Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Return to my fwfr
Frequently Asked Questions Click for advanced search
 All Forums
 Off-Topic
 General
 Dancing with the Stars - Apolo & Julianne win!!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  01:26:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am usually the first person to stand up and say what a media hype the reality shows are. And I usually hate them. One reason is the comments from our friend John, who says that reality shows are killing work opportunities for the character actors who aren't well known.

But I must confess, I do have a guilty pleasure this year - Dancing with the Stars. The dancing is at a level I've never seen on these shows that pit celebrities with professional dancers. This year has had some interesting celebrities - Heather Mills, Laila Ali (Muhammed's daughter, the boxer), Apolo Anton Ohno (Olympic speed skating medalist), Joey Fatone, Billy Ray Cyrus, John Ratzenberger, Clyde Drexler (basketball player - yeah, how odd). The finals are tonight, with the results tomorrow night and include Ohno, Fatone and Ali. Any of them could win, any of them deserve to win - and they have really raised my early week television expectations.

Personally, I'm rooting for Ohno.

Edited by - w22dheartlivie on 05/23/2007 03:59:15

Stalean 
"Back...OMG"

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  01:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm rooting for Ohno, too!
Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  01:52:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw some footage and hype about Mills, did her leg ever fall off? That would have been funny.
Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  01:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Nope, her leg stayed on admirably and she was surprisingly elegant and light on her feet foot.
Go to Top of Page

Stalean 
"Back...OMG"

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  02:10:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She did quite well until she made her partner wax off his chest hair (which they showed on television)! Her sadistic side showed just a tad too much--I'm pretty sure she was off the next week.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  06:07:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard about this show in the USA. Isn't it a rip-off of the British "Strictly Come Dancing"? I loved watching that - and who would have thought that cricketers could learn to ballroom dance?

Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  07:30:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's based on Strictly Come Dancing, which debuted in October 2004, and Dancing with the Stars debuted in June 2005. Judges for both shows include Len Goodman and Bruno Tonioli. It's a fascinating concept. Boxers, basketball players, speed skaters, actors, vegetarian/animal rights activists, and football players (Emmett Smith won the competition last year).
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  08:22:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wildhartlivie

It's based on Strictly Come Dancing, which debuted in October 2004, and Dancing with the Stars debuted in June 2005. Judges for both shows include Len Goodman and Bruno Tonioli. It's a fascinating concept. Boxers, basketball players, speed skaters, actors, vegetarian/animal rights activists, and football players (Emmett Smith won the competition last year).

I didn't know the US one had some of the same judges as well. That worked for Simon Cowell, so I guess they weren't worried that it would work for Len and Bruno!

(Does the US version have an old MC who makes bad jokes too?)
Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  08:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the impression that the same people who started the UK version also started the US one, as well as franchised shows around the globe. The US one doesn't have an old guy making bad jokes, it has Tom Bergeron who hosted America's Funniest Home Videos (where he made MANY bad jokes) and a lovely young woman named Samantha Harris. I read where Bergeron is possibly being considered to replace Bob Barker, who is retiring, on The Price Is Right.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  09:42:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have the impression that the same people who started the UK version also started the US one, as well as franchised shows around the globe. The US one doesn't have an old guy making bad jokes, it has Tom Bergeron who hosted America's Funniest Home Videos (where he made MANY bad jokes) and a lovely young woman named Samantha Harris.

I don't know if it is the same people who started it, but if it is, they're horribly busy because this show is all over the world now. We've just finished our third season here in Israel.

But the one talent contest that I don't see has been copied is our "Here Come the Comedians" show. That was more like Fame Academy with all the hopefull stand-ups living in the same house during the competition until they were voted off.

Another talent contest we invented here is Uri Geller's "The Heir" where we looked for someone with his type of talents. I doubt anyone but Geller can do that elsewhere.
Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  19:35:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, the US has a show that premiered in 2003 called Last Comic Standing. It's a summer season show entering its 5th season that fairly much follows that premise, though it has had its share of controversy.
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  19:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am also rooting for Apollo. HE can dance. His partner isnt half bad either. I just loved his free-style.

Past winners of the show are

Season 1 - Kelly Monaco (Soap Opera Actress , Only Female to win so far)
Season 2 - Drew Lachey (98 degrees member, Jessica Simpson's ex bro-in-law)
Season 3 - Emmit Smith (Pro-Football player)
Season 4 - Apolo Anton Ohno (Gold Medalist Olympic Speed Skater)

Edited by - TitanPa on 05/23/2007 04:01:57
Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  19:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TitanPa

I am also rooting for Apollo. HE can dance. His partner isnt half bad either. I just loved his free-style.

She isn't half bad. They make a cute couple - there's some speculation on tv tabloid shows that they are indeed a couple. We'll see. I cast my five votes for them.
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  20:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TitanPa

She isn't half bad. They make a cute couple - there's some speculation on tv tabloid shows that they are indeed a couple. We'll see. I cast my five votes for them.

They say they have a Brother - Sister relationship. I can see some chemistry there. Must be one screwed up family. She is 18 and isnt he 25?
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  03:27:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The live finale is tonight. Laila Ali got booted off during the first hour. Apollo and Joey are left.

P.S. I am surprised Heather Mills came back for the finale. SHe left is such a hurry. She didnt do all of her scheduled interviews when she got booted off. She just had to go back to England. Jimmy Kimmel dug into her bad that night.
Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  03:36:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they were contractually obligated to appear on the final show. I know there was a bit of discussion earlier in the show about the hectic schedules some of them have. Billy Ray (he wore a mullet tonight!?!) Cyrus talked about recording an album, beginning a new season of Hannah Montana AND doing the dancing. Drexler and Mills talked about similar obligations. What I'm not going to miss is the Jimmy Kimmel/Guillermo the security guard bits (although the Guillermo Mustache Magic bit with Clay Aiken was humorous). Any of the final three could have won, but I am still rooting for Ohno, and kind of think he has it won.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000