Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  22:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And now we finally do have the following weekend's grosses: #1 is I AM LEGEND, estimated $76.5MM. That's a blockbuster weekend.

COMPASS? #3, $9MM.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  02:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randall

And now we finally do have the following weekend's grosses: #1 is I AM LEGEND, estimated $76.5MM. That's a blockbuster weekend.

COMPASS? #3, $9MM.

Hmmm - still proving my point since its opening in the UK was, I believe, among the top 5 or 6 all year. Actually, none of this implies anything about the intrinsic value of the film, as you very well know. It's also true that bo figures are not the sole definition of success ... important, of course, but not the only measure.

I'm not sure what this is about anymore. Some of us think it's a very good film, others don't, and others seem to be making up their minds without having seen it. All of which is fair enough, and certainly not the first time for any of it.

I did think the trailer I saw today for Kung Fu Panda looked pretty cute! And, I think it was MrBI who pointed out the rancid honey that is Bee-Movie ... I totally agree --- am still trying to get that sickly taste out of my mouth.

We Own the Night went a long way to making me feel better about film - but I'll do a better precis tomorrow. Yes, I know it's not perfect

Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  11:05:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

quote:

COMPASS? #3, $9MM.

Hmmm - still proving my point since its opening in the UK was, I believe, among the top 5 or 6 all year. Actually, none of this implies anything about the intrinsic value of the film, as you very well know. It's also true that bo figures are not the sole definition of success ... important, of course, but not the only measure.

Absolutely true. To whom does the gross really matter? Only one constituency: the financial backers. And maybe one more: anyone who wishes to see movies #2 and #3.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  18:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only yesterday, I PMed Baffy to suggest that the performance of THE GOLDEN COMPASS might hasten hatchet burial between Bob Shaye and Peter Jackson. And look what happened.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  19:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Only yesterday, I PMed Baffy to suggest that the performance of THE GOLDEN COMPASS might hasten hatchet burial between Bob Shaye and Peter Jackson. And look what happened.

Randall works under the name Madame Zelda outside the NY Public Library on M-W-F from noon till 3. Consultations strictly by appointment.

Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  23:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I read that this morning. I'm curious to know the 'nature' of the deal. PJ believed he was owed around $100m.
Go to Top of Page

Conan The Westy 
"Father, Faithful Friend, Fwiffer"

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  07:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But if that's $NZ100m he might just right it off on tax...
Go to Top of Page

RockGolf 
"1500+ reviews. 1 joke."

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  19:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so depressed. I just got the following review for the movie rejected as "factually inaccurate": Dakota differentiates North, South.

Any suggestions on how I can maintain the joke but still be accurate?
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  02:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just stay simple - "North, Dakota." That's a pretty good review I think.

But not a particularly good film. Finally caught it this afternoon and felt very underwhelmed. I have read the book, and firstly I did have some hefty question marks over some of the casting. Daniel Craig - bleh - could you get anyone less Lordly? - he's going to struggle to persuade me he's anything other than a thug on screen - it's what he does best. The Royal National Theatre staged the trilogy a couple of years ago and cast Timothy Dalton as Asriel. A much more suitable Bond for the Asriel role in my opinion. Anyway, he was one of several odd choices in the film's casting.
On the whole the acting was good, only a swathe of superb British actors in cough and spit parts was a little excessive. Liked Kidman, really liked Sam Elliot (as always, even though I kept hearing bits of The Big Lebowski in my middle ear) even liked Dakota Blue well enough- a rarity in child actor performances for me, although the rest of the them were horrible, particularly Roger.

Overall I felt it was mishandled by the director, poorly constructed by the screenwriters (ye gods, exposition... exposition... "I feel this...", "I think that...") most fatally largely lacked a sense of genuine wonder essential for a fantastical story. It was totally competent, but the bar has been raised out of sight by another fantastical trilogy mentioned already -and it's pretty anaemic and 2D in comparison to that, and not just the so-so CGI. I hope the next two parts are better, but I have my doubts, as the first book struck me as the best of the three.
Go to Top of Page

Ali 
"Those aren't pillows."

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  08:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

There won't be a second, or third, film.
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  16:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Given the current international sales and the inevitable huge boost of DVD sales next year I'd be very surprised if the film didn't make back its investment - it would also be a huge admission of failure if New Line didn't go ahead and complete the story. If it stays as one film that would be an even bigger shame than the underwhelm I felt watching the first one.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  19:14:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dem8nic

Given the current international sales and the inevitable huge boost of DVD sales next year I'd be very surprised if the film didn't make back its investment - it would also be a huge admission of failure if New Line didn't go ahead and complete the story. If it stays as one film that would be an even bigger shame than the underwhelm I felt watching the first one.

I would be astonished if the film did make back its investment. And very surprised if there were a #2 and #3.
Go to Top of Page

Ali 
"Those aren't pillows."

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  07:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Even after some creative accounting, for which New Line is renowned, I would say it's nigh impossible the studio will recoup its original investment. We are talking about a budget well north of 200m USD, including marketing costs and the like. In order to warrant a sequel, the film would, traditionally, need to make about twice as much globally, if not more. There is no way The Golden Compass will clear the 500m mark globally.

Go to Top of Page

turrell 
"Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh "

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  00:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if atheists and pagans, etc. liked this movie more than others - just an observation (no judgements) from what I've read here - I have not seen it and its pretty low on my screener priority list.

Edited by - turrell on 12/29/2007 01:15:40
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 01/03/2008 :  12:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, after three weeks in the UK top #1 spot, tGC has been bumped to #2 by Enchanted. My local cinema manager tells me tGC is still packing them in, though.

I told him about the difference of opinion on fwfr, and he agreed with me that there are big cultural differences between US and UK expectations.

Hey ho.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000