Dexter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

damalc 
"last watched: Sausage Party"

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  00:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my favorite television show, maybe ever, started its second season Sunday.
i was a little disappointed with the first show of the season, probably because there's no way it could have lived up to my anticipation. anyway, i'll be delightfully, darkly disconnected for the next 11 or so Sundays. if you haven't seen Dexter, give it a try.

i also finished the second of the source books (Dexter books) Monday, a day behind schedule. i think the first book was a little better, and the television show is much better than both. the Showtime series makes much better use of a colorful supporting cast, and Jeff Lindsay just seems to get lazy at the ends of the books. an email from Amazon.com let me know that i should be getting the third book in a few days. at this point i almost plan to read it just for the sake of completeness, kind of like when i went to see Star Wars eps. 1-3.

Animal Mutha 
"Who would've thunk it?"

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  00:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed the 1st series and can't wait until they air the next one over here. I was so glad that it came to a proper conclusion, instead of the usual cliffhanger. If anyone in the UK hasn't seen it, it's on FX and I'm sure they'll replay it at some point. One of the best opening titles I've seen in a long time too!
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  10:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is amazing! The last episode of season one is airing here this week, and I'm chomping at the bit for it. Here's my review of the show (remove 'members' from that if you can't be arsed to sign up and give me 3p for your read). Michael C Hall is a fantastic actor, and the idea for the show works wonderfully. Don't miss it!
Go to Top of Page

Chris C 
"Four words, never backwards."

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  23:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loved it - nice dark humour, just how I like it. Mrs C and I are looking forward to series 2 already.
Go to Top of Page

mampers11 
"Lazy Lebowski Loses Rug"

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  07:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got to say, I love Dexter. It is one of the best programmes aroundon TV. It should be on terrestial. Think Hall is a great actor. Great premise as well. Being a CSI blood splatter expert by day, but by night he is a vigilante serial killer.

Mampers

Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  08:46:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

It is amazing! The last episode of season one is airing here this week, and I'm chomping at the bit for it. Here's my review of the show (remove 'members' from that if you can't be arsed to sign up and give me 3p for your read). Michael C Hall is a fantastic actor, and the idea for the show works wonderfully. Don't miss it!

Many thanks for the review link, CL. I've not been watching this and reading about the premise cold wouldn't really attract me. But if the show genuinely explores the implicit moral dilemma and doesn't just provide another excuse for so-called justifiable vigilantism, it does sound intriguing.

Though I'm dubious that some unexplored event in someone's childhood could by itself turn someone into a murderous socio-path, however cute they are! Even if it turned out that the foster father raped him as a child, or forced him to participate in a vigilante murder, the development of psychotic personality disorders aren't so linear.

But I'm fair and will give it a go when next it's here.

Go to Top of Page

damalc 

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  18:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm a little disappointed with Season 2 after three episodes. i know there's a long way to go but so far, it's just not doing it for me.

signed,
dearly disappointed damalc
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  07:58:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe
Though I'm dubious that some unexplored event in someone's childhood could by itself turn someone into a murderous socio-path, however cute they are! Even if it turned out that the foster father raped him as a child, or forced him to participate in a vigilante murder, the development of psychotic personality disorders aren't so linear.

But I'm fair and will give it a go when next it's here.

Actually, its more like they're using a similar premise as that in the novel/play/movie "The Bad Seed" by William March.

I really wish my mother-in-law was still alive since it would be interesting to find out what a psychiatrist might say about this theory - that wanting to kill is actually genetically linked and not necessarily totally environmentally linked. We know that some mental illnesses are actually organic - like bi-polar disorder, for instance. So it is possible that other certain sociopathic behaviours could be as well. Certainly "Thou Shall Not Kill" (or more correctly translated, "murder") is something that went against the basic survival instincts that were in place millions of years before the dawn of philosphy, ethics and laws. Who is to say that some genetic accident couldn't bring that ancient behaviour back into play?

So, yes - do be fair and give it a look. But remember, the mystery goes for the whole season, and isn't solved until the last episode - so it isn't a show you can watch once or twice at random.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  07:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by damalc

i'm a little disappointed with Season 2 after three episodes. i know there's a long way to go but so far, it's just not doing it for me.

signed,
dearly disappointed damalc

Oh...

well...

I'm not going to listen. I'm sure it will get better.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  08:23:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

i also finished the second of the source books (Dexter books) Monday, a day behind schedule. i think the first book was a little better, and the television show is much better than both. the Showtime series makes much better use of a colorful supporting cast, and Jeff Lindsay just seems to get lazy at the ends of the books. an email from Amazon.com let me know that i should be getting the third book in a few days. at this point i almost plan to read it just for the sake of completeness, kind of like when i went to see Star Wars eps. 1-3.

Just out of interest, how closely does the series follow the books? Is it like series one is the first book, series two the second and so on, or is it quite loosely based?
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  10:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews
Is it like series one is the first book, series two the second and so on...?

That's exactly what I've been told, and from what I can see from the synopsis of these books as well.

Edited by - ChocolateLady on 10/16/2007 10:15:53
Go to Top of Page

damalc 

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  17:52:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

quote:

Just out of interest, how closely does the series follow the books? Is it like series one is the first book, series two the second and so on, or is it quite loosely based?

the first season was pretty close to "Darkly Dreaming Dexter," with a little different resolution, and actually Dex kills more on Showtime than he does in the books.
the second series looks like it's going a whole different direction from "Dearly Devoted Dexter."
Go to Top of Page

damalc 

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  20:49:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just learned Season 3 starts Sep. 28. i'm giddy! guess i need to hurry up and read "Dexter in the Dark."

Edited by - damalc on 08/14/2008 21:32:54
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  13:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

just learned Season 3 starts Sep. 28. i'm giddy! guess i need to hurry up and read "Dexter in the Dark."

And it looks like they'll be airing this starting sometime in October here as well. Oooh! Am I ever anxiously awaiting this!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000