

Kinda looks ok to me.
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  03:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bife

quote:

You would put a discussion about the year's best films in a section other than Film Related; Films (which has a section description "Discuss current films, old films and films yet to come")?

Kinda looks ok to me.

I'd put it in Film Related > General. Given that there are two other sections within Film Related, it only really makes sense for individual films to be in this section. If this thread isn't general, what is? Discussions of techniques and genres without any mention of actual films?!
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  14:26:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's in the right place. I consider this specific part of the fourum the "talk about movies" part (be it big screen, DVD or TV) which is what a best of the year really is. "General" is well... for general concepts and ideas, like your remake debate - not specific. If this is where I'd write a review of a film I've recently seen, I'd use this same place to summarise my reviews to make a Top 10 too.

A few words about your choices: I think a 6 for "Boy in the Striped Pajamas" is extremely generous given how stupid an idea it was, and how lacklustre the script and acting from everyone was. Also I felt "Persepolis" was a disappointing and a little bit dull - certainly it bore no comparison for me to "Bashir" which was animated like the best dream you could ever have and powerful enough to shift perceptions. I didn't see "Juno" because the teen speak in the trailer made me want to vomit.
I also thought "Burn after Reading" and "Son of Rambo" less than the sum of their parts, but am interested to see some of the other films you recommend. Especially the highly rated foreign language films I missed like "4 Months" and "The Edge of Heaven".

Edited by - demonic on 01/06/2009 14:33:43
Go to Top of Page

bife 

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  14:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dem9nic

but am interested to see some of the other films you recommend. Especially the highly rated foreign language films I missed like "4 Months"

Been looking for this one for a while, not sure it is stocked in singapore

Edited by - bife on 01/06/2009 14:52:38
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  19:06:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

6/5
Dostana (2008): My second favourite film of all time, in which two of the very top Indian actors (in my own preference and by consensus) give hilarious performances as straight men pretending to be a gay couple. It's an important step forward for Bollywood. I wouldn't expect others here to like it as much as me, but I'd recommend if you've never seen a Bollywood film and fancy doing so. The leading actress is absolutely stunning too.
Pulp Fiction (1994): I first saw this in Kathmandu in 1995 and it's still as great as ever.
Juno (2007): I know some people didn't like it at all, but their main complaint is that Juno is not a typical teenager. I'll hang around on any street corner or back seat of a bus if I want to see those.
Persepolis (2007): I was blown away by the concept of an animated autobiography and the execution is just as good, as is the story and most importantly Satrapi's ability to give a balanced view of herself.
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (2008): Again, I know some people weren't much taken with this (especially if they'd read the book, which I haven't), but it left me shaking with sobs and so that's all I can say about that.

[...]

A complaint about this thread being in the wrong section sounds a little odd coming from someone who puts films from 1994 in his list of "Favorite Films of the Year (2008)."
Go to Top of Page

Airbolt 
"teil mann, teil maschine"

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  01:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The film that was the most surprising was "Iron Man ". It revived the superhero genre, gave it a much-needed funny bone, added a twist of screwball comedy and got the tone absolutely right. Also signalling the revival of a much screwed over career. Would have been 10/10 except for the CGI battle at the end which seemed to be ported in from a lesser film.

Possibly not the best film as such but it's the one I enjoyed the most. In the foreign market, there were a couple of interesting watches. The Chaser ( Korea ) was an interesting thriller with a very weary and unheroic ex-cop turned pimp on thr trail of a killer. The plot is tight but what is more pervasive is the seedy nobility of a worn out antihero who finds a shrivelled up shred of decency in his heart.

The Counterfeiters is extremely harrowing. Telling the story of a forger who ends up in a concentration camp. Without some of the overt horrors on screen, it manages to convey the terror of knowing that life is cheap.
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  05:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GHcool

A complaint about this thread being in the wrong section sounds a little odd coming from someone who puts films from 1994 in his list of "Favorite Films of the Year (2008)."

Not really.
quote:

I've roughly ordered every film that I saw at the cinema last year and gave 6/5 or 5/5.

Since you named the thread, but didn't define the parameters of your selection, I made my own parameters totally clear.
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  05:51:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Airbolt

The film that was the most surprising was "Iron Man ".

I gave that 5/5 but somehow left it out of my list. I'll add it once I've gone through and checked for other omissions.
quote:
The Counterfeiters is extremely harrowing.

Also 5/5 from me but I saw it in 2007.
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  06:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dem9nic

A few words about your choices: I think a 6 for "Boy in the Striped Pajamas" is extremely generous given how stupid an idea it was, and how lacklustre the script and acting from everyone was.

I can see its flaws rationally, but it had such a visceral effect on me that I have to judge it on that basis. It's a low 6/5, though, so may fade to 5/5.
quote:
Also I felt "Persepolis" was a disappointing and a little bit dull - certainly it bore no comparison for me to "Bashir" which was animated like the best dream you could ever have and powerful enough to shift perceptions.

The animations are just different styles, and I preferred that in Persepolis, but in both cases it is the concept of animating them that is particularly inspired. I certainly far prefer some of my dreams aesthetically to Waltz with Bahir, which I still thought was great. For interesting animation in itself last year I'd instead recommend Fear(s) of the Dark.
quote:
I also thought "Burn after Reading" and "Son of Rambo" less than the sum of their parts

Yup, those fall into the category of film in which certain features just fully satisfy me in a way that negates the need for anything else to be perfect. I don't think that's a phenomenon that happens to you so much.
quote:
am interested to see some of the other films you recommend. Especially the highly rated foreign language films I missed like "4 Months" and "The Edge of Heaven".

I'm pretty sure you'd like 4 Months... Harder to say with The Edge of Heaven: aspects of it might annoy you.

Edited by - Salopian on 01/11/2009 06:29:00
Go to Top of Page

rabid kazook 
"Pushing the antelope"

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  19:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GHcool

2. WALL E ("Meet WALL-E's sparks." - Alan Smithee)

Thanks for url-ing my review.
I disowned it after it wasn't very popular.

My favorites of the last year:
HAPPY-GO-LUCKY CJ7 ROCKNROLLA REDBELT

Edited by - rabid kazook on 01/12/2009 20:08:29
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  23:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Redbelt?! Wow!
Go to Top of Page

rabid kazook 
"Pushing the antelope"

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  11:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Redbelt?! Wow!

Yea, I thought the (already multiple times kvetched on) plot was structured in a remarkably interesting and fun way. I love Mamet's stuff.

Go to Top of Page

bife 

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  13:43:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rabid kazook

Almost rented CJ7 last week but it looked kinda corny, guess i'll give it a shot now
Go to Top of Page

rabid kazook 
"Pushing the antelope"

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  18:09:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bife

quote:
Originally posted by rabid kazook

Almost rented CJ7 last week but it looked kinda corny, guess i'll give it a shot now

It's very much a kids movie, so the more you're jolly with you childish-self the better. It is corny, yes, but I think Chow sets the movie in a smart way so that the most of the corny stuff is shaken off.

Go to Top of Page

MM0rkeleb 
"Better than HBO."

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  21:20:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't really have the drive to put up a whole list, since due to certain circumstances, most of the films I saw in theaters were Oscar bait (so I can have a rooting interest for Best Picture), and most of them were very closely clustered together in terms of how much I liked them. So I'll just mention my top film for 2008, which was:

Cloverfield

For what it was, perfectly executed. I'd go so far as to call it a minor masterpiece.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000