Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  19:59:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damalc's inclusion of Sexy Beast in the previous thread got me thinking about scenes shimmering with anger. Kingsley's diatribe in SB was one of the most powerful I've seen.

Here are some other fav rages:
Warren Beatty losing it as Bugsy
Joe Pesci's Do I amuse you? speech
Kathy Bates in the carpark in Fried Green Tomatoes
Nicholson getting what he wants in the diner
Brando in One-Eyed Jacks - "get up you scum-sucking pig"
Sally Field refusing to be taken for granted in Norma Rae

What are yours?

silly 
"That rabbit's DYNAMITE."

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  20:19:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicholson in 'The Shining.'

Michael Douglas in 'Falling Down.'

Roger Rabbit in 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit.'

I'm sure I'll think of more...
Go to Top of Page

Joe Blevins 
"Don't I look handsome?"

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  20:42:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weirdly enough, my mind immediately went to Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka in the climactic scene of Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory. "YOU GET NOTHING! YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY SIR!!!"
Go to Top of Page

ragingfluff 
"Currently lost in Canada"

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  20:44:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For cold, controlled anger laced with pure contempt, try Alec Baldwin's pep talk in Glengarry Glen Ross, which you can watch here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-AXTx4PcKI

Pacino's diatribe at the end of Scent of A Woman
Pacino's diatribe at the end of The Devil's Advocate
Pacino's diatribe at the end of throughout Scarface

Nicholson versus Cruise at the climax of A Few Good Men

Spacey in the backseat of the car towards the end of Se7en

Go to Top of Page

RockGolf 
"1500+ reviews. 1 joke."

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  21:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even better than Peter Finch's wonderful "I'm mad as hell" speech in Network is Ned Beatty's "YOU WILL ATONE" boardroom speech aimed solely at Howard Beale.
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  21:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There can be no question, no argument at all, for the right answer to this particular debate.

I mean, I'm looking at some of the choices so far, some of them strike me as some of the WORST angry moments in cinema. For courtesy's sake, I won't name them. But I'm looking and no one as yet has picked what should be the obvious choice, the true masterpiece of angry ranting.

And that is, of course, Edward Norton's Fuck You rant in Spike Lee's 25th Hour.

It is the untoppable ultimate in cinematic anger. If you've seen the movie you know what I'm talking about. It is all the good scenes from Michael Douglas in Falling Down, wrapped into one and with real humanity added under the surface. He blasts every single person he can think of in New York City; the rich and the poor, the white and the black, everyone he can think of. Fuck the Wall Street brokers, Gordon Gekko wannabe motherfuckers, finding new ways to screw over the working man, send those Enron motherfuckers to jail for fucking life! Fuck the Chelsea boys with their waxed chests and pumped-up biceps, going down on each other in my parks and piers, jiggling their dicks on my Channel 35!

That scene is one of the finest moments in filmmaking history. It is more than cinema, it is music. I literally treat it like one of my favorite songs, I put it on after a bad day.

Here watch it, and tell me that you disagree: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyhw8Z1cZ-c
Go to Top of Page

ragingfluff 

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  21:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MisterBadIdea

There can be no question, no argument at all, for the right answer to this particular debate.

I mean, I'm looking at some of the choices so far, some of them strike me as some of the WORST angry moments in cinema. For courtesy's sake, I won't name them. But I'm looking and no one as yet has picked what should be the obvious choice, the true masterpiece of angry ranting.

And that is, of course, Edward Norton's Fuck You rant in Spike Lee's 25th Hour.

It is the untoppable ultimate in cinematic anger. If you've seen the movie you know what I'm talking about. It is all the good scenes from Michael Douglas in Falling Down, wrapped into one and with real humanity added under the surface. He blasts every single person he can think of in New York City; the rich and the poor, the white and the black, everyone he can think of. Fuck the Wall Street brokers, Gordon Gekko wannabe motherfuckers, finding new ways to screw over the working man, send those Enron motherfuckers to jail for fucking life! Fuck the Chelsea boys with their waxed chests and pumped-up biceps, going down on each other in my parks and piers, jiggling their dicks on my Channel 35!

