Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  09:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw this at Cineworld on Haymarket. Cannot go so far as to say I really enjoyed it, but there were some brilliant moments.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  12:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Se�n

I'll definitely be seeing it, I'm a mega-Lynch fan. I like having to work at a movie while I'm watching it. Nothing grabs my attention like a movie that's only barely comprehensible.

How'd you like LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD?
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  13:41:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randall

quote:

I'll definitely be seeing it, I'm a mega-Lynch fan. I like having to work at a movie while I'm watching it. Nothing grabs my attention like a movie that's only barely comprehensible.

It's now on my "movies to try and find but not get my hopes up" list. Remember I live on an island at the bottom of the South Pacific...

Try Black Moon if you haven't had the pleasure. The low rating at IMDb I'd guess is because few understood it (confirmed by a perusal through the board). I understood it, loved it and gave it a 9.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  13:46:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

It's now on my "movies to try and find but not get my hopes up" list. Remember I live on an island at the bottom of the South Pacific...

Try Black Moon if you haven't had the pleasure. The low rating at IMDb I'd guess is because few understood it (confirmed by a perusal through the board). I understood it, loved it and gave it a 9.

That's good enough for me. Will do!

You should be able to find LAST YEAR, assuming there's at least a WICKER MAN-sized village nearby. It's one of those "all-time classic beard-scratchers," well worth the screening time. Try to watch it with a friend so you can argue afterwards.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  02:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

OK, I found it and watched it last night. All I can say is .

I certainly enjoyed it, even though I didn't know what was going on half the time. I'll definitely be watching it again before I send the DVD back, and I think I might read some analyses of it before the next viewing.

I'd rate it alongside Mulholland Drive in first-viewing comprehensibility. I recall reading a good six-page analysis of Mulholland immediately after viewing, and it made a lot more sense the next time round.

Randall, did you ever find Black Moon?
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  09:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I certainly enjoyed it, even though I didn't know what was going on half the time. I'll definitely be watching it again before I send the DVD back, and I think I might read some analyses of it before the next viewing.

I'd rate it alongside Mulholland Drive in first-viewing comprehensibility. I recall reading a good six-page analysis of Mulholland immediately after viewing, and it made a lot more sense the next time round.

I think it's exactly one of those films. When it was first released and I saw it with some Village mates - and we all spoke college French - I loved it. When I saw it again in my 30s I found it slow and repetitive. When I saw it at a French retrospective when I was a critic, I did see some flaws, but concluded it was the work of someone who is passionate about cinema and a meticulous craftsman.

After all three viewings I was intrigued by the Match Game ... and at one point was able to demonstrate it to pals.

Same film -- guess who changed between viewings?!!!

Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  16:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

OK, I found it and watched it last night. All I can say is .

No! Netflix doesn't have it, nor the local video store. It is at the TOP of my list now, but it'll be a struggle.

When you watch LAST YEAR, there's no telling what your reaction will be. I take no offense at all if you just hate it. But it was probably the single best cinematic conversation-starter of my youth, especially among certain film-school lovelies whose discourse eventually led to another course...

Edited by - randall on 08/12/2007 16:06:48
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

Posted - 08/18/2007 :  05:56:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Sean

No! Netflix doesn't have it, nor the local video store. It is at the TOP of my list now, but it'll be a struggle.
Ah that's a shame. I checked a few other online renters in NZ and they all have it. Amazon has a couple of second hand ones for sale but are Region 4 PAL. I'd say that this movie has never been made NTSC Region 1. Shame.

BTW, like those who've commented at IMDb, the three reviewers on Amazon didn't understand it either.

Edited by - Sean on 08/18/2007 05:58:07
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  22:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw INLAND EMPIRE again on DVD today. It made more sense the second time through. Not all sense, mind. But, as before, I couldn't keep my eyes off the thing. Lynch is definitely something, I just don't know what that something is.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000