Page: of 2

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  02:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Se�n

quote:
Originally posted by bife

I found Fargo humdrum, didn't care for the story or the people, and it seemed to force form over substance. I tired quickly of the pseudo-dialogue (don't know if it was supposed to be 'realistic', i just found it annoying).
Not caring for the characters isn't a problem for me. E.g., Pulp Fiction,

Meant to note this way upthread, but don't you actually come to oddly "like" the two hitmen because of their recognizably banal conversations before they retrieve the briefcase and in the diner scene toward the end? I did. Whether or not he intended it this way, I took that to be the moral [or at least human] anchor Tarantino is throwing us before he stretches everything else beyond recognition. I desperately wanted there to be no gunplay in the diner -- mainly because I didn't want Sam Jackson hurt!
quote:

If you don't love Mozart's music then I can see it being very difficult to like Amadeus.

Absolutely right, and I overlooked this factor: if Mozart's music is adding to your boredom, bife, then AMADEUS won't stand a chance with you. To each his own and all, but the power of this piece absolutely depends upon your finding the music gorgeous.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  03:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randall

quote:
Originally posted by Se�n

quote:
Originally posted by bife

I found Fargo humdrum, didn't care for the story or the people, and it seemed to force form over substance. I tired quickly of the pseudo-dialogue (don't know if it was supposed to be 'realistic', i just found it annoying).
Not caring for the characters isn't a problem for me. E.g., Pulp Fiction,

Meant to note this way upthread, but don't you actually come to oddly "like" the two hitmen because of their recognizably banal conversations before they retrieve the briefcase and in the diner scene toward the end? I did. Whether or not he intended it this way, I took that to be the moral [or at least human] anchor Tarantino is throwing us before he stretches everything else beyond recognition. I desperately wanted there to be no gunplay in the diner -- mainly because I didn't want Sam Jackson hurt!
I know what you mean. I suppose that's the difference between 'liking' a character and 'caring about' a character. I found most characters in Pulp Fiction very interesting (in their own way), but I could not have cared less who got themselves killed on the way. Sure there was some kind of justice in that Sam Jackson got away at the end after giving up his hitman life (and that Travolta didn't), but it would have been equally fair if he'd walked out of the diner and was accidentally crushed by a falling grand piano, he still deserved whatever was coming to him. So I liked them but didn't care what happened to them, and I thought the same about Lock, Stock.... BTW, I also 'liked' Hopkins' Lecter but wouldn't have minded him getting what he deserved.... after having Dr Chilton for lunch of course.

I suppose bife may be saying that he didn't like any of the characters in Amadeus or care what happened to them either. It would be hard to like a movie under those circumstances.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000