Page: of 7

benj clews 
"...."

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  10:16:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Se�n

quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

Um... when's the NZ confourence planned? (Sorry- couldn't find any other info about it )
Ermmm.... whenever you want it. Cheese_Ed is here in November, so that one will either be the first or the second NZ confourence depending on whether you pass through Nelson or not on in the next couple of weeks. So the first NZ confourence will be sometime in the next couple of weeks I'd guess, that's up to you mostly. Invited to that confourence are:-

benj
Sean

and any other fwfrers who'll be in the vicinity at the time, i.e, probably none. So, let me know if/when you'll be anywhere in the Nelson region and I'd be real keen to catch up. That's assuming you want to meet the fwfrer who's furthest away from the fwfr server.

Ah... I see! Well, in that case I'm definitelt up for it, especially if it means I get another first under my belt (first British, first transatlantic and now first NZ confourence (I'm guessing JTC beat me to the first opposite-side-of-the-world meet up)).

I'll let you know when I'll be in Nelson.

Meanwhile... anyone gonna' be in Sydney airport 6.30am on the 1st August?
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  23:26:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to NZ, benj!

I hope the weather improves a bit. July was a wild month, storms, floods, tornadoes, hoar frost etc. Nobody knew what was gonna happen next.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  23:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Welcome to NZ, benj!

I hope the weather improves a bit. July was a wild month, storms, floods, tornadoes, hoar frost etc. Nobody knew what was gonna happen next.

Actually, the weather here feels like being back home... except it's actually warmer here
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  08:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Welcome to NZ, benj!

Actually, the weather here feels like being back home... except it's actually warmer here
Yeah, far too warm. It's melting the tiny bit of snow that we got on the skifields. Not too bad in Queenstown, but crapola in Nelson and Canterbury. Looks like another wipeout of a ski season.

I'm booked up on Monday evening (6th) but other than that should be free to catch up any time you pass through or near Nelson (hopefully you will), even at short notice.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  10:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm booked up on Monday evening (6th) but other than that should be free to catch up any time you pass through or near Nelson (hopefully you will), even at short notice.

May be sooner than you think. There's been a family emergency and we're going to start heading back quicker than planned We'll not have any chance to check out NZ's sights but as some kind of compromise plan to bus or train or something up the country. More details on when we'll be near/ at Nelson when we've checked transport.

UPDATE: We'll be getting in to Nelson on Sunday afternoon. Nothing planned beyond that yet.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  11:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

May be sooner than you think. There's been a family emergency and we're going to start heading back quicker than planned

I'm so sorry to hear that benj -- you and Lisa have my very best wishes that everything will be all right.

Go to Top of Page

Sean 

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  12:12:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

May be sooner than you think. There's been a family emergency and we're going to start heading back quicker than planned We'll not have any chance to check out NZ's sights but as some kind of compromise plan to bus or train or something up the country. More details on when we'll be near/ at Nelson when we've checked transport.

UPDATE: We'll be getting in to Nelson on Sunday afternoon. Nothing planned beyond that yet.
Oh no. Sorry to hear that.

Ok, I just emailed my contact details.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  04:00:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Inaugural South Pacific fwfr Confourence coming up in a couple of hours. Will report back later.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  07:55:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Inaugural South Pacific fwfr Confourence coming up in a couple of hours. Will report back later.

Yes, do. With pictures, please!
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  13:53:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

quote:

Yes, do. With pictures, please!
Well the 7+ hour long South Pacific fwfr Confourence has concluded and was most enjoyable. It began at 5pm in the Vic Rose with beers plus pub-grub, then when we were kicked out at about 10.30pm (Sunday night here) it moved to another joint for continued consumption of ales. Then it finished about 10 minutes ago at 12.30am.

That's all you're going to get for today. I'll report in full tomorrow after a night's sleep and will add pics once I've done the red-eye reduction etc. Night all.

Edit: OK, I'm back. Well, I suppose there's not much more to say. Benj and Lisa turned up in Nelson yesterday afternoon, we arranged to meet at my favourite watering hole. It was a bit quiet in town as Nelson tends to go to sleep for the winter, it's definitely a summer town. It was also a Sunday night. Anyway, we arranged to meet at 5pm with fingers crossed that one would recognise the other. I had a look at benj's pics in the fwfr group at Facebook so had a reasonable idea what he might look like. I also told him by email that if I couldn't find him I'd wander around the bar with a penguin on my head to be somewhat more recognisable. Anyway, the penguin wasn't needed (at that stage) as I opened the door of the bar and recognised benj immediately, with his wife Lisa.

So, a few ales were consumed, along with a Sunday roast followed by chocolatey banana cake. So what did we talk about? That's a secret. Although I'll let it slip that benj is going to give all of thefoxboy's reviews to Alan Smithee when he gets back home.

We got chucked out eventually (bar was closing) and ended up at the only place in town that opens late on a winter Sunday for a couple more ales. And that was the inaugural NZ Confourence.

As I was expecting, Benj is a top bloke, and I had also guessed that Lisa is a top chick, and she most certainly is. A good time was had by all. Hopefully some of the USA fwfrers will catch up with them on their way back home.

Best of luck Benj and Lisa on the rest of your honeymoon. You're totally welcome back in Nelson any time you want.

I've put one pic on Facebook, there's also a photo of the three of us in benj's camera which may find it's way onto Facebook at some stage.

Edited by - Sean on 08/06/2007 02:30:33
Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  06:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://members.iinet.net.au/~thefoxboy/FWFR/TosserandBenj.jpg
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  08:31:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefoxboy

http://members.iinet.net.au/~thefoxboy/FWFR/TosserandBenj.jpg

Thanks for that picture posting, tfb -- I'm grateful as a non-Facebooker to share in the fun.

Marriage clearly agrees with benj!As to that other gentleman -- no wonder he's a penguin obsessive ... isn't that a tiny bird growing out of the side of his head?!

Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  11:57:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

I'm grateful as a non-Facebooker to share in the fun.

Ditto.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  09:27:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'm finally back at a PC (currently in Auckland) after spending a few days travelling up the north island of NZ via my relatives.

Anyway, after having spent 7 hours in the company of Sean I can safely say he's not half as scary as he looks on that picture and that he knows far more about glaciers, gold prospecting and the local amenities of Nelson than is surely healthy. I'm still in two minds about Sean's argument for the infallibility of the top 250 IMDB films mind, but I'll let that slide until I get home and check it out in more detail. Sadly, the YHA seem to have crippled their PCs and it's next to impossible to do anything approaching usefulness on them so my picture upload will have to wait (not that Sean's expression changes one iota on them mind ).

Tomorrow we fly out to LA and I don't know if any FWFRers will be around between the 11th and 13th, but I'd love to meet up to describe what a tosser Sean is for an impromptu FWFR gathering if possible. Let me know anyway- sorry for the short notice on this
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  23:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyway, after having spent 7 hours in the company of Sean I can safely say he's not half as scary as he looks on that picture
That's my "photo" look. It never changes.
quote:
I'm still in two minds about Sean's argument for the infallibility of the top 250 IMDB films
Ten to go.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000