Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  03:17:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont you hate it when you read over FWFR's and you come upon a reviiew that is an exact quote of the back of the DVD cover? I mean seriously,, be original. My point is not to single out reviews, cause its been done and the dust never settles. My point is to say, Be original! Anyone can turn their DVD cover around and write a review. IT's not gonna get you votes. FWFRers dont let FWFRers plagerize.

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  03:24:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you think that things can be written without seeing it before?
I mean someone has thought of it, why isn't it possible that your mind can come up with the same thing for the same thing?
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  03:31:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've said it before: I hate fwfrs that simply repeat the movie poster. That's just lazy. [Even worse are the unsuspecting voters.]
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  03:33:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure it can happen sometimes. But you know when you read a FWFR that it was written on the back of a dust cover. It has those words of a nose turned movie reviewer. Im not saying it can never happen that the same words are thought by different people.
Go to Top of Page

Ali 
"Those aren't pillows."

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  07:08:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Examples, please.
Go to Top of Page

Josh the cat 
"ice wouldn't melt, you'd think ....."

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  08:33:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ali

Examples, please.

That's a bad idea, it will only cause pain in the long run.

if it's one of mine pm me and I will delete it!

Josh the cat
Go to Top of Page

Tori 
"I don't get it...."

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  08:35:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find that I'll think of something and then later I'll see it somewhere else on here or on a DVD cover for instance. It is usually one of two things, neither of which are plagiarism. One, I have seen it before and didn't remember that and my subconscious brings it back or two, it is a pun that a lot of people would have thought of.

But I agree, punning straight from the cover purposely isn't a great idea.
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  09:07:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure that most cases of this are accidental, but in my opinion they should still be disallowed. Saying that they should be deleted is not the same as blaming anyone for writing them.

However, a phrase could of course be used here before being on a D.V.D. box, so this would need to be done carefully.

Edited by - Salopian on 06/20/2007 09:08:07
Go to Top of Page

Ali 
"Those aren't pillows."

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  09:44:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Josh_the_cat

quote:
Originally posted by Ali

Examples, please.

That's a bad idea, it will only cause pain in the long run.

Oh, I know. That's why I asked for examples. More drama, yay!

There is one review for Chicken Run, for example, with quite a lot of votes as well, that shamelessly pilfers the flick's tagline.

However, the person who came up with it is a good reviewer so I give them the benefit of the doubt. Which is to say I regard any sort of duplicate review on a case by case basis. There are good reviewers, there are bad ones, and there is one reviewer whom everyone seems to love, yet who is so excruciatingly awful that everytime I read their posts or reviews it feels like someone has just dropped a car battery on my sack. It's the nature of the internets, and the best way it imitates life: it's cruel, and stuff, which shouldn't really happen, happens.

PS. Yes, I am one judgmental prick.

Edited by - Ali on 06/20/2007 09:47:36
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  13:04:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, this also happens with taglines, even before DVD release.

On a related note, the producers of the film 'Poultrygeist' lifted the title from my review for "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken'.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Blevins 
"Don't I look handsome?"

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  01:10:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never knowingly plagiarized a movie's tagline, but when it comes to puns, I'll take 'em wherever I can get 'em and then apply them to FWFR. I've stolen puns from jokebooks more times than I care to remember.

Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  01:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemmycaution

On a related note, the producers of the film 'Poultrygeist' lifted the title from my review for "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken'.

And I was so flabbergasted upon meeting Mr. Kaufman in a taxi line that I forgot to ask him if anybody at Troma hangs out at fwfr!
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  04:11:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randall

quote:
Originally posted by lemmycaution

And I was so flabbergasted upon meeting Mr. Kaufman in a taxi line that I forgot to ask him if anybody at Troma hangs out at fwfr!

Well, the plagiarism has Tromatized me.
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  21:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The worst is ...If its not even a pun. Just a summary of the movie. You can actually tell its from the back of a DVD cover.
Go to Top of Page

Beanmimo 
"August review site"

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  14:33:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ali

and there is one reviewer whom everyone seems to love, yet who is so excruciatingly awful that everytime I read their posts or reviews it feels like someone has just dropped a car battery on my sack.

I appreciate the anonyminity with which you wrote this, it danced quite close to the line and as you say it is one of the strong characteristics of internet communiities that you are not going to click with all participants.

So it's probably not a great idea to blow your trumpet about such thing.....especially when it's me you are talking about...it is...isn't it...

Oh!! The Drama.
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 
"A fourword thinking guy."

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  15:44:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ali
There are good reviewers, there are bad ones, and there is one reviewer whom everyone seems to love, yet who is so excruciatingly awful that ...

Only one??

Seriously, liking fwfrs as people and liking their reviews are two totally different things.

In the army they say you salute the rank, not the man.

Here you vote for the reviews, not the reviewers.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000