That scene is one of the finest moments in filmmaking history. It is more than cinema, it is music. I literally treat it like one of my favorite songs, I put it on after a bad day.

Here watch it, and tell me that you disagree: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyhw8Z1cZ-c

good choice; reminds me of another spike lee angry moment I'd forgotten: the various racist rants to camera in DO THE RIGHT THING

Go to Top of Page

damalc 
"last watched: Sausage Party"

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  22:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Blevins

Weirdly enough, my mind immediately went to Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka in the climactic scene of Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory. "YOU GET NOTHING! YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY SIR!!!"

that was a good one, especially after he had been so much fun through most of the movie.
i liked Scarface quitting in "Half Baked":
"Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!"
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  23:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
De Niro to Bridget Fonda in Jackie Brown "Don't say another word". Suppressed rage, but I just knew something was gonna happen...
Go to Top of Page

Joe Blevins 
"Don't I look handsome?"

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  00:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Se�n

De Niro to Bridget Fonda in Jackie Brown "Don't say another word". Suppressed rage, but I just knew something was gonna happen...

Or in that same movie, Samuel L. Jackson to Robert DeNiro after the badly bungled money pick-up. It's hilarious to watch Jackson seethe with rage at his old buddy's gross incompetence. DeNiro has made so many mistakes in such a short amount of time that Jackson can hardly believe it.

Jackson is one of the kings of movie anger. I'm reminded of his courtroom outburst in A Time to Kill ("Yes, they deserved to die!") and his numerous outbursts after John Travolta accidentally shoots Marvin in Pulp Fiction: in the car right after the shooting ("Well, believe it now, motherf-----!"), in a bathroom later that morning ("What the f--- you just do to his towels, man?"), and finally cleaning out the car in Jimmie's garage ("I'm Superfly TNT!").

This thread has reminded me of just how entertaining it can be to watch people get angry onscreen. Many of my favorite performers from Divine to John Cleese to Gene Wilder to Samuel L. Jackson are at their very funniest/best when they're ticked off about something. I'd never really thought of that before.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  01:17:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Blevins

... and finally cleaning out the car in Jimmie's garage ("I'm Superfly TNT!").
Actually the first time I saw Pulp Fiction I thought that Travolta was the one who was gonna 'blow' when on 'brain detail'. He wasn't screaming or shouting but it had been made clear that he had a low tolerance for criticism or disrespect. But then Jackson made it clear who was the angriest.

I think Tarantino movies are jammed full of 'shimmering anger' scenes. Ving Rhames in the gimp dungeon for example, he wasn't shouting either, but man, was he gonna make Zed pay....
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  04:40:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Se�n

Oh man, that scene is fantastic. It's like the counter to all the scenes listed so far, DeNiro says so much with so little. Trying to make every word count like Norton in 25th Hour has to be grueling, but I think what DeNiro does in that scene might be even more impressive.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  07:18:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my favourte angry scenes is from Adam's Rib, when Tracey pushes Hepburn with his fake gun to admit that she was basically wrong. Classic - especially when he takes a bite out of the barrel!
Go to Top of Page

ragingfluff 

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  15:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone noticed how many of these films/scenes feature men (not including Kathy Bates, obviously)?? Can anyone think of a movie scene with a lot of really angry women (besides things like Caged Heat)?

Go to Top of Page

turrell 
"Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh "

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  16:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ragingfluff

For cold, controlled anger laced with pure contempt, try Alec Baldwin's pep talk in Glengarry Glen Ross, which you can watch here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-AXTx4PcKI

r-f thanks for posting this - its my favorite venom moment on film!
Go to Top of Page

turrell 
"Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh "

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  16:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ragingfluff

Has anyone noticed how many of these films/scenes feature men (not including Kathy Bates, obviously)?? Can anyone think of a movie scene with a lot of really angry women (besides things like Caged Heat)?

2 Days in the Valley - although not a little of talking, just cat fighting. Also in Kill Bill - Uma lets her sword do most of the talking as she kills the other vipers.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000