Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  05:28:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And as an addition to that, I just realized that I tragically neglected the atrocity Bee Movie from my list.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  10:27:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MisterBadIdea

But that's very, very beside the point I was trying to make. My point was, this is the WORST FILMS OF THE YEAR list, not the VAGUELY DISAPPOINTING FILMS OF THE YEAR list. I can't understand at all what would make anyone who's seen more than two dozen films in a year put Live Free or Die Hard on their worst list.
That's a fair point, except that I do some serious filtering before watching films (like I'd guess many will do), and deliberately avoid the rubbish. But, you did entitle the thread "TOP TEN LEAST FAVOURITE FILMS OF THE YEAR", not "WORST FILMS MADE THIS YEAR". I think people will put the ten movies they liked least on the list, which is probably gonna include generic action flicks. The fact that someone's put a movie on their "least favourite" list doesn't necessarily mean they think it's unredeemable garbage.

I'd give my ten least favourite a score of at least 6/10, i.e., a pass mark in my book, as I didn't see any real shockers. I very seldom watch a movie and give it less than 6/10, perhaps 1% of movies I see, due to my filtering process.

Edited by - Sean on 01/22/2008 10:30:49
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  01:39:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MisterBadIdea
As far as I'm concerned, the day you stop liking generic action movies is the day you stop liking movies at all

I happen to like a bit of trash now and then to keep the flavours in the cinema pot mixed up, but I don't really follow your argument. You're actually saying someone who hates shitty action movies can't really appreciate films? Sounds like the person who can't appreciate film is the person not watching the good stuff - ie. the person spending time watching all the bog standard action movies.

quote:
But that's very, very beside the point I was trying to make. My point was, this is the WORST FILMS OF THE YEAR list, not the VAGUELY DISAPPOINTING FILMS OF THE YEAR list. I can't understand at all what would make anyone who's seen more than two dozen films in a year put Live Free or Die Hard on their worst list.

That argument makes sense, but basically I chose the ten (or so) films I enjoyed the least last year - some of them may have only been vaguely disappointing, but they were still the worst of the films I saw in the year.

As for your final point - what I'm having trouble understanding is why it isn't screamingly obvious that we don't all share the same tastes in film and therefore don't use your or anyone else's opinions as a guideline. I personally didn't see Die Hard 4, but even if you did like it or love it or hate it, what exactly has that got to do with anyone else?
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  02:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I happen to like a bit of trash now and then to keep the flavours in the cinema pot mixed up, but I don't really follow your argument. You're actually saying someone who hates shitty action movies can't really appreciate films? Sounds like the person who can't appreciate film is the person not watching the good stuff - ie. the person spending time watching all the bog standard action movies.

Well, I was half-joking, but yes, I think simple gut pleasures from delivers-the-goods genre films are a very large part of what I enjoy about cinema.

But for the record:
1) I was talking about DECENT action movies, not shitty ones.
2) You can't tell whether a film is going to be "the good stuff" or "shitty" until you actually watch it, so a person who only watches action movies and not the critically acclaimed stuff is just looking for greatness down a different avenue than the person who does the reverse. There's always a hidden gem among the trash, and professional critics are often full of shit.

quote:
As for your final point - what I'm having trouble understanding is why it isn't screamingly obvious that we don't all share the same tastes in film and therefore don't use your or anyone else's opinions as a guideline. I personally didn't see Die Hard 4, but even if you did like it or love it or hate it, what exactly has that got to do with anyone else?

I will take the hit for this, I got my own point confused on that one. I got my perspective tangled with Chris C's perspective. What I was saying to Chris C is I don't understand the perspective of someone who can find Die Hard 4.0 any worse than vaguely disappointing, and what I was saying to Sean is that vaguely disappointing films shouldn't be on the list. Somehow I got the idea that Chris C was only vaguely disappointed by Die Hard 4.0, which I'm guessing he was not, and which, again, I totally do not get.

Edited by - MisterBadIdea on 01/24/2008 02:12:43
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  10:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I follow you, MBI, and agree to a point. Part of my diet is heavily genre... AvP2 and I Am Legend represent the last two films I saw in the cinema and they hit the spot very nicely, but I'm wary of some people who only watch rubbishy movies and try to say they are great films just because they enjoyed them.
Go to Top of Page

Chris C 
"Four words, never backwards."

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  18:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In reply to various points above:

I don't get to the cinema very often, and when I do I try to pick and choose what I see, hopefully getting to see something good. I resent paying good money only to find out that the movie is a load of tosh.

I found Die Hard 4.0 and Spiderman 3 both more than vaguely disappointing: Die Hard because of the higher than usual (for Die Hard) BS-quotient and the inadvertant laugh out loud moments, and Spidey 3 because of some very poor visuals (close-ups of Spidey swinging through New York), and some very cringeworthy moments (Peter Parker trying to be cool). We came out of the cinema after both movies saying "What a load of crap" and would be very unlikely to watch either movie again.
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  22:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of terrible movies of the year, check out this year's Razzie Award nominations honoring the year's worst films. Fortunately, I have not seen any of the nominees for Worst Picture.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000