Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

duh 
"catpurrs"

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  15:06:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While at work last night, I put on my headphones and listened/watched this film online. I found it very intriguing UNTIL Lynch dropped the initial story line and started in with his trademark kooky vignettes. That was when I said to myself, 'this is bs,' and quit watching.

The first half of the film reminded me somewhat of Hitchcock's Vertigo. Why did Lynch have to screw it up by overdoing the artsy-craftsy crap?

Ali 
"Those aren't pillows."

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  15:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The film has the most coherent whole of any of Lynch's films, barring, perhaps, The Straight Story. The two "parts" are most definitely interlinked. Surprised you found it underwhelming. I think it's his best film.
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  16:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's Lynch's best by far. Easily. If you don't get the kooky vignettes -- well, I don't like using kooky as an insult.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  16:38:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with da boyz on this one, duh!

I think it's one of the most cogent studies of social alienation I've ever seen ... and if you've ever been emotionally stranded in the fairy-tale town of La-La-Land, everything makes perfect sense.

Actually, I think many people missed that the women are the same person. Your dreams fuck your realities. And vice versa.

A witty and powerful piece of work. I'd urge you to give it another go.

Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  18:28:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked it too, duh -- but you're not alone in your opinion, as you'll see in this accolade!
Go to Top of Page

Montgomery 
"F**k!"

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  21:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by duh

While at work last night, I put on my headphones and listened/watched this film online. I found it very intriguing UNTIL Lynch dropped the initial story line and started in with his trademark kooky vignettes. That was when I said to myself, 'this is bs,' and quit watching.

The first half of the film reminded me somewhat of Hitchcock's Vertigo. Why did Lynch have to screw it up by overdoing the artsy-craftsy crap?

Thank you, duh. I completely agree. The only Lynch work I liked was The Straight Story.

I think most people just like Mulholland for the girl on girl action. At least, the men do.

I want to sue Lynch, in fact, for putting some of those disturbing images in my head -- namely Eraserhead. (Cold shiver down spine.)

EM :)
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  22:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Monty, try INLAND EMPIRE. I did -- in a theater!
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  23:24:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Montgomery

Thank you, duh. I completely agree. The only Lynch work I liked was The Straight Story.
Looks like you don't like surrealism.
quote:
I think most people just like Mulholland for the girl on girl action. At least, the men do.
Nothing wrong with GOG. But I also thoroughly enjoyed the other 143 minutes of the movie. Lynch is awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  23:25:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by duh

While at work last night, I put on my headphones and listened/watched this film online. I found it very intriguing UNTIL Lynch dropped the initial story line
He didn't drop the initial story line. You'd know this if you watched the rest of the movie.
Go to Top of Page

duh 
"catpurrs"

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  03:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I maintain it was BS.
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  03:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by duh

I maintain it was BS.

You wouldn't know, as you didn't finish.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  07:31:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by duh

I maintain it was BS.
Do you like any surrealist movies?
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  14:28:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What MBI said - how can you know if you gave up half way through? I don't follow that logic. The end is totally brilliant and pretty much explains what's been going on.
Go to Top of Page

MM0rkeleb 
"Better than HBO."

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  14:53:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dem08nic

What MBI said - how can you know if you gave up half way through? I don't follow that logic. The end is totally brilliant and pretty much explains what's been going on.

I'm in the definite minority in that this is exactly why I didn't like this movie!

I liked it a lot better when it was truly weird and dreamlike and didn't make any sense. The last half just damn literalized everything.
Go to Top of Page

duh 
"catpurrs"

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  14:56:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dem08nic

Perhaps I ought to fast-forward and watch the end.

(Surrealist films: I enjoyed 'Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me.')

Would someone be kind enough to message me privately to explain Mulholland Drive to me, so I can understand what brilliance I missed?
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  19:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only thing going for this for me is that it is more watchable than Inland Empire. And I don't mind surrealism or indeed pretension: this just has no elan - at all.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000