Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  00:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 25 Most Disturbing Movies Ever

An interesting batch. Some omissions, and some I don't think belong but I can see the point in most of those being on the list. Some I haven't seen, so naturally I've added them to my watch-list. A few aren't available in NZ so I guess I'll have to download...

Anyway, here's the list for those who don't want to flick through:-

Antichrist (2009)
Blue Velvet (1986)
Shivers (1975)
Martyrs (2008)
Man Bites Dog (1992)
Begotten (1991)
Aftermath (1994)
The Human Centipede (2010)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Flowers of Flesh and Blood (1985)
The Last House On The Left (1972)
Irr�versible (2002)
Nekromantik (1987)
Men Behind The Sun (1988)
I Spit On Your Grave (1978)
Happiness (1998)
Funny Games (1997)
Visitor Q (2001)
Sal�, or 120 Days Of Sodom (1975)
Cannibal Holocaust (1980)
In A Glass Cage (1987)
Eraserhead (1977)
Audition (1999)
Threads (1984)
The Exorcist (1973)

Conan The Westy 
"Father, Faithful Friend, Fwiffer"

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  11:09:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No "Caligula" or "Dude Where's My Car?"
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  16:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything movie on that list that I've seen deserves to be on that list.
Go to Top of Page

damalc 
"last watched: Sausage Party"

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  17:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think "Martyrs" and "Irreversible" are probably the champs of that list for me, of the 10 that i know i've seen. i can't remember if i've seen "I Spit On Your Grave" or not, but i imagine i'd remember if i did.
i'm a little surprised "Psycho" didn't make it. i bet people started keeping guns in their showers over that film.
"Blue Velvet"? not that disturbing to me, just weird. i know that i don't get Lynch.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  19:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Missing: IN THE REALM OF THE SENSES, for final sequence.
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  03:05:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I read the title of the thread I expected to see a fair few of these on the list: The Exorcist, Last House on the Left, Irreversible, Audition, I Spit On Your Grave, Antichrist and Salo. I think the final scene of Audition is one of the hardest to endure I've ever watched - it really got under my skin (no pun intended). Slightly bemused by Blue Velvet and Eraserhead; they're not disturbing to me, at least not in the same way - they're more like unsettling dreams.

Happiness is a strange addition too - I guess it's there for the paedophile story line and how it makes for uncomfortable viewing, as well as being quite comical which adds to the squirm factor. But disturbing? Not sure about that. I was working in a one screen art house cinema in London when that film came out and it was a definite highlight of my time there; lots of walk outs.

There's a few from the 80s and 90s I've never heard of - will be interested to see what they turn out to be with further research.

I read the other day that they are in the process of remaking "I Spit On Your Grave". Talk about scraping the bottom of the horror barrel. Could there be a more pointless exercise imaginable?
Go to Top of Page

zeike 
"High concept cinema poet"

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  09:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they forgot Catwoman....brrr the thought still makes me shudder

Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  14:59:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No 'Flowers in the Attic'?

Go to Top of Page

ragingfluff 
"Currently lost in Canada"

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  22:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

I read the other day that they are in the process of remaking "I Spit On Your Grave". Talk about scraping the bottom of the horror barrel. Could there be a more pointless exercise imaginable?

agreed... they did a remake of "Last House on the Left" too

Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  13:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes indeed, which was itself Wes Craven's attempt at an Ingmar Bergman - a bizarre idea in the first place. Remakes of remakes... How long will we have to wait before we get remakes of remakes of remakes?
Go to Top of Page

damalc 
"last watched: Sausage Party"

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  14:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

Yes indeed, which was itself Wes Craven's attempt at an Ingmar Bergman - a bizarre idea in the first place. Remakes of remakes... How long will we have to wait before we get remakes of remakes of remakes?

u mean like the Punisher movies?
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  15:52:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hard to call them remakes as there are just derived from the same source material - not the same script. Same would apply to the Batman or Superman movies.
Go to Top of Page

Improper Username 
"inappropriately amused"

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  05:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if "disturbing" here is supposed to mean "bad" or "thought provoking." Here are three of the latter:

The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane

Lawn Dogs

Prisoner of Paradise
Go to Top of Page

Rovark 
"Luck-pushing, rule-bending, chance-taking reviewer"

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  12:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

A strange selection. Perhaps the fact that I wasn't in the least bit disturbed by many of the ones I've seen, says more about me that I should admit
By disturbing, I'm asuming they mean it plays on your mind for time time after the actual viewing experience.

Blue Velvet - not disturbing, Man Bites Dog - it's a comedy (jet-black but funny none the less), Happiness, Eraserhead, Clockwork Orange, no. Even The Exorcist wasn't disturbing for me as I could compartmentalise it into 'Horror'

One I would add to the list - The Baby Of Macon. It left a nasty taste in the mouth for weeks, months after. I couldn't watch it again.

Oh and another disturbing film for me personnally, Blair Witch, pricipally because I'm out walking the dogs at 6:30 in the morning and walking alone through the woods at that time of the day at that time of the year (It came out in November) spooked me for weeks after.
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  13:37:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess it means films that have the power to shock and stick in the mind. That definitely applies to the torture at the end of "Audition" for me. I think "The Exorcist" should definitely be considered as a bolt out of the blue in the early 70s - seeing a rather sweet young girl transforming into that hideous creature was, and still is excusing some of the more flamboyant make-up effects, shocking. I'd forgotten about "The Baby of Macon" - you're absolutely right, that really is a disturbing movie.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  23:56:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
The Baby Of Macon
Lawn Dogs

all added to my watch list.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic