Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Ali 
"Those aren't pillows."

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  12:53:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Sean - I am not the intended audience for a lot of films I like. I doubt that they were thinking of short, hairy, frustrated (yet incredibly good-looking) Turkish men when they were developing Enchanted.
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  15:29:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

but common sense made it quite obvious to me that I should read the book first in this case.

Which implies the following continuation phrase "if I expect to understand and better enjoy the film."

That's fine. There is no rule that books and film must stand alone. I'd just rather enjoy a film as it is and be even more pleased to supplement it with book material, rather than have a continuous "wtf?" moment with the hope that I'm going to understand it later if I read the book, which, also, is not guaranteed.

But, mind you, I'm not discounting your greater appreciation of TGC, nor do I intend to invalidate your opinion.

Some folks likes what others dunt.
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  16:14:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's strange, though. When watching it, I wasn't struck by parts that I realised would be difficult to follow without having read the book. I suppose it's a case of the book building up certain concepts gradually, such that I did not then notice that some things introduced suddenly in the film might not be clear. This was also presumably the cause of the film coming out like that - because all concerned will have read the book too, and become immersed in its premises (the relationship of people and daemons, for example).
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  16:32:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MguyX
[br

The more I think about it, the more I realize my original exhortation to concentrate might have helped you, book or no book. EG In the first few scenes we get an intro to an Oxford-like setting and the sense of expectation that an important person is due. Special conference, etc. We learn of Lyra's place in that academic world. We're aware quite quickly that evil doings are afoot -- the poison in the wine, etc. We see dishy Dan and his big cat and the sense that "the child" is special. And then, when Dan foils the dastardly plan and proceeds to give his illustrated talk - we're aware this society is more advanced than ours because the apparent 2D illustration is on an animated loop -- it reminded me of that scene where Princess Leia gives the hologram message. And then - we learn of this 'dust' stuff -- and - Dan TELLS US - he's convinced it can flow both into and out of folk, and that there's a good chance it's a connecting force to parallel worlds. He wants funding to travel North to verify his theories.

Well, what a set-up. You don't have to read any of the trilogy to appreciate something's promised here, and if you stick with it, it could be good!

Now, if you'd stop doing the rounds of those T&A clubs during the day when you should be in court, you'd be able to stay awake for the finer moments of cine-tainment

Innit?

Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  19:41:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't text messaging during the film: I was trying to follow the story.

Bottom line for me: it didn't engage me.

T&A clubs, indeed!

(As if I didn't already have a constant string of groupies knocking down my door!)
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  20:39:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ali

Sean - I am not the intended audience for a lot of films I like. I doubt that they were thinking of short, hairy, frustrated (yet incredibly good-looking) Turkish men when they were developing Enchanted.
Actually one of my favourite movies ever is a teen rom-com, Fucking �m�l. Not sure if I was the intended audience or not. Or perhaps I only liked it because it's about Swedish teen lezzos.

I'll definitely see The Golden Compass (as long as the score remains above 6), as any movie this controversial has to be worth checking out.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  23:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will definitely check it out. However, I will wait three months and watch it at home. Bad news for a $180MM picture.
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  16:20:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
There is no rule that books and film must stand alone.

Well, there is for me. I guarantee you that, even if I had read the books, I still would have given this movie a thumbs-down (and I've seen many HDM fans give it even more vicious pans than I did). If a movie only succeeds as a supplement to its source material, it's a failure as a movie.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  19:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MisterBadIdea

quote:

Well, there is for me. I guarantee you that, even if I had read the books, I still would have given this movie a thumbs-down (and I've seen many HDM fans give it even more vicious pans than I did). If a movie only succeeds as a supplement to its source material, it's a failure as a movie.

But this one doesn't. And it isn't.

Here are some of my M* thoughts on tangential issues raised by the film.

Edited by - BaftaBaby on 12/15/2007 09:14:35
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  22:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Se�n

quote:
Originally posted by Ali

Actually one of my favourite movies ever is a teen rom-com, Fucking �m�l. Not sure if I was the intended audience or not. Or perhaps I only liked it because it's about Swedish teen lezzos.

I'll definitely see The Golden Compass (as long as the score remains above 6), as any movie this controversial has to be worth checking out.

Known as 'Show Me Love' most places, including FWFR.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  09:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

Oooh! Okay, now I want to see the film AND read the book.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  21:36:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by MisterBadIdea

quote:

But this one doesn't. And it isn't.

One note: Pullman has been repeatedly quoted as saying that the perceived excision of religious inferences in the first film don't bother him all that much because he wants there to be more films, and if that might prove to be an obstacle, then so be it. Can't provide a link, but I'm positive that EW's preview article included this quoted sentiment, as well as perhaps Rolling Stone. Pullman is hardly Above The Fray here; he wants all three films made, and is perfectly willing to nod to the mass market to get that done.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  22:14:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm ... still #1 in US bo and now #1 in UK as well ... someone's word of mouth can't be all bad

Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  23:03:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm ... still #1 in US bo and now #1 in UK as well ... someone's word of mouth can't be all bad

Think you're still referring to last week's US tally. Let's see when we actually get to the weekend. UK? Of course!

Remember that this thing cost US$180MM. That is what counts.

EDIT: I hate to be the evil sorceror on all this. I'm only trying to point out a navigational star that will lead us toward reality.

Edited by - randall on 12/15/2007 23:10:52
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  23:15:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randall

quote:

Think you're still referring to last week's US tally. Let's see when we actually get to the weekend. UK? Of course!

Remember that this thing cost US$180MM. That is what counts.

EDIT: I hate to be the evil sorceror on all this. I'm only trying to point out a navigational star that will lead us toward reality.

Well, of course you're the evil sorceror ... and I expect to see you in TGC sequel

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000