Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ali 
"Those aren't pillows."

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  15:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The nominations are in, and you can find out about them here.

Feedback on my blogpost is most welcome.

turrell 
"Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh "

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  16:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was generally happy with the nominations and I need to see a few more movies now that there were some surprises (Valley of Elah for TL Jones, Linney in Savages and a few of the foreign language films -Diving Butterfly whatchamacallit (not sure if thats the exact title) and La Vie en Rose.

I think the 5 best picture nom's are my 5 favorite movies of the year - nothing pops to mind that I liked better (or should say respected more).

I was also pleased with some of the performances left off the list as I felt they were overly hyped and undeserving - namely Jolie in A Mighty Heart.

I do hope the writers strike is resolved in time because this year the awards are so up in the air with few front runners (Maybe Lewis and Bardem for acting and supporting). I think it will be a fun show if they can pull it off.

Edited by - turrell on 01/22/2008 17:23:40
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  17:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This year I've managed to see all the Best Pic nominees except for MICHAEL CLAYTON, and I'll fix that in time for the Oscars.

And ENCHANTED got three songs on the list!
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  18:00:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whatever. The Golden Globes tend to go to whomever most deserves them. The Oscars are just Hollywood's "Gold Gloves." The voters rarely bother to put any thought into it and just pick whomever is the most popular.

Although the blog commentary is right about one thing: Blanchett being being nominated for Best Actress (which she never had any shot at anyway since the film was panned) will kill any chance she has at Best Supporting. Actually, I find that kind of funny.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  19:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice blogpost, Ali. I saw WAR/DANCE at Sundance last year, and I still think about it every once in a while. But it's so far under the radar than it doesn't have a prayer. Foreign language and docs are the categories that most Academy members vote blind.
Go to Top of Page

RockGolf 
"1500+ reviews. 1 joke."

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  20:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know why Blanchett's dual noms would eliminate her in either category. More frequently someone nominated in both lead & support has won one or the other acting award. (Usually supporting, but Al Pacino won lead, lost supporting.) The only exception I can think of was Sigourney Weaver, who lost in both categories.
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  21:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very strong crop of Oscar nominations this year, led of course by No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood, two of the best movies of the decade. Even this year's boring-looking costume drama Atonement was pretty good. I would have swapped in Sweeney Todd for Michael Clayton, which, in case you haven't heard my opinion it yet, is a rabid piece of dogshit. And even then, I don't begrudge the Oscar for nominating Tilda Swinton and Tom Wilkinson.

Best Picture: There Will Be Blood is the best picture of this year or any year -- please god don't let it go to Michael Clayton, I'll cry. Atonement would be a boring but not particularly bad pick, Juno is heavily overrated but worth watching.

Best Actor: Eastern Promises is a good movie but I wasn't particuarly impressed with Viggo's performance, especially compared with his turn in A History of Violence. As far as I'm concerned, this category is owned by Daniel Day-Lewis. Also would not mind Tommy Lee Jones winning. George Clooney got a nomination for doing the same damn thing he always does -- he was all, all wrong for that role. Moral ambiguity does not suit him.

Best Actress: Glad to see Angelina Jolie and Amy Adams not get nominated. Not a great category this year, though I still haven't seen The Savages or Elizabeth: The Golden Age. Ellen Page is a strong actress, don't know if I would give it to her for that role though. Hope it doesn't go to Marion Cotillard, that was a borefest of a movie.

Best Supporting Actor: Hal Holbrook is on here because he's old. I'd give it to Paul Dano, but he wasn't nominated. Hoffman is a great actor but I wouldn't give him an Oscar nomination for that particular role, really wish I'd seen The Assassination of Jesse James. I'd be happy with Tom Wilkinson, but I'd really like to see Javier Bardem win it.

Best Supporting Actress: Good performances all around, a strong category -- I'd give to Amy Ryan, though, just for her pronouncement that the room "smelled like cock."

Best Director: NOT Gilroy. NOT Reitman. Please, let it be Paul Thomas Anderson, please.

Edited by - MisterBadIdea on 01/22/2008 21:41:36
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  21:48:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that Viggo is a seat-filler, though his part in EASTERN PROMISES, which we saw last night, is so powerful and internal that you actually forget the phony accent, and I'm sure that's what actors responded to. [You nominate in your own category only, then you can vote for the final awards on everything.] It's an accomplished job and deserves recognition, but it's a quiet part, despite the steambath. Viggo needs the hero to clasp Oscar, and I'm not talking about Aragorn.

