Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  02:03:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just seen David Lynch's new film at the NYFF. While I think it's in general an off day for the maestro, yet still quite Lynchian [ask me about the rabbit-headed "sitcom" stars -- yes, I did say rabbit-headed -- who spout non sequiturs to a wildly hooting canned laugh track], it is especially interesting in that it's Lynch's first film to be shot digitally [it was transferred to film for projection]. At the q&a afterward, he was effusive about the many delights of this new digital world for filmmakers.

Also making INLAND EMPIRE unique is that this three-hour film was written and shot scene by scene. In other words, the filmmaker and actors had to develop context as the [two-year] shoot went along.

I think it's for Lynch fans only...for anybody who thought MULHOLLAND DR. was hard to comprehend, this one makes it look like a Dickens novel. But if you admire those disturbing Lynch touches, if you enjoy watching a filmmaker who never wears seat belts, there's enough to talk about for hours afterwards.

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  02:50:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't wait. I'm a big fan of Lynch.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Blevins 
"Don't I look handsome?"

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  03:35:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm waiting for Inland Empire, too, but I'm deliberately avoiding reading stuff about it because I don't want to know too much beforehand. So why'd I click on this thread, anyway? Curiosity got the best of me, I guess. But I won't be reading any reviews beforehand, that's for sure. Personally, I like it when his films leave a lot of unanswered questions. The best description I've ever read of his films is that they're like jigsaw puzzles in which we're either given too many pieces or not enough. (I'm not sure if that was meant as a compliment or a complaint, but it fits him.) I'm a little queasy about the digital video, since his images tend to have an almost tactile, sensual quality and I don't know how DV will convey that.

Seems like several of my "hero" directors have new movies this fall. I loved Scorsese's new one, but was disappointed by De Palma's latest. I'll adopt a wait-and-see policy for Lynch, but I've enjoyed his last few so my hopes are high.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  09:10:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randall

Also making INLAND EMPIRE unique is that this three-hour film was written and shot scene by scene. In other words, the filmmaker and actors had to develop context as the [two-year] shoot went along.

I think it's for Lynch fans only...for anybody who thought MULHOLLAND DR. was hard to comprehend, this one makes it look like a Dickens novel. But if you admire those disturbing Lynch touches, if you enjoy watching a filmmaker who never wears seat belts, there's enough to talk about for hours afterwards.

I'm eagerly looking forward to this; DL is always good eye/brain value. I'm surprised more people didn't realize that the two women in Mulholland Drive were aspects of the same person. This isn't exactly a new literary/story-telling device and recent cinema examples include Fight Club and the Gollum/Sm�agol character. Lynch follows in the Dali/Bunuel tradition of externalizing the inner life complexities in order better to understand them. His genius -- flawed, but undeniable -- is his ability to make the process visually arresting, and, if we're lucky, very amusing. He's in the contemporary ring, imho, with Carpenter and Cronenberg et al. I suppose there's an interesting discussion to be had/and no doubt PhD theses to be written! about the semiology of fantasy, sci-fi, horror movies. And, another interesting social phenomenon is that in times of socio-political dis-ease, story-tellers are more likely to turn to genre fiction [and/or humor]in order to deal with the effects in a more populist way.

Do you think those rabbit-headed sit-com stars in Inland Empire might fall into that category? Gosh, I've just realized as I typed the title what a potent and ambiguous statement it is in itself.

Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  12:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Blevins

I'm waiting for Inland Empire, too, but I'm deliberately avoiding reading stuff about it because I don't want to know too much beforehand.

Yeah, a lot of people feel that way, which is why I tried to keep it as vague as possible [with one bunnified exception].

Don't worry about the DV. The images look great.

Edited by - randall on 10/10/2006 12:10:13
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  21:48:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read in ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY that David Lynch has acquired the domestic distribution rights to INLAND EMPIRE. "He will likely self-distribute, with help from yet-to-be-determined partners." BB, know anybody in the UK whom Lynch should call?
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  23:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just read in ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY that David Lynch has acquired the domestic distribution rights to INLAND EMPIRE. "He will likely self-distribute, with help from yet-to-be-determined partners." BB, know anybody in the UK whom Lynch should call?

Well, I'm sure he'll already know the main ones. Ever since Rank lost its oomph a few years ago, the indie distribution scene has taken a blow. Most of them partner early with production houses like BBC Films or Channel4, or with indie and mainstream exhibition chains like City Screen. Distribution pick-ups are rarer when there's no prior involvement, but companies like Revolver, Working Title, Redbus [RFD]and Entertainment Film Distributors are very successful.

Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  02:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evidently there are several international entities involved, with Studio Canal the titular world distributor [it's their logo you see first; I assume this is from whom Lynch acquired US distro rights]. But no UK per se yet.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  20:47:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I note that the DVD will be available, in the US at least, on August 14. Though there were some art-house screenings around the country, evidently Mr. Lynch was unable to find a wider US distributor.
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  21:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meh...David Lynch's work is like caviar.

I've always suspected that even the people that claim to love it can't stand it, they just don't want to admit it.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  22:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Downtown

Meh...David Lynch's work is like caviar.

I've always suspected that even the people that claim to love it can't stand it, they just don't want to admit it.

Son, I sat through the three hours of this one, and there was plenty of dreck therein, point taken. But nobody else leads me on such a ride! I can't recommend Lynch to anyone I don't know, and in about 25 wds. you have indicated to me that you should probably stay away. Fair enough.

But kindly refrain from imputing your own taste onto mine. The mass tension and release in that screening, the audience being played by Lynch like a musical instrument, even among a too-long piece, was as thrilling as a ride on a roller coaster. The lack of a US distributor proves that, like you, most folks don't dig it. Again, fair enough.

But please don't diss the folks who do dig it, or at least keep their eyes open while Lynch serves. They may be seeing something you aren't. Because fine caviar, spun atop a toast point, with chopped onion and egg on the side, aided by deeply frozen vodka, is one of Earth's great pleasures. At least for me, and for the others who think that's so...

Edited by - randall on 06/25/2007 22:26:47
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  23:58:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I say the Empire has no clothes

(Sorry, but that one amused me too much to resist the temptation. I just crack myself up sometimes. Feel free to make any rebuke you feel it deserves)
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  00:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Downtown

Well I say the Empire has no clothes

(Sorry, but that one amused me too much to resist the temptation. I just crack myself up sometimes. Feel free to make any rebuke you feel it deserves)

Haw haw haw...enjoy yerself -- always!
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  01:39:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll definitely be seeing it, I'm a mega-Lynch fan. I like having to work at a movie while I'm watching it. Nothing grabs my attention like a movie that's only barely comprehensible.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  07:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Evidently there are several international entities involved, with Studio Canal the titular world distributor [it's their logo you see first; I assume this is from whom Lynch acquired US distro rights]. But no UK per se yet.

It was released in the UK - March 9, per IMDb. And in Israel it came out early April. Didn't see it, though, since it wasn't highly advertised. It should be coming on TV soon after the DVD comes out, so I'll wait.

Edited by - ChocolateLady on 06/26/2007 07:10:09
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  08:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

It was released in the UK - March 9, per IMDb.

I think it only got a teensy release here to qualify for awards. It never went on general release ... I hope it does, but somehow I doubt it. It may appear at one of those Directors Chair screenings, or I might have to wait till BAFTA sends out DVDs for voting. I, too, am a big DL fan!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000