Pun too far
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  19:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a serious question from a joking topic. How far is too far when punning? There have been some reviews that have offened some people and some jokes that went to far. But how far is too far? I added a movie and have a great pun. But I dont know if it will go over well. I'll just come out and tell it so you can tell me if it's going too far. I added the movie:

A Promise Kept: The Oksana Baiul Story

The Punny review?:

"Baiul Shit"

IS that too far? Will it be taken the wrong way? I truly respect her as a woman and as a skater. But is the joke going past the line???

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  19:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TitanPa

I have a serious question from a joking topic. How far is too far when punning? There have been some reviews that have offened some people and some jokes that went to far. But how far is too far? I added a movie and have a great pun. But I dont know if it will go over well. I'll just come out and tell it so you can tell me if it's going too far. I added the movie:

The Punny review?:

"Baiul Shit"

IS that too far? Will it be taken the wrong way? I truly respect her as a woman and as a skater. But is the joke going past the line???

My first reaction was it's funny, but is it relevant? By which I mean ... bearing in mind I've never heard of her or the film ... whether the film is lousy, or demeans her in some way? In other words, is it more than merely a pun ... can it be applied as a four word film review?

If that makes sense!

Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  19:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

quote:
Originally posted by TitanPa

The Punny review?:

"Baiul Shit"

My first reaction was it's funny, but is it relevant? By which I mean ... bearing in mind I've never heard of her or the film ... whether the film is lousy, or demeans her in some way? In other words, is it more than merely a pun ... can it be applied as a four word film review?

If that makes sense!

She is the talented Russian Figure Skater. IT is the storey about her life. So in a sense...Long overdrawn stories about peoples life often include and are refered to as Bull Shit Stories. Often there is more than information that we need.
Go to Top of Page

Yukon 
"Co-editor of FWFR book"

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  20:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Titan, considering the number of FWFR reviews about animal sex, sex with corpses and reviews that contain the word "fuck," I think a pun on the phrase bull shit is pretty tame. For the record, I think your review is clever, it made me laugh and I'd vote for it.

I think the only time you have to worry about offending people is when dealing with race or minorities. I know there was debate about Whipper's use of the word Nigger for a review (The dog in a movie was named Nigger). There was also a thread a while back on whether the reviews for Brokeback Mountain were offensive.

Go to Top of Page

RockGolf 
"1500+ reviews. 1 joke."

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  20:48:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me, it's not funny. Not offensive, either, just irrelevant. To work, the non-"Baiul" section of the review would have to also relate to her career or life. Maybe "Bauil rink" for "bullring", but even that's weak.

This review isn't a pun too far. It's a pun not far enough.
Go to Top of Page

Stalean 
"Back...OMG"

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  21:15:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you're skating on thin ice , TitanPa. Seriously, it's clever from a pun perspective, but it's probably very thin on relevancy. I haven't seen the film--have you? If you can say without a doubt that there are elements of 'bullshit' in the film, then go for it. My thinking is that the MERPS haven't seen the film and will possibly reject.
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  22:02:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before I get to your review, I'm going to repeat that I don't think ANY review "goes too far," or is too offensive. I've seen some pretty nasty stuff there that I thought was outrageous, but I still think it has a right to be here.

Now, your review...I'm going to be completely honest: I just don't think it's that great a review. It doesn't really accurately describe the film, and the pun wasn't even obvious to me until you explained the "bullshit biography" thing. It's just very, very confusing. It might at least be accurate if it were "A Baiul Shit Biography," but then it only really applies if you thought it was a lousy film.

Don't feel bad, it's still better than a lot of the baiulshit I've submitted over the years.
Go to Top of Page

aahaa, muahaha 
"Optimistic altruist, incurable romantic"

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  06:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This topic reminded me of a film I added and my review for it. I debated for sometime before deciding that it does fit.
Go to Top of Page

Koli 
"Striving lackadaisically for perfection."

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  20:17:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Rockgolf and what Downtown says in his second paragraph. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000