But I anointed Day-Lewis and Bardem back when I saw the respective flicks, and I still go there. If they don't win [I won't even guess at Best Picture], then a pox on the whole Academy. [How many times have you said this before?]

EDIT: Nobody expected Amy Adams to actually get a nom. She simply carried a picture, and she is now a somebody because of it.

And where was DARJEELING? Nowhere. I'm still scratching my head [see my original NYFF thread].

Edited by - randall on 01/22/2008 21:52:52
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  23:08:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen precisely NONE of the nominated movies even though I see about 250 movies a year. I'll see the good ones over the next year though.

I will now exit this thread.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  02:40:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ali: I just got back from a FSLC screening of THE BAND'S VISIT, which I adored. [They'll be showing us THE COUNTERFEITERS next month.] What exactly was the controversy? That Arabs and Israelis could coexist? Please, somebody from the Mideast fill me in...I honestly don't know.

Edited by - randall on 01/23/2008 02:48:38
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  03:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Ali, I was being dismissive of the Oscars...not your blog. Hope it didn't come across the wrong way.
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  03:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every year I usually see 1 or movies that get nominated somehow, before they get nominated. This year it all changed. I have not seen 1 single movie on the list. Oh wait....I did see Ratatouille and Surf's Up. I find it odd that none of these movies actually interest me. Seeing as how i watched Brokeback Mountain the year it got nominated, and I didnt even want to watch it. This year I have no opinions. I have no qupis or thoughts. Just wanted to mention this.

BTW Ali...good blog

Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  04:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randall

Ali: I just got back from a FSLC screening of THE BAND'S VISIT, which I adored. [They'll be showing us THE COUNTERFEITERS next month.] What exactly was the controversy? That Arabs and Israelis could coexist? Please, somebody from the Mideast fill me in...I honestly don't know.

I haven't seen The Band's Visit yet, but the controversy is that more than 50% of the dialogue is in English, and therefore it cannot be considered for the Best Foreign Language Film category. This is clearly a rule that can and should be bent to reflect the reality of the world we live in in which English is a common language that different cultures communicate through.
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  04:52:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My detailed opinions on certain categories of the Academy Award nominations:

Best Picture
Which I hope will win: Juno!
Which I could do without: There Will Be Blood
Which I wish was nominated: Sunshine (I know most of you disagree with me, but seriously, was There Will Be Blood really that much better?)

Best Director
Which I hope will win: Coen Brothers
Which I could do without: Paul Thomas Anderson
Which I wish was nominated: Danny Boyle for Sunshine!

Best Orig. Screenplay
Which I hope will win: Juno!
Which I could do without: Ratatouille (I didn't like the ending)
Which I wish was nominated: Breach (the film about the Robert Hanssen, the worst double agent in U.S. history)

Best Adapted Screenplay
Which I hope will win: Atonement
Which I wish was nominated: Charlie Wilson's War!

Best Cinematography
Which I hope will win: Atonement!
Which I wish was nominated: 3:10 to Yuma

Best Film Editing
Which I hope will win: No Country for Old Men
Which I could do without: The Bourne Ultimatum (I'm not a huge fan of quick cuts)
Which I wish was nominated: Sunshine!

Best Score
Which I hope will win: Ratatouille!
Which I could do without: 3:10 to Yuma
Which I wish was nominated: Atonement

Best Sound Mixing and Best Sound Editing
Which I hope will win: Ratatouille!
Which I could do without: 3:10 to Yuma
Which I wish was nominated: Atonement

My favorite thing: Juno getting Best Picture, Best Actress, and Best Original Screenplay nominations
My least favorite things: Sunshine and Breach being completely overlooked. I understand that I'm in the minority on Sunshine, but I thought Breach was every bit as good in terms of production values, acting, and screenplay that it deserved better.

Overall, this was a great year for nominations!

EDIT: I just rented 3:10 to Yuma and updated accordingly.

Edited by - GHcool on 01/27/2008 06:50:38
Go to Top of Page

turrell 
"Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh "

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  05:30:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Se�n

I have seen precisely NONE of the nominated movies even though I see about 250 movies a year. I'll see the good ones over the next year though.

Do yourself a favor and go see There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men - they are two of the more exciting movies I've seen in years and well worth the price of admission if for no other reason than to participate in this thread!
Go to Top of Page

Ali 
"Those aren't pillows."

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  09:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Randall (and everyone) - Thanks for the kind words. Please keep checking back every few days until the end of the month, when more regular updates will start appearing.

Randall - The controversy is exactly as GHcool explained. Beaufort seems to be on the roster to placate the Israelis for the unfair dismissal of the ultimately superior The Band's Visit.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000