Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  16:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Book of Eli

Contains spoilers:

Weird Bible-bashing version of The Road. Even more weirdly, it demonstrates the negative use of the Bible with almost no resolution. So what if the Bible the baddie gets is in Braille? One can still see Braille, and so only needs to know the characters in order to transcribe it! He's bound to know the opening passage, and so should be able to work out all of the characters readily.

3/5

Edited by - Salopian on 02/18/2010 00:37:10

Mr Savoir Faire 
"^ Click my name. "

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  23:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed this film. I really like the character trying to (spoiler) use the Bible for evil. I agree with the Braille thing. Even if he didn't know one passage (assuming there's an acknowledgment section or table of contents at the front), just by identifying the most common letter, he could assume it was 'e' and go from there. Also, you might want to put 'bible' in the spoilers section since it's not obvious to all what the 'book' they're looking for is.

I like how the Bible caused the town to be destroyed, validating the argument that the Bible was the cause for civilization to fall apart to begin with.

I think the reason he couldn't transcribe it is because he knew he had to get a passage fast, as his town was falling apart around him. Also, it is implied that his leg is infected, so he may not have much time to live.

I didn't quite understand why the two elderly cannibals helped Solara and Eli. I would have rather given up two strangers than take on a whole armored brigade.

I'm also not quite sure how Eli is blind and manages to do several things he shouldn't be able to like point guns accurately, or aim crossbows precisely, or know rats are in the room before they make a sound. (You could argue 'protection from God', but not likely since this movie is anti religion) Also, there are several shots of his eyes before the final one, in which they are not hazy. I realize that there is foreshadowing to this twist, but it's too much for me to handle. I just pretend he could see and that this part is not in the movie.
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  00:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Totally with you on your last paragraph. It's so patently ridiculous that that could be the case.
Go to Top of Page

damalc 
"last watched: Sausage Party"

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  17:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carnegie = Pat Robertson
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  22:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw this last night.

SPOILERS!

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Savoir Faire

I'm also not quite sure how Eli is blind and manages to do several things he shouldn't be able to like point guns accurately, or aim crossbows precisely, or know rats are in the room before they make a sound. (You could argue 'protection from God', but not likely since this movie is anti religion)

I'm not sure how this is supposed to be 'anti-religion'. Man of faith on a mission to save the bible for the future benefit of mankind. He survives against all odds (including fighting and killing eight armed attackers - while blind) as he has been given 'special powers' from... guess who? Society has disintegrated totally, and this could conceivably be related to the absence of religion. Extreme violence can be righteous if you're spreading the word of god (but only if you don't enjoy killing).

I saw this movie as nothing more than a justification for religious militarism.... as long as you're following the right god.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000