Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  22:42:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another in the defence for "Dark Star" - and for "Moon" too. Two great little low budget sci-fi's. But comparing them is a bit odd too - one being a intense character study of loneliness and self-examination (and an acting tour de force) the other a bonkers comedy. The best scene is of course when one of the astronauts tries to reason with a sentient (and depressed) nuclear weapon not to blow itself up.
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  22:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by damalc

"Piranha 3D" (2010), just from the previews, is looking like it will be in this discussion.

The trailer does look awesomely shit, but I've been perplexed to read some good review for this- perhaps it's the fan boys taking over the newspapers, but word seems to be it's not that bad. I think I'll reserve judgement for the time being and save my cash... the sight of piranhas "roaring" underwater brought to mind the roaring shark of "Jaws the Revenge", and that was utter bollocks.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  00:34:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

... the sight of piranhas "roaring" underwater brought to mind the roaring shark of "Jaws the Revenge", and that was utter bollocks.

Can't be worse than the screaming snake in Anaconda.
Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  00:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Se�n

quote:

... the sight of piranhas "roaring" underwater brought to mind the roaring shark of "Jaws the Revenge", and that was utter bollocks.

Can't be worse than the screaming snake in Anaconda.

I forgot about that snake!! It DID scream!!! Oh btw, say happy birthday, wildheartlivie.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  00:41:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Blevins

... The Blob, which -- by the way -- is another favorite of mine.

Which version of The Blob, the 1958 or 1988? BTW there's a remake of a remake in progress, scheduled for release next year...

Edited by - Sean on 08/26/2010 00:42:35
Go to Top of Page

Stalean 
"Back...OMG"

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  05:36:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was something very wrong about "Mr. Wrong" with Ellen DeGeneres and Bill Pullman. I still haven't gotten over this bad film experience. I know I've seen worse--no I can't think of any.
Go to Top of Page

Improper Username 
"inappropriately amused"

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  07:32:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Another in the defence for "Dark Star" - and for "Moon" too. Two great little low budget sci-fi's. But comparing them is a bit odd too - one being a intense character study of loneliness and self-examination (and an acting tour de force) the other a bonkers comedy. The best scene is of course when one of the astronauts tries to reason with a sentient (and depressed) nuclear weapon not to blow itself up.

My son and I liked Moon very much also. I have come to regard Sam Rockwell as one of the most interesting actors, with regard to his roles.

quote:
Originally posted by Stalean

There was something very wrong about "Mr. Wrong" with Ellen DeGeneres and Bill Pullman.

The very thought is off-putting.
Go to Top of Page

rabid kazook 
"Pushing the antelope"

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  19:42:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Another in the defence for "Dark Star" - and for "Moon" too. Two great little low budget sci-fi's. But comparing them is a bit odd too
- one being a intense character study of loneliness and self-examination (and an acting tour de force) the other a bonkers comedy.

It's mostly my grumble that when S.Rockwell does that gumpy thing with his mouth I can't find him very serious - hence that I found Moon a bit humorous. I even chuckle when the psychotic clowns chase him in Clownhouse.

I'm not saying that it's a bad movie, but (for me) rather unimportant.
Immensely love the movie poster though.

Go to Top of Page

Beanmimo 
"August review site"

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  01:15:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rabid kazook

Immensely love the movie poster though.

This reminds me of Benjamin Buttom which left me considerably underwhelmed but I do have a small version of the poster on my fridge.

Edited by - Beanmimo on 08/27/2010 01:15:30
Go to Top of Page

rabid kazook 
"Pushing the antelope"

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  21:58:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beanmimo

This reminds me of Benjamin Buttom which left me considerably underwhelmed but I do have a small version of the poster on my fridge.

Funny you mention that...
I've recently got excited by the trailer for M. Winterbottom's Killer Inside Me. It really looked great. I realized it's a book (by J.Thompson) and 'went on to read it. As I was going through the book, movie trailer painted the story imagery in my mind. Casey A. as Lou Ford, setting, beautiful cinematography, I soaked it all up. I really liked the book.

Than a few days ago I saw Winterbottom's film, and puff, exactly, I found it to be very weak. Too bad really I quite wanted to like it.

And ofcourse that I found that movie's poster one of the years best.

Go to Top of Page

ragingfluff 
"Currently lost in Canada"

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  16:39:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BiggerBoat

quote:
Originally posted by ragingfluff

"They Live" which is so bad it's good ... has the longest, most drawn out fight ever filmed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsZpdUUdd3I

Ha ha! Yeah, I saw this again not long ago, and not only is the fight long and drawn out, but is so incongruous to the story - they were buddies, to a degree. The guy who played the lead had been a wrestler in real life, and it was almost like there must have been something in his contract to say that there had to be a fight scene in there somewhere.

All very stilted,shit John Carpenter synth soundtrack, but a great plot.

yes, Rowdy Roddy Piper .... and yes, the film has some funny moments and has what could have been a very interesting satire on corporate marketing if it wasn't wrapped up in a story so bad it's laughable. For a very funny piss-take on Rowdy Roddy Piper and the rest of the WWF crowd, see if you can catch the Robot Chicken skit that reimagines "Hogan's Heroes"

Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  21:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to the Silent Movie Theater's monthly "5 Minute Game" in which the first five minutes of 12 of the worst films ever made are shown. The audience then votes on which film to watch in its entirety. The film chosen was Ben & Arthur. I saw The Room and at the time thought it was the worst of the worst. I think Ben & Arthur tops it. We had a blast.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 09/16/2010 :  11:36:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GHcool

I went to the Silent Movie Theater's monthly "5 Minute Game" in which the first five minutes of 12 of the worst films ever made are shown. The audience then votes on which film to watch in its entirety. The film chosen was Ben & Arthur. I saw The Room and at the time thought it was the worst of the worst. I think Ben & Arthur tops it. We had a blast.

Some movies, like MANOS, THE HANDS OF FATE, just make you squirm because they're boring. THE ROOM actually has some entertainment value, not for incompetence's sake, but because of its utter, pervasive strangeness. As the Harper's article put it, it's the movie that an alien who has never seen a movie would make after having had movies thoroughly explained to him.
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Posted - 09/16/2010 :  21:37:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by randall

quote:
Originally posted by GHcool

Some movies, like MANOS, THE HANDS OF FATE, just make you squirm because they're boring. THE ROOM actually has some entertainment value, not for incompetence's sake, but because of its utter, pervasive strangeness. As the Harper's article put it, it's the movie that an alien who has never seen a movie would make after having had movies thoroughly explained to him.

Yeah, Ben & Arthur doesn't approach the other-worldliness that The Room does, but it isn't boring like Manos either. I'm guessing the filmmaker of Ben & Arthur is not unlike Ed Wood in terms of the mixture of arrogance and incompetence.
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 09/17/2010 :  01:34:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something for those who've seen "The Room" - a very enjoyable waste of time:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/547307
